Trading Post

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by rufus, Jan 11, 2011.

1. rufus

rufus New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    How do I get into the Trading Post area? It says that I have to read some rules that are on the stickie at the top, but I do not find such a stickie. Help!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    at the very top of the page, there is a blue bar with "check messages".

Click on that and see if there is not a PM with the rules

BTW welcome to KTOG

there are also 4 threads at the top of this section that might be worth the read

3. rufus

rufus New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    There is nothing about rules in my PM.

4. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
  5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Check again. The following PM is sent to all new members upon registration:

6. jehzsa

jehzsa New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Just wondering. Is there a "special exemption" of some sort to the 25-meaningful-posts rule?

Reason I'm asking is that in my case I have been a member since 2006. And I barely have 12 posts, including this one.

I figger that at the rate I'm going, I should be able to log-in at the Trading Post on or about June 2017. Taking into account that the world is about to end on December 21, 2012, I would really really like to take a look there before we hit the bucket. :'(   And in the meantime help the economy.

All kidding aside, I am not a troll nor a spammer. Not since 1968 anyway.

Can I? Can I?  :)

7. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    So..., you are asking a moderator to spend time changing site parameters for a person who does not participate in forums any more than 3 times a year ??

Seems like it would be easier to spend a few days joining in a conversation. :-/

B.

8. jehzsa

jehzsa New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    You mean a meaningful conversation like this one?  :-?

I see... one less, twelve more to go.

If I keep this up it just might happen. But then I could also get banned.

Can you see the difference? No? OK then, maybe I'll get the chance to make it eleven less to go.

9. Drywall8

Drywall8 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I wish that the error message "
    You are not allowed to access this section" said something more like "You have not met the 25 post minimum requirement." It took me a bit to figure out the post requirement.

I dont like it because i dont like to post on forums much especially when i dont have a kel tec yet but im planning on getting one and want to look on the trade forum so i guess i will start asking my questions now.

10. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    There is an extensive "Other Guns" section for discussing non-Kel-tec guns you may own or be interested in.  There is an Accessories section where there is actually a lively thread ongoing on something as trivial as what pocket knife you carry.  Scopes, slings, holsters?  It's in there.  There is a Great Outdoors section where you can discuss anything going on outside.  There is a Fluff and Buff section for what we do to keep em running.

If you can't find somewhere in here to make some inane but useful posts about something that's on YOU, not us.  Almost anything goes in here somewhere with the exception that we try to keep the politics and religious discussions to a minimum.  Broaden your horizons!

:)

11. Drywall8

Drywall8 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I see the benefits to your policy but then i started thinking about it more.

Cant the people in the trading form see i have less than 25 posts?
    If they dont want to trade with someone with less than 25 posts they can make that choice them self.
    Im just not a big fan of protecting people from hurting them self, its almost like telling them they cant buy a certain type of gun because it might be dangerous.

Your policy is not outlandish and is more than reasonable with good intentions and no one is making me use this forum i can walk away at any time so you guys are of course free to run it how you like. I just wanted to point out a different way of looking at it.

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    It used to work that way. Unfortunately, several people couldn't read even the SIMPLE rules that we had back then. Then, we posted the rules VERY visibly. People still couldn't follow that, so we went to the current system. Quite a few folks were banned, ALL of them because they only cared about their wallet or ripping folks off.

There was much consternation when the policy went into place. I love it now, and most of us do as well. There are plenty of opportunities here to have some meaningful posts about your interests, likes etc.

If you can't be bothered to do that much, why would I even dream of sending you money for a product which may never come?

13. Drywall8

Drywall8 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I agree with you i just think it should be your choice to do business with who you want in general.

Obviously i wasn't around when it was a big problem so i dont know how bad it was. I might have made the same policy and its probably for the best from what it sounds like.

Im just a libertarian at heat and a bit of a purist.

14. mike16U

mike16U New Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I've learned a lot about Keltecs from this sight....I do find it odd that you reward the "talkers" while punishing the "listeners"......

