Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I noticed before I mounted my optic that the top rail has a ridge on it. I thought it might affect the optic sitting flat or being able to hold a decent zero when remounting my red dot with a quick release riser....

Today, it was confirmed. The ridge pushes the optic slightly left or right and the optic definitely isn't square.

I looked around and didn't see much at all regarding this issue, but I know I can't be the only person who has noticed this.

I'm assuming I could sand down the ridge on the top rail if I had to, but I don't really want to do that. (Although, having that ridge that ridge makes zero sense to me.)

Any input on another solution? Not sure why Kel Tec would do that....

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Yes you can. That is the standard answer. It is the result of the molds the forearm is injected into. It affects every other plastic forearm with a split rail on the market. Not just the Sub. Block sanding won't hurt it enough to worry about. Just use light sandpaper and only remove enough to make it flat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that makes sense about the molds. I suppose I'll be sanding it down this weekend. Doesn't seem like it needs much at all taken off at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have small red dot mounted to a riser that has a thumb screw to easily remove it and I noticed the same thing. I did sand the the rails flat with 100 grit up to 400 grit and you can barely tell. I haven't been able to take it to the range and check to see if it holds zero yet.
Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger Air gun Shooting

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sand top rail

I did the same to mine, a 5 minute job and just did the rails that my QD mount covers, so you can't see it and it keeps my optic in the same position. No issues holding zero @ 25 yds. I never noticed it til someone else started a thread on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to give it a go this weekend and hopefully be able to run over to the range and see what it does. I'm hoping to be able to sand it down with a fine enough grit to where it isn't completely obvious. If i can find time to do it this weekend Ill put up a image of it afterwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the plastic the same color all the way through it so it doesn't show the sanding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
RDS does not sit flush

I recently tried to add a red dot to my Sub2k and it sits canted to the left or right because the pic rail is not flat.

Has anyone else found a way around this without modifying the handguard?

·
Banned
325 Posts
I recently tried to add a red dot to my Sub2k and it sits canted to the left or right because the pic rail is not flat.

Take a flat file to the rail and flatten it out. The rails have been known to have a ridge formed on them when they were cast at the factory. There is a post on this elsewhere on the forum but I am unable to find it now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I didn't get time to go to work on the rail this weekend. Easter ket me busy between church, family and hanging out with the kids, but I am planning on doing this asap. It has been in the back of my mind since I originally asked the question. Once I get it, Ill put the pics up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the same problem... not wanting to mess with fixing a factory flaw I added a LaRue tactical 5/8" riser (VFZ system) and mounted the RDS on it. So far - so good.

I hope K-T works to bring their picatinny rail into spec someday... during the build
process, couldn't they at least sand down the top rail once it's installed on the barrel?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.