Trigger finger hurts, what do I do?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by finz50, May 17, 2008.

1. finz50

finz50 New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Love my P-3AT but have one thing that keeps bugging me.  When I take it to the range, after about 3 magazines, my trigger finger gets sore.  Seems like the recoil is causing the front of the trigger guard to slam into the front of my finger to the point where it's getting annoying.  I've tried to purposefully tighten up my grip and it still seems to keep happening.  What am I doing wrong?  Is this normal? I have some magazine extensions coming my way and hope that will help.  Anyone got any ideas/inputs?

2. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi Finz50.
    I love my P3AT also. I had that same problem.
    I used sand paper and sanded the trigger guard and trigger. it helped a lot.
    Welcome aboard.
    Charlie.

3. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Yep - it hurts but not a range gun . I can only shoot 3-4 mags and thats it . In addition to the sanding it seems to help me if I dont release the trigger at the time of firing
    Welcome to the forum.

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Buy a role of athletic tape at the drug store and put a couple layers over the tip of your trigger finger, just behind the nail. Are you using the pad of your finger to activate the trigger, or the first joint?

edited to add: Do this in addition to the sanding of the trigger guard mentioned above, not instead of it.

5. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I just use a small band aid, and then shoot about 50 rounds at a session. Also, having the Bersa pinky extension helps because it helps keep the gun from kicking upward as much.

But a post above, brings a question to mind. Should we use the pad of our trigger finger, or the first joint? I learned that on DAO revolvers you use the first joint, but on easy pull automatics you use the pad. Because the P3 is DAO and has a long, stiff pull like a revolver, I use my first joint. (I hope this isn't a hijack, and that we get right back to the original question.)

thanx!

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    This is a problem that is easily solved as simply as ABC:

A) The trigger guard cannot hit your finger if your finger is back in the fully pulled position.

B) If the trigger guard IS hitting your finger, you are releasing the trigger too soon. This moves your finger FORWARD at the same time the trigger guard is recoiling BACKWARD.

C) Hold the trigger back just a tiny bit longer and this problem will disappear.

As to which part of the trigger finger to PULL the trigger with:

Using just the pad will give you best accuracy and least muzzle wander with long trigger pull. It's much EASIER to use just the pad with the LHS 3.5 pound trigger pull mod. :D

Packer.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    WHAT HE SAID!!!!

At an armed security course I took last year I was taught that the act of firing the first round is fire and hold the trigger back. The act of firing the second round is release the trigger, fire and hold. Way different than I had done for 30+ years of using weapons. It took a few rounds of getting used to but my accuracy improved a bunch and as a side benefit it prevents the pain you are feeling as described by 2PP!

-Scott

8. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I'm often all wet (which is OK if the water is warm) BUT it seems to me IF your trigger finger is getting thumped by the trigger guard THEN the gun is probably moving around inside your hand during the bangs ... IOW grip too loose/possibly incorrect.

So do like the guys in my first signature book say ... grab it with a ''convulsive grip''.  Other places describe as grip it really hard then back off a little.  works for me.  This is the SD grip whereas a target grip to ease into the squeeze can be fairly light for some shooters.  A fractionally faster rate of fire might but not always be achieved by a softer grip....maybe limpe wristed failures too.

IMHO the advice to slow down trigger return will remove the pain but slow rate of fire.  The guys in the first book below want to get you shooting so it sounds almost like a ''machine gun''.  7 rounds in <2 sec! ... ''Oh Momma, that rattler is dead.''

9. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    I like to shoot two pistols at once in staccato action so that it actually DOES sound like a machine gun. (Once in a while this gets the neighbors curious.) Anyway--With proper trigger motion, you can shoot as fast as you want without any finger pain.

Packer.

10. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    i agree...sand down all the rough edges and with packer's advice practice proper trigger control.....remember this is mainly a carry weapon....if it's that's uncomfortable there are many other range/targets guns out there that shoot like"caddillacs".......

11. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    [quote author=With proper trigger motion, you can shoot as fast as you want without any finger pain.

Packer.[/quote]

Yep -- that's what I'm sayin.