Trading Post Issues

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by Cremator, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I traded in my PF-9 for a P-3AT, so I have a Hogue Jr. already trimmed to fit the PF-9.  Only fired 1 box with it on.  I really just want a KTOG'er to have it, so I will give it away for $5 just to cover shipping & packaging.

Here it is on my (someone else's now) PF-9

[​IMG]

Drop me a PM if you want it.[reason]to change title[/reason]

2. Cottage

Cottage New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Re: Hogue Jr. $5

pm sent.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  4. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Funds received from curiousangler. Will ship out tomorrow.

5. Re: Hogue Jr. $5

RULES! READ BEFORE POSTING HERE!
    Oct 26th, 2006, 10:31pm Rules for Using the Trading Post

Protocol for buying and selling:

A. First publicly posted "I'll take it", or words to that effect, has 1st right of purchase (or sale in the case of a WTB).

B. If the poster is asking for a Private Message or Email response, post in the thread "PM sent", "Email Sent", etc. This establishes who responded first.

C. Others may post 2nd, 3rd dibs, etc, again to establish a pecking order in the event that a transaction falls through.

D. When a deal has been made, the seller should post SPF (sold pending funds) in the thread. When the transaction has been completed, the poster should edit his original post and add (SOLD!) to the front of the title of the thread.

E. If you have your merchandise listed elsewhere, up for local sale, etc, please mention that in your post, and let folks know ASAP if it sells here or elsewhere.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1161919868

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Agreed!  It certainly appears that the rules were ignored by both the buyer and seller.  I fail to understand why people can not read and follow simple rules that are stickied at the top of this forum, in a thread, the title of which is in all caps and says...  RULES! READ BEFORE POSTING HERE!

It should be known that we now have the ability to restrict members from even seeing, let alone using the Trading Post.  Looks like I will have to be employing that feature.  :-/

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Tx - PM Sent.

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

wtf. can people not read Tx?

the gene pool seems to be receding....

9. Re: Hogue Jr. $5

Tx.... I did not mean to set off a bomb.. and for the record I did not call Barney!

But I am curious...

If it is possible, do you think it may help if there was a way to configure the TP area in such a manner that users had to send you or another moderator a statement that they read, understood, and will comply with TP rules BEFORE they could post in the TP section?

Of course, it may wind up being just like every other box I check when I install new software. BLAH BLAH BLAH yeah yeah yeah......click ACCEPT ....... click CONTINUE. :-/

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

First of all, since this item has apparently sold, I'm moving this thread to the Admin section for further discussion.

Having studied the issue, and the forum capabilities, I can see no way to do this automatically.  The best I can do is establish a new user group, say "Traders", and restrict use of the TP to that group.  In order to use the TP you would have to send me a PM declaring that you have read, understand, and will follow the rules in the TP.  Then I would have to manually go to your profile and do an admin edit to add you to the Traders group.  

I'm sure this would result in the immediate need for hundreds of such actions and thousands, eventually.  Obviously, the time and trouble would be considerable.

As I mentioned, I have the ability to restrict individual members from the TP.  An easier solution for me would be to impose that restriction on people who will not read and follow the rules.  Then in order to have their access reinstated, they would have to PM me that they have now read the rules, will follow, etc, and ask to be reinstated.  In other words, why punish everyone (especially me) for the actions of a few?

There have been quite a few members (moderators included) who have suggested placing a minimum post requirement for using the TP.  Frankly, in the past, newbies have not really been the problem.  Sadly, it has primarily been with more senior users.  I could tell you some stories...  

However, I am now considering the following:

1.  Change the number of posts required to go from newbie to Junior member to 25.
    2.  Restrict newbies from the TP.

This would make newbies reach the Jr level at 25 rather than 50 posts, and require 25 post to view the TP.  Then I'm sure I'll get 30 PMs per day from Newbies wondering why they can't access the TP.  Of course I could add that fact to the regular KTOG Rules of the Range, but then who reads and follows them?  :-/

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

And while we are at it, while not egregious examples of "thread-crapping", I find these posts to be somewhat questionable.  I think the give-away thread is a fine thing, but participation is certainly voluntary.  A post like this might embarrass the seller.  Clearly, the implication is that perhaps they should have given the grips away, paid the shipping, donated, etc.  It might also cause a would be buyer to think twice about posting.  Perhaps that is why this purchase went underground, so to speak, I don't know.  But I do know that a PM could have accomplished the same thing without going public.

gpr.... have you considered this thread?

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211848755/0[/quote]

Again, stuff like this...  best handled via PM.  
    That's all I'm saying.   ;)

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

And see, this is where you can't just say "people don't read the rules..."  

The rules clearly allow:

I don't see the posts you "questioned" as anything but perfect examples of what is allowed by the rules as highlighted above.  

Maybe we should just make it so only the original poster can post in the TP thread and ALL responses need to be private? That would take care of just about every concern I have seen rasied.

-Scott

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I think when someone is trying to sell something, posting in their thread that they should instead give it away, is somewhat disparaging.  It calls into question their judgment.  

[highlight]Clearly, a PM would be the better approach.[/highlight]  
    It accomplishes the same thing without the possibility of embarressing anyone or putting them on the spot, etc. Surely you can understand that...

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Reasonable people disagree over such things.  What apparently seems obvious to some is completely hidden from the perspective of others.  

I don't see that anyone posted that they should give something away instead.  All I see is a "did you know this was there" and an encouragement for others to consider the other option as well.  A PM would have done the first but not the second.  And, at least speaking for me, there was no intent to be anything "embarassing" or putting anybody "on the spot" so I didn't even consider using a PM.  

To whatever extent I might have embarassed anyone or appeared to have questioned anybody's judgment, I apologize.  Nothing could have been further from my intent.  I'm done with this, I'm sorry again.

-Scott

15. curiousangler

curiousangler New Member

May 7, 2008
    Sorry the rules were not followed, my bad I thought I was ok to say I will take it . And yes I know I dont have 25 post on this board but I dont have a lot of knowledge to offer on any of the the subjects posted , I learn alot here from reading others but. If I felt the need to reply to a post I would but I wouldn't do it just to get my post count up . So if I am wrong cool ,hate me or like me thats just me , I also would not use this forum as just a venue to sell just thought I would jump on a good deal.