How many more posts ( like this one) do I need before I can see what folks are selling ? mike

15. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  16. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Oh contraire ,  talkers can be punished too.
    People coming in and running up a bunch of one liner post just to get to the trading post are punished...

This is just general info not just pointed at you mike16U , but for all our readers  ;)

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1111130452

A couple quotes from the rules linked above . Note , before getting to use the Trading post it would be very wise to read the whole rules section linked and the TP rules in particular.

I just used the TP twice this week. Once as buyer and once as seller. In both cases members are people I have dealt with before on here and I can not say how nice it was to deal with them. As a buyer I knew what I was getting would be as good or better than described. As a seller I try to be as clear as possable and have no reason worry about the buyer as his transaction activity has always been AAA+++ .
    I only wish the posting requirements were higher so as to know better with whom I'm dealing with...  ymmv but then you can ...  feel free to not participate in the Trading Post activities.

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    OK, up to now I've pretty much stayed out of this and let people whine and rant.  What some apparently don't realize is that your complaints are beginning to become offensive and frankly insult our intellignece.  Do you really think after all these years we have no clue about what we are doing, that we are just idiots that haven't thought this through...  That our only goal is to deny you your god given right to do whatever you please wherever you like, and that your devine wisdom trumps our years of experience in actually doing this?  

Like it or not, our forum rules are based on experience, some of which you probably would never imagine.  Not that it matters, but there are certainly other forums that have a required level of participation before extending all rights and priveleges, including trading.  I know of one forum that requires 100 posts before you can buy or sell.  Which begs the point...  should posts in this thread, complaining about the meager post requirement, count towards that post requirement?  

The rules are clear.  The Trading Post is not why we exist.  In fact, we haven't always had one.  It is a benefit to our members in good standing with 25+ posts.  People can and have had the privilege removed.  This forum is primarily a resource for information about Kel-tec guns.  If you don't like the way we operate, feel free to keep that to yourself.  Certainly no one in this thread has said anything particularly novel or indicative any significant level of understanding of the issues involved.  If you can imagine a problem that involves a buyer or a seller, we've seen it.  GunBroker has rules, Ebay has rules, plus they charge money for their services.  I'm long done apologizing to any ingrates that don't like the way we offer free services on our dime and our time. >:(

Rant off and back to being Mr Niceguy.   :)   

18. Wyldman

Wyldman New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Booyah! and well said TxCajun! We have been getting the same static from people on our local forum, mainly from people who think that we are thier own personal free for sale site. We don't like doing business with people we don't have at least some experience with, and, being a local forum, scammers can get into all kinds of problems cheating the guys in our area. We do this as much for thier benefit as our own.

Some people's kids! Sheesh!

19. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Even libertarians can maintain the right to refuse service to anyone regardless of race, creed, color, or religion.  Nice argument, but it doesn't hold water.

In our case it's better to say you can satisfy all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.  But you can never satisfy all the people all the time.

I have very libertarian leanings and I've never had a problem with any of the rules in here.  I'm not paying for the information in here or the fact that it is in here on someone elses dime.  I'm certainly not going to tell the guy who's providing free access to this sight how to run it!

;)

This in itself implies you still haven't read or understand the simple rules we have in place.  And they are openly there for your perusal.  Your suggestion violates one of the primary rules we have in place.  "2.  In a given For Sale thread, the first posted, "I'll take it" (or words to that effect) has priority.  This assumes that the buyer is willing to pay the asking price.  Others may post, "2nd, 3rd dibs", etc.  This establishes a pecking order should a sale fall through or there be multiple items."

Even with the rules simplified as much as possible we still have need to make several corrections per month on sales or buys in there.  Usually due to newer or less active members not reading beyond the 25 post requirement to access it.  It's a one post less than 5 minute read. It's not rocket science.

20. Deadmannumberone

Deadmannumberone New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I've been to forums where you have to be there for days before you get access to the non-topical/trade boards (in one instance 30 days for non-topical, and 100 days for trade, though most are in the 15-20 day range).

As far as getting posts, the Fluff & Buff / TecWerks, Other Guns and The Right to Keep and Bear Arms boards should give you ample opportunity to make an extra 3-5 posts per day.