Trading Post

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by hps, Dec 23, 2008.

1. hps

hps New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Why can't I access the trading post? :-/

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    because you need 25 posts.  This is clearly stated in the rules of the range.

3. chibajoe

chibajoe New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Is this something that has been recently implemented? It's been a while since I've posted, but I seem to recall that the last time I was here there was no 25 post rule.

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Yeah, they started it maybe 4-5 months ago. It's no big deal, just pop into a few threads and join in the conversation. You'll have 25 posts before you know it.

Rick

5. hps

hps New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Sounds great, I don't often read the rules of the message boards i goto." Rules, we don't need any stinkin rules"

6. HatRon56

HatRon56 Grand Poobah Supporter

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    I some times have trouble with AOL.

I then switch to Internet Explorer and it works fine.

7. chibajoe

chibajoe New Member

Jan 6, 2007

LOL, WUT? :eek:

8. rocketman

rocketman New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    I guess I'll use this post to help get my post count up. :-/

I hope to remain a respectful member of this board (if allowed by you guys) because I am a new Sub 2000 owner and this is a great place to learn.

That said what is the deal with having to have 25 posts to see the trading post? I'll take Rick's advice and throw some posts out there but what does posting 25 casual comments have to do with anybody's credibility, honesty, experience, maturity or anything else?

It always cracks me up when a high internet post count is assumed to mean anything other than what it is. A high post count.

Thanks for allowing me one more post towards being someone. ;)

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You can go back and read this answer in lots of different areas, but to sum it up you are right, 25 casual comments doesn't give us much of a chance to know someone's "credibility, honestly, experience, maturity or anything else" but it does give us 25 times more chances to get to know you then allowing a brand new post to get there.  Just running up a post count to get there will say a lot about a member as well.

The TP is not what this forum is about and if someone gets their post count up just to get there they will be sorely disappointed.  It is a side benefit offered to members who contribute meaningfully to the forum.

-Scott

10. rocketman

rocketman New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Points well made and taken. The only reason I care a whit about my post count is because there is a thread in one of the forums that involves a couple of aftermarket parts that I would like to buy if they become available.

In that thread it has been made crystal clear by a mod that the only way these aftermarket parts can be purchased on this board is thru the trading post (understandable) and that any attempt to contact the developer via PM to "go around" the board will be discovered. (Amazing......)

I'm going to do my best to add something in my 25 posts but I'm a newbie to Kel-Tec so it may not be much.

By the way sincere thanks for the thoughtful reply to my post.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Mock the rule if you like.  Still, I would not advise sending money to buy something from someone on the internet with zero means of making a judgement about them - like YOU, for instance.

Of course having 25 posts does not mean that someone knows more than others or is automatically trustworthy, etc.  However, about the only means of judging anyone here is based upon what they have written.  If they have written liitle or nothing, there is no means at all.  We judge vendors on GunBroker and Ebay by their feedback, number of transactions, etc.  Since this is not an auction site, we do not have that capability.  Therefore, something is better than nothing.  

Since you are new here, you have no idea of the history and circumstances that led up to this practice and obviously you are unaware that some other sites do the same - some with a much higher bar, I might add.  I have seen sites that require 50 and 100 posts to buy or sell.  Yet you don't mind criticizing our practice or the folks that run this site for free on their own time.  Thanks for supplying us with some means with which to judge your character.  Meanwhile, as you browse the Sub2k forum, realize that the information there took many years and thousands of hours to assemble and maintain.  And, please excuse us for any inconvience we may have caused you.  We are obviously idiots and have no idea what we are doing.  ::)    

12. rocketman

rocketman New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    TxCajun I was just expressing my opinion and even used the smilies to try and make it light hearted. If I was a troublemaker I would have made my post in the thread in question. I'm not. That's why I posted my comments in what I thought was the correct place.

IMHO your last comment was a little over the top don't you think? Opps I see the smilie now....  :)

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It's cool.  Most folks don't realize the number of hours it takes to run this site nor the behind the scenes thought and effort that go in to it.  I often put in as much time here as my real job plus there are 6 moderators logging in time and effort as well.  Forgive me if it gets rather tiring when folks with zero investment are critical of our efforts.  We try hard to make this a good place to hang out and share information.  

While the post count requirement might be inconvenient for newbies, it is something that we discussed at some length and is based on years of experience.  We are not trying to be Craig's List.  The Trading Post is a very small aspect of this site.  At any given time, there are more guests on line here than members.  In about 10 seconds, I could close viewing the entire forum to members only but that is not our desire.  Folks are free to lurk all they like on 19 different boards.  That is how our membership grows.    However, viewing the TP and posting in the Counter are privileges that are extended to participating members - they are not some public right.  

If someone is new to Kel-tec and wants to participate here, I think they could quickly amass 25 posts just asking intelligent questions.  If you are a seasoned veteran of the gun world, participating in a variety of discussions should be easy.  And no, we don't care for folks that just register and post 25 one-liners in an obvious attempt to circumvent the rule.  I just banned some moron who made 25 posts like this in this very thread:  Post #1, post #2, etc.  Of course if you just want to lurk and read, that's fine too.     

P.S.  The forearm in which you are interested is still in the developmental stage.  It is not yet available in the TP anyway and probably won't be for some time.  You have ample opportunity to...  Post up!  ;) 

14. rocketman

rocketman New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    We are good to go no problems. Thanks for the follow-up post !

15. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Rocketman, I've added you to a list of interested folks for those parts.  Right now that list is up to around 50, but 60% of them still don't have enough posts to get in the TP.  And more than a few only have 1 or 2 posts total, specifically in that thread.  You would have a hard time convincing me they have even read all of that thread, much less the forum rules.  That's why I have made such strong statements in that thread.  I don't want anyone coming back at us and saying "I didn't know".  Once they think they are ready to produce the parts, we'll open another thread to get a firm count of how many want them so they know how many to make.  I will make my list available to the maker, or I personally will pm everyone on that list for them to verify they are still interested.  But as soon as they say they are ready to sell, it's getting moved to the TP.

;)

16. rocketman

rocketman New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks for adding me to the list. I'll check in on the thread often to follow the progress. Looks like great potential there!

17. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I for one apreciate all the hard work you all do to make this a great site. I have seen many sites go down hill fast because they give free rein to everyone. They get filled with spam so fast they lose all the good members. I had no problem getting my 25 posts and I learned allot about how to conduct myself here looking around the site.
    Keep up the great work and don't let a few complainers discourage you.

18. islp55

islp55 New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I agree it should not be free range. I was at the shoot out in Krotz Springs and this post requirement was mentioned...I did not ask for special consideration from tex. I told them I would just "=1" a buch of posts....I was kidding of course.

19. jacksdad

jacksdad New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Of course, none of us would every try to artificially "up" our number of posts... ;)

20. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Just to make sure it's clear, that's 25 MEANINGFUL posts.
    Posting a one liner like "adding to my post count" will get you banned.