Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
steelerfan said:
would you trade in you p3at at a loss to buy a ruger lcp
NO!  But I would trade yours for one of several other Ruger pistols or a stainless 10/22. But only if they were used. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well...my first thought was no. The more I thought about it the more I found myself asking, "why would I want to do that?" My P-3AT has been perfect and there would be no chance for me to gain anything. I could only lose in such a trade.

If you get a chance to make a choice, choose Kel-Tec.

Billy

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
i (usually never, except twice) do not get rid of any guns to purchase a new one.

ymmv. if you want a ruger, save for it then have both

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Yea, that way when the Ruger goes in for service, you'll still have the Kel-tec. [smiley=laugh.gif]

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
doubloon said:
They're basically the same gun except one has a Jolly Roger for a corporate logo.

I don't see why it wouldn't at least be an even trade.
find me a dealer that will take a used gun even-steven to trade for a new.

i do not presume normal people in FTF transactions would take trade-ins....

:-/

·
Registered
585 Posts
steelerfan said:
Nope!  But, I did buy an Elsie Pea when one of my favored, local dealers offered me one at a good price about two months ago, when most were charging close to list price or more.  :)

So, that makes the family count two (2) genuine P-3AT's and one copy.  The copy shoots a little bit low, with a 6 o'clock target hold, but will shoot similar group sizes as do our Kel-Tec's.  Ruger does not have any finger extensions and the Bersa's leave an unsightly gap.  Even with the ounce heavier slide, lacking a finger extension is a bummer. An acquaintance at the range graciously agreed to check the velocity of factory Federal American Eagle and clipped the base of his chronograph because he was having trouble holding on to it.  :(

My guess is that Ruger is still experiencing the manufacturing learning curve that Kel-Tec has graduated from.  We are on our second Ruger barrel due to FTRB (failure to return to battery) issue with the first.  It is now reliable, but I still can't figure out how to detail strip the slide.  The firing pin was easy, but I don't understand how to remove the extractor.  Unlike this helpful forum, the guys at the Ruger forum just told me how foolish I am when I asked. Heck, my wife can tell me that!  I just wanted an answer to a simple disassembly question. :eek:

There are no hard chrome LCP's at this time.  I like hard chrome and consider our hard chrome P-3AT a real bargain compared to buying a blued model and then getting it plated.

So, my advice is, "Keep your P-3AT."  Find a friend who bought a copy by Ruger to satisfy your curiosity.  If you get over to the Pima Pistol club here in Tucson, you are welcome to shoot mine.  Bring your own brass-cased ammo, of course.  I'm cheap.    ::)

TucsonMTB . . . who is often curious about new toys

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
virtual-rjhauser said:
[quote author=doubloon link=1218331326/0#4 date=1218332580]They're basically the same gun except one has a Jolly Roger for a corporate logo.

I don't see why it wouldn't at least be an even trade.
find me a dealer that will take a used gun even-steven to trade for a new.

i do not presume normal people in FTF transactions would take trade-ins....

:-/[/quote]
Oops, sorry. I missed the part somewhere about it being a dealer. I was assuming it was someone he knew that wanted to do a FTF trade with some cash. I have friends who trade guns and gun parts for other guns or gun parts all the time. Bad assumption on my part maybe and I have to agree you should plan on taking it in the teeth if you want to trade in a gun to a dealer for something else.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes it was a stipid question. i had a few glasses of a amber liguid made in holland and it must have addled my brain. clear thinking today. i own p32 p3at pf9 i am a keltec fan. i cant see buying a lcp will keep the p3at

·
Registered
19 Posts
steelerfan said:
yes it was a stipid question. i had a few glasses of a amber liguid made in holland and it must have addled my brain. clear thinking today. i own p32 p3at pf9 i am a keltec fan.  i cant see buying a lcp will keep the p3at

Keep the P3AT. I had the option of buying an LCP when I picked up my P3AT. Dealer had both in stock. After talking to a state trooper at the shop who had bought the LCP and had some serious reliability issues with it, I went Kel-Tec. Of course, the same officer said he wouldn't buy the Kel-Tec because of reliability concerns! For the record, my two Kel-Tecs (PF-9 and P3AT) have been flawless after break-in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
steelerfan said:
If I did, I'd have to kick my own "heinie".

steelerfan said:
yes it was a stipid question. i had a few glasses of a amber liguid made in holland and it must have addled my brain. clear thinking today. i own p32 p3at pf9 i am a keltec fan. i cant see buying a lcp will keep the p3at
Glad you came to your senses. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.