Torn rims in fired brass

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ringneck16, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ringneck16

ringneck16 New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I have a p-3at and it is ejecting fine but it is really tearing the rims of the cases up with the extractor. Anything I can do to fix this? This is a new slide as my other one peened on me. My other one didn't have this problem.

Thanks!

2. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    if you are not reloading why worry. a strong extractor should be a good thing

3. ringneck16

ringneck16 New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I do reload, but aside from that it is not good that it is almost tearing through the rim.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    if the extractor is "pulling through" the rim. the barrel chamber might be rough. Is this the original barrel or a new with the slide.

Is the mouth of the spent rim also "D" shaped?

I'm wondering if the barrel is tilting down and the spent rim is catching the next rounds mouth, thus stopping the spent round and the extractor tears rim

5. jocko

jocko Guest

Polish the chamber. dremel makes a small buffing cone that with some fine compound can produce a mirror finish like nothing you have ever seen. If you have a ruff chamber, rounds will stick. You just might have a bad barrel and if so, it needs to go back.

6. ringneck16

ringneck16 New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    It is the original barrel. I cleaned it up real good inside and then polished the chamber. I will shoot it tomorrow and see how it goes.

7. jocko

jocko Guest

\

Thats all one can ask of an owner..

8. ringneck16

ringneck16 New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Well, it's still doing it with several different types of ammo. I did polish the chamber and the gun has been fluffed and buffed. It functions fine but I would sure like to get it where it doesn't take a bite out the rim. It has already been back to the factory to have the slide replaced due to peening, so I am pretty close to giving up on it. Any other suggestions?

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I assume it does this with different brands of ammo?  If it bothers you or you want to reload, call KT service and ask them to send you a new extractor, screw and spring.  Aside from a rough chamber, which you have ruled out, I can't think of any other possibility.  

10. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Just a shot in the dark, but I think mine takes that gouge out when the barrel drops and the case has to slide down the extractor, might wanna look and see if there is a bur on the extractor that is catching the rim and tearing it up. you might be able to see if happen if you look in the little square hole above the extractor, and rack it by hand.