Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Kel Tec and this forum. After a full year of searching I finely purchased a Gen 2 G-19 & 23 to replace our 12 Ga auto loader for home defense. On day one I put 265 rounds of 9mm through it with out even a hick up, the rounds included standard loads, +p and +p+. The next day with a sore and sensitive trigger finger, I inspected the trigger and found two places with sharp plastic burrs. After sanding the trigger smooth, my wife put 100 rounds thru the gun with no similar issues.
This is not a complaint, just an observation. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Welcome to the KTOG forum, Gashman. Don't run +P+ in any KelTec design. Period. Even +P is not a good idea on a regular basis. Read your owner's manual.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah the feel of the triggers leave something to be desired. Buffing out the rough spots, especially the super sharp tip is standard. A piece of heat shrink might help as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, the trigger comes out sharp, burred and not what I would call 'finished'. Needs a little work.

It's the most cheap feeling trigger I own including my kids BB and air soft stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did in fact sand out the burrs in a strange way I'm happy to hear others have had similar findings. So far as ammunition restrictions I re-read my manual and couldn't locate anything relating to that. The closest mention I could find was in the weapon description, "The Sub-2000 rifle is intended as a compliment to the handgun with which it would have full interchangeability in ammunition and magazines". (Pg5, Description) That makes it seem that since my EDC is a Glock 17 loaded with +P 9mm its being used as intended. If I missed something please advise.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
So far as ammunition restrictions I re-read my manual and couldn't locate anything relating to that. The closest mention I could find was in the weapon description, "The Sub-2000 rifle is intended as a compliment to the handgun with which it would have full interchangeability in ammunition and magazines". If I missed something please advise.
My bad. I didn't realize they had dropped that reference in the 2nd Gen manual. KelTec has always had a warning about using non-standard ammo in their rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Handloads, steel cartridge cases, and overloads would be in that category. The Gen1 was rated for +P and of course the Gen2 is too. Although the Gen2 is supposedly upgraded, most agree that using +P continuously will shorten it's life. I can guarantee neither is rated for +P+ which is not recognized or accepted as a SAAMI standard loading. Good luck with shooting much of that.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
It's still there, last page. Just reworded a tish. Kel Tec has always considered steel, aluminum and even handloads and +P+ to be non-standard.

The SUB-2000™ is a dangerous weapon. The purchaser assumes all liability resulting from
unsafe handling or any action that constitutes a violation of any applicable laws or
regulations. Kel-Tec will not be responsible for injuries or damages resulting from careless
handling, unauthorized or unsafe adjustments or modifications, the use of non-standard,
defective, or improper ammunition,
the use of incompatible or improperly installed
accessories, corrosion, neglect, fire damage, water damage, theft, abuse, ordinary wear
and tear, or unreasonable use of the SUB-2000™. Under no circumstances shall Kel-Tec
be responsible for incidental or consequential damages with respect to economic loss or
injury or property damage, whether as a result of breach of express or implied warranty,
negligence or otherwise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input having to do with ammunition. I did see that paragraph in the warranty "the use of non-standard,
defective, or improper ammunition," I'm by no means an expert but as a retired cop I would interpret that to mean crazy hand loads or ammunition made with no commercial quality control. Under no circumstances will I be feeding it plus P rounds as its routine diet for plinking or target practice.
Again I thank everyone for their input and friendly advice.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You can interpret it any way you wish. I'm just telling you how Kel Tec has interpreted it in the past. ..after all, it's THEIR warranty. To them non standard means steel or aluminum cased, reloaded or handloaded and +P+ ammo.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Yes, but in limited use. All Kel-tecs will handle it in limited use. As in shoot some to make sure it will work, then use it for your SD loads. But don't use it as regular range fodder. Remember, the Sub2K is designed to shoot both 40 S&W as well as 9mm. 40 S&W is already considered a max load, hence no one even makes a +p factory load for it. 9mm +p is simply a little harder hitting than regular 9mm. +p+ is just plain not recommended period.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Yes, but in limited use. All Kel-tecs will handle it in limited use. As in shoot some to make sure it will work, then use it for your SD loads. But don't use it as regular range fodder. Remember, the Sub2K is designed to shoot both 40 S&W as well as 9mm. 40 S&W is already considered a max load, hence no one even makes a +p factory load for it. 9mm +p is simply a little harder hitting than regular 9mm. +p+ is just plain not recommended period.
The problem is pressure. Most people assume that the 40 S&W is a "hot" load. Actually, the 40 just moves a heavier and larger diameter bullet than the 9, to create more impact. The 9 MM Para runs at 35,000 PSI. The 40 S&W runs at the same 35,000 PSI. 9 MM Para +P runs at 38,500 PSI. The +P+ runs somewhere North of that with no specified limit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Heatshrink fixed up the sharp edges of my Sub2k trigger.

I've run one mags worth of Winchesters PDX +p through mine as that is what is also loaded up in my Glock for EDC/HD duties. Standard pressure 115 is what mine usually digests with the occasional 124 every now and then. But if I had to pull the mag out of the Glock it was nice to know it would feed fine in the Sub2k in a pinch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.