Tree Rat season started

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Bert, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Season open this weekend in TN, but...so far I have not done a thing :-/

Anyone go out & collect a few ?

BTW, dove season starts Wednesday at noon. I think Dad & I are going to head out to one of the WMA's for a overnighter (and get in a bit of turkey scouting too)

B.

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    our (GA) season started Aug. 15. I didn't even realize it until I picked up a hunting Reg. at Wally World. I'd missed opening day! I've not drawn a bead on one yet this season. The place I hunt deer can have a bunch of them. One year you had to shake them off the barrel before you could line up your shot. Turkey season dosen't start until March, so it is a little early for that.
    Bert, did you get that lever shottie working?
    My nephew is going to take the hunters education course on line and we are going deer hunting this season. We will probably do some tree rat practice.

3. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Lop, The lever shottie is at the gunsmith for warranty work. I need to check on it this week.

Well, I may have to run down and shoot a few zombie squirrels with you.

B.

4. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Squirrel season came in last weekend in Ky. Missed that. We have had some nice cool weather the last week with mornings in the 50's. Missed that too. I love squirrel hunting; love taking my kids. Just gotta find the time to get out and do it.

Funny that you never see as many squirrels when you are squirrel hunting as you do when you are deer hunting and they are pestering you!

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Unfortunately I've had to miss out on some hunting this year myself. Normally pics would have already been posted and stories shared but being down here in TX for AIT has caused me to miss out on quite a bit. Maybe somebody back home will be nice and leave one or two for me to get once I get back. Heck, I'm even going to miss the opening day of bow season too :(

6. wow6599

wow6599 Guest

Why do they make ya'll wait so long? Missouri runs from 05/22 - 02/15......already bagged a ton this year ;)

7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    let me know when. I work fool hours, but weekends are mostly open. J.

8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, Got my first tree rat this year(35 yards) with my new Henry. If there were any smithereens in that dude, the .22mag blew them out. ;D

9. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I got one with my FN Five-seveN at about 25-30 yards and I couldn't find his smithereens either

My neighbor got one at at about 50 yards using my HFN57 but his eye-sight is way better than mine, lol.

10. Danman28

Danman28 New Member

Oct 2, 2010
    I know this might be a stupid question....But what is a tree rat?

11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well.....
    picture a rat.
    Now put that rat in a tree.
    Give that rat a furry tail and what do you have? a squirrel.

12. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    let me know when. I work fool hours, but weekends are mostly open. J. [/quote]

John,

I am hunting turkey this week, but still want to get down soon to try & help gather up dog food for your pups.

I guess I need to look into a one-day Ga small game permit. Do I need a area permit ?

I was on a plot yesterday at the Chuck Swan WMA that was covered up with tree rats. The acorns were so thick that you couldn't walk without crunching (was a quota hunt, so small game was closed for the period)

B.

13. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    My, Danman,

you are a busy poster ! Welcome to KTOG

Caveat...If the tree rat is on the ground, and has a short furry tail, it may be a chipmunk.  It takes a few more of them to make a meal.  SO, go with *long* bushy tail for tree rats. (tip..be sure they are deceased before inserting them into your backpack.  He!! of a surprise otherwise when you unzip it. <think tazmanian devil with short attention span>

B.

14. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    let me know when. I work fool hours, but weekends are mostly open. J. [/quote]

John,

I am hunting turkey this week, but still want to get down soon to try & help gather up dog food for your pups.

I guess I need to look into a one-day Ga small game permit. Do I need a area permit ?

I was on a plot yesterday at the Chuck Swan WMA that was covered up with tree rats.  The acorns were so thick that you couldn't walk without crunching (was a quota hunt, so small game was closed for the period)

B.[/quote]

Went back to the same plot today, and same results. Loads of turkey sign, but nada.  No birds.  However,   Tree-rats were even thicker today.  We could easily limited out, but...quota big game hunt, so small game was closed.  I had squirrels within a few feet of me most of the morning, and Dad actually had one tromp across his feet (and these are not park rats!).  No bobcat sightings either.

15. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    One fall I was hunting with some of the men I worked with in the vicinity of a lake. It was a dry fall, and the squirrels were tromping through the leaves, sounding like elephants. One fellow came back to camp telling abouth the squirrel that ran across his foot. The next afternoon, I was sitting on a broken over tree, looking over a valley leading to the lake. A squirrel was on a snag about twenty feet from me. He kept coming around on my side of the snag, looking at me an running around to the back. I thought I would sit still and see how close he might come.
    That squirrel jumped off of that snag, and in one bound, was in my lap. I jumped up and swatted at him with the rifle butt. After I calmed down, I turned to see if he was still in the area. He was plastered to a nearby tree. His side were heaving, I don't know who was the most startled, him or me. We were both breathing pretty hard.

Life is short, be happy

16. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    [quote author=JR37 link=1283114578/0#14 date=1286595935
    That squirrel jumped off of that snag, and in one bound, was in my lap.  [/quote]

It is better to shoot tthem on sight.

I still need find time and write up my story about finding a squirrel passed out in a bucket of fermented tomatoes.

Unbelievably nasty temper...I would rather encounter a rotwieller with a toothache. The little SOB must have had a hell of a hang-over.

B.

17. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I've a bit of woods right out back, and permision to hunt it. I was rained out again today (we ain't Morton salt, when it rains, we don't pour :( ), so I wondered down thru the back woods. Not much deer sign/sightings this year. It is a small patch o' woods with thousands of acres across hwy 9 (Dawson Forest). I had my .270 with me (.38 snub & NAA, P3 is home to mother). No deer sighted, but those squirrl were everywhere. One hit me up for spare change. I went home and got my Henry (.22mag) and a single shot .410 in case I had to coax one down out of a tree. Ended up cleaning three of the little buggers. I don't eat much squirrl, but I fix 'em for my dogs. I'd shoot one, bring it home to clean and let the woods calm down a bit, then go out for another. My dogs were happy. That Henry is a little rough on the buggers, but it is such a sweet gun, it is hard to leave it home. Those of you who say you do head shots on a squirrl, are you using scopes? I'm shooting 35 to 65 yards with iron sights and pleased to be hitting them. I'm not wasting the meat and I view squirrl as good training. Those little buggers are small and quick. I find it easy enough to keep focused on the front sight when punching paper, but to do it with a live critter out there is a little harder. You are working agianst a lot of hardwired programming.

18. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Squirrel hunt with transistor radio ?

Old timers will know what a transistor radio is (young folks may have to look up transistor...)

So there was this old codger at the checking station the other day, telling how he lures tree-rats down to a transistor radio propped against a tree trunk some short distance from his stand. Not sure if it was loud, soft (probably), rock, classic, gospel, or country.

Anyone done this ?

B.

19. fnsmoak

fnsmoak New Member Supporter

Dec 13, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Re: Squirrel hunt with transistor radio ?

I WILL TRY THIS TOMORROW!

If I can find a transistor radio....

more later

GUNSMOAK.com

20. Goldtanker

Goldtanker New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Re: Squirrel hunt with transistor radio ?

Who needs some old radio.  I've got cable here at the house.   ;)

[​IMG]