Trigger guard question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by QNman, Oct 26, 2007.

1. QNman

QNman New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Greetings, all!

I am a new owner to the P3AT and really like the size of the gun. I finally got to put some rounds through it this weekend, so am even more impressed with both the accuracy and reliability of the little gun. Thanks to lurking here, I performed a partial F&B prior to shooting it, and found it fired with NO FTF or other problems.

My only complaint thus far has to do with the trigger and guard. After firing about 20 rounds, I noticed that the bottom of the trigger was a) sharp and b) short. Consequently, when the trigger reached about halfway to fire, my trigger finger began to rub the guard and get caught at the point of the trigger. After 40 rounds, my finger began to really chafe, and became rather uncomfortable. After 60 rounds, I decided I'd rather fire my other guns rather than continue to suffer on my trigger finger.

I know this isn't a target pistol... however, I don't think it's unreasonable to put 100 rounds through a pistol at the range, particularly when your life may depend on the use of this gun.

Finally, my questions:

1) Is there anyone making a replacement trigger for this little pistol? Something longer, wider and smoother? I don't have particularly large hands, but this little trigger is just too small/short. Thanks to this site, I'm not anxious to buy the cheapo KelTec fix (the add-on trigger).

2) Is there any reason I can't buff the inside of the trigger guard with my Dremel? At least far enough to grind down the uneven casting marks that are creating the chaffing?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Three things to try that may help:

1. Sand smooth any sharp or rough places inside the trigger guard and on the trigger.
    2. Hold the trigger back just a bit longer during recoil.
    3. Use a band-aid on your finger at the range.

3. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Buy your own Band-Aids. Should you let you wife buy them you might get snickers and chuckles at the range.

Wilson – who’s not opposed to Snoopy, just not on his trigger finger [​IMG]

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I sanded the inside bottom of the trigger guard with some 600-grit sandpaper, which smoothed it out quite a bit. I also trimmed the bottom of the trigger a little to make it shorter, and smoothed the tip. My finger still contacts the guard on the trigger stroke, but it's smooth now and isn't really much of a problem anymore.