Trigger issues

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bh153dc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Pulled out my P3AT today to go to the range. Pulled the trigger and nothing. Light strike #1. Tried another round with pulling the trigger ALL the way to the back of the trigger guard. Nothing happened. This continued for about 10 different rounds. Sometimes the trigger would release and sometimes it would not. I DO NOT dry fire this handgun. I noticed that the trigger bar is clicking multiple times when I tried to pull the trigger. And the trigger bar was pushing the slide up on that end of the handgun. It didn't do this when I put the handgun in the safe 6 months ago. I cleaned the firing pin hole, no shavings. I probably have upwards of about 2000+ rounds through the handgun. I think the issue is with the trigger bar, no where else. Any ideas out there?

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Maybe oil or grease has hardened and caused the trigger bar to stick.

If you can find some "synthetic safe gun scrubber" or other synthetic safe spray gun cleaner your could squirt some down between the polymer grip and aluminum frame with the application tube, as well as everywhere else you can get to.

3. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Could be a couple of things, but won't speculate. Trigger bar? Hammer block?

Unfortunately you'll have to pull the frame off the grip to find out - 2 pins and a spring to unload. I just did it again last night and it can be a bit tricky. I've done it 4 times on my P3AT, and the 1st two were certainly learning experiences. The tricky part is getting the hammer block (spring loaded) cammed onto the hammer. Haven't looked recently, but you might find it in the Tec Werks section on the main page. Good luck. Highly unlikely anything is broken, just out of position.....

4. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Maybe the spring has slipped past the trigger bar. That happened to me when I was swapping out the grip.

5. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    True. If you pull the slide off and watch the trigger bar as you pull the trigger, that will give you all the clues you need. If the trigger bar spring has slipped out of that channel, it won't move like it should. The bar could also have jumped off the pin. No way of getting around a breakdown, though....

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The Trigger pin is a possible cause of this kind of problem. I had to replace mine because the trigger only worked some of the time, I tried to tap it back in place but it just wouldn't go.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggerpin.htm

Not the easiest fix but it can be done and KT will send the parts if needed.

CJ

7. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

WOW! After closer inspection I think I have found the problem. The polymer frame is cracked around the right rear pin! The only time I have used +P ammo was to see if the handgun would function with that particular ammo. I always use WWB for range time. This, I believe, is what is causing the trigger bar to not align properly. Cocoa, FL. here we come.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    KT will certainly replace the grip for you, but if you want to save a few weeks down time, you could do it yourself. They will send you a replacement grip. If you have never done it before, it is perhaps a 15 min job.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

9. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

TxCajun, thanks..... I am on the fence about if I want to attempt this myself. This is one of the things that I love about Kel-tec's. All the mods/fixes that we as owners can do on them. I just hate to screw something up and be without the handgun for a longer period. My P3AT is my everyday carry gun right now (live in the deep South). I think I have gotten my PF9 to the point of trusting it with my life. So I will be calling Kel-Tec for the replacement parts. Besides the grip, is there anything else I should ask them to send me while I am in there? New trigger guard, trigger spring, trigger axis, etc...... Thanks

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    You might as well give it a try, it's actually pretty easy. I have removed the frame from the grip of my PF9 and P3's several times. The only tools I had to buy were a cheap set of punches (>$10) and I drilled a hole in a scrap piece of wood. If you do the repair yourself you will avoid the 6-8 weeks KT normally takes to repair a weapon. The worst thing that could happen is you have to send it to KT anyway so you really won't be out anything for trying.

You could also do a little F&B when you have everything apart, it can make the trigger a bit smoother.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

It sounds like all you really need is a new grip with the hammer block and mag catch already installed. It would be hard to say if anything else is damaged.

CJ

11. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I agree with CJ. Give it a shot. If you get stuck, somebody here will walk you through it. Besides, when you get done, you'll have a much better understanding of how your little guy actually works - and if you have any future issues, they won't be so mysterious.  

12. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Update: I called Kel-Tec to get the replacement grip and they said, "No". I was told to send the handgun in for warranty service??? Do you think I just talked to the wrong person? I said replacement grip not a replacement FRAME.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Either that or they think that something else that needs attentions caused the grip to crack.

14. jmstevens2

jmstevens2 New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Or they just want to see it to determine weather there is a manufacturing issue or not. Mine came with that pin hole out of round and it had never been fired unless KT did it.