Trigger guard hurts like hell

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by proman, Nov 15, 2007.

1. proman

proman New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I've got a new P3at and have only fired about 30 rounds through it. The problem is that I'm pretty accurate with it at 25 feet for the first couple of shots, but it hurts like hell to shoot and I begin to flinch and although I still hit the target I'm all over the place.

Will sanding down the inside of the trigger guard and the trigger help much?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I don't know if sanding will work or not. Others on this site will probably help you though. These guns can be rough on the hands. A shooting (or biking) glove should prove helpful.

Good luck.

Reggie

3. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Sanding down the inside of the bottom of the trigger guard with 600-grit will make it a lot smoother. Sanding down the edges on the trigger to make it smooth is also recommended. I've even cut a small amount off the tip of the trigger and tried to round it a bit to avoid the pinch on trigger return.

4. Dolomite

Dolomite New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Houge Handall Junior, put on upside down and trimmed like on GoldenLoki's site. That and a hooked magazine extension.

5. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    And then there's always the bandaid solution (when shooting, not afterwards).

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I think it was Wilson that did a scientific test and proved that Snoopy bandaids worked best!?!

-Scott

7. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes, good advice here and a glove will help at the range. Also +1 on a rubber grip of some type and I like the fingertip extensions also. And by the way, welcome to the forum. ;) Good people here!

8. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I think it was Wilson that did a scientific test and proved that Snoopy bandaids worked best!?!-Scott[/quote]
    Uhhhh . . . IIRC, I recommended against them due to distracting laughter from fellow shooters :-[

Wilson – who’s beginning to think this Sharing thing is so overrated [​IMG]

9. proman

proman New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Flounder, thanks for the welcome, and thanks to the rest of you for the advice. I think I'll try the snoopy thing out...not. I will try the sand paper first and if that doesn't work I'll try the rubber grip. I do have the mags with the finger loop, but that doesn't seem to help much.

10. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO
    That should work, but may I suggest that you improve your P3AT grip a little. A few people I know that are used to 1911 types tend to have a 'soft' pull to match the smooth trigger pull. This little .380 is not smooth and does not respond well to a 'soft' touch.

It needs to be held firmly in the hand so the gun does not move relative to the hand, they need to become one. Then as you pull the trigger, pull it all the way through the shot and the trigger guard won't make contact with your finger.

And don't use the sights. Just point and shoot it like you were angry or scared and the gun performs like it was designed to.

11. A lot of good ideas already listed, and I am one that has done alot of sanding, smoothing and shaping plastic on all of my 3AT's. (Not just the trigger area either.)

A few things I do not do. I do not use a slip on grip. I find the rubber grips want to grab my pockets during a draw. When I NEED the gun, I do not want it trying to stay in my pocket.

I also do not want to get used to shooting with gloves or bandaids (even Snoopy) on my fingers. I think it is important for me to shoot the gun at the range as close to the same condition I would shoot in a SHTF situation.

I try to remember that the 3AT is not a range gun. After the intitial break in period and getting used to the feel of the gun and learning to hit with it (a bit over 500 rounds I would guess) I have limited how much I shoot it. I usually run 1-2 mag fulls once or twice a month. There are times when I do shoot an entire 50 round box of WWB, but that is usually when I shoot with a buddy who has never shot the 3AT, and I am trying to show him the gun.

12. JerryM

JerryM New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    As I have gotten older there does not seem to be the cushion on my fingers that was once there. As a result I have been putting a band aid on my trigger finger before shooting. I have a friend who wraps a layer or two of electricians tape around his finger.

The tape or band aid does not restrict your actions as would a glove.

I also have had the ejector jump out. The first time it happened I had no idea where it came from until I got the book out. I just looked down and said where in the world did this come from, and where does it go. A familiar story I think.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Ok, next time you are at the range shoot 3 times and then get on the ground with your hands on your head as others at the range point their pistols at you, yell at you, and take yours away forever.  That is the most likely way to parallel what will happen in a real SHTF situation...   ;)

I agree with shooting it like you will in reality and you have to be proficient at shooting without anything.  But when it comes to break in time, or extended range trips, a glove is not all the bad and long as that is not what you do every time you shoot the thing.

-Scott

14. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Dolomite:

I use a Houge Handall Junior, however, the raised portion on the front of the Junior does not fit the size of my finger. Can this raised be sanded down with a Dremel tool...in other words...is it solid rubber under the raised portion of the slip-on grip.

Thanks, Boggs

15. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I cut about 3 mm from the end of the trigger (Dremel), sanded both the trigger and inside the guard and slightly rounded and smoothed the edges of same.

Tight grip.

No more problems.

16. YES... the Houge grip is solid rubber. When I had the grip on my first 3AT I had the same finger placement problem. I cut the raised portion off with an xacto knife, then used a dremel sanding drum to smooth it out. You can also "feather the edges" to thin the grip edges down and also remove the texture bumps to make it look like a custon grip.

17. brett30030

brett30030 New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Just sand it down, it will make a big difference.

If that doesn't work put scooby doo bandaids over your eyes, rubber gloves on your feet, and tape the gun to the top of your head while singing "macho man". ;D