Took the plunge

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tkc, Oct 21, 2007.

1. tkc

tkc New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Yesterday I finally found the P-3AT the Grey H/C at a gun show that I had been looking for. Paid $319 OTD for it and an extra mag which considering prices around here is a steal. Most want $299 for the blue plus tax.

Got home and the extra mag would not lock in. I shaved some off the bottom plate and that didn't seem to do any good so I got out my trusty dremel and shaved about .01" off the top of the locking hole in the mag. It now locks perfectly. I stripped it and cleaned it, applied some CLP to the slide area and had to take off for my Mother's.

I didn't get a chance to run but one mag of Rem UMC's through it while down at my Mother's but there were no problems feeding with those six rounds. I am looking forward to fully testing it out. Just need a good pocket or wallet holster now but am alos considering the clip. Here in SC I have to keep it concealed.

2. jocko

jocko Guest

probably could have taken the same amount off the bottom of the grip and achieved the same thing.  Never heard of anyone cutting the magazine slot :-/ As long as it works, u are now good to "shoot it like u stole it".

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Two concerns here:

1 - you are making the magazine sit just a tad bit lower now.  That may affect getting the round up the feed ramp and into the barrel, an area that is already at its ultimate edges.

2 - before you decide to use only the clip please see the MANY threads concerning the safety of this method.  Some here consider it safe, others do not.  [​IMG]

And above all  - welcome, congratulations, and as Jocko said, shoot it like you stole it!!!!! It's one heck of a weapon.  

-Scott

PS - [​IMG]

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Congrats on your new P3AT! Really like my blued one and down the road will be getting a second in HC.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, I don't know about altering the mag cut out. If that mag "wears in" where ever the polymer was hanging up, it may not stay locked in place properly. :-/

6. tkc

tkc New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Notice that I had one mag that worked perfectly. I tried removing material from the plastic base and that did no good. I then measured the distance from the top of the mag to the slot on both mags and found a difference of .01" so I modified the slots to be the same. I even tried swapping plates and that didn't work.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If you only altered that little, probably no big deal.

8. EW3

EW3 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I would recommend this pocket holster; I just got mine the other day for the P-3AT. It doesn't look like much, but it works great after doing the wax paper break-in. It covers the gun perfectly so that it looks like a wallet, in fact it is the exact dimensions of my wallet. Since it's formed from one piece of leather flapped over, it is thinner and less bulky that some pocket holsters that use an additional flap of leather as an anti-print panel. Once I got it broken in, it stays in the pocket no problem.

http://armory.jsholsters.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2058

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. unit1069

unit1069 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Pick your personal way of carrying, the way you feel most comfortable with.

For me, if it's warm weather the P-3AT goes into my pocket.

If it's cool weather it goes into a pocket.

If it's winter it goes into a pocket. Heck, I've even carried it completely concealed in the front pocket of a lightweight cotton shirt with a flap. Year-round it goes into a pocket with no holster, no nothing.

This in my opinion is what makes the KT P-3AT the best concealed carry gun currently available. It goes anyplace, anytime, anywhere with a sufficient caliber that gives the owner a very reasonable chance to survive a life-or-death attack that may happen anywhere, anytime.

10. tkc

tkc New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Last night I had to go to the drug store for my wife so I decided to just put it in my pants pocket to see how that would work. I was wearing dress pants and it was such a perfect fit until it turned with the top of the gun resting against the bottom of my pocket and wouldn't come out. :( Pocket carry with those pants will require a holster. :-/

11. I refuse to carry without some type of holster for several reasons:

1)    As already pointed out, the little gun can shift around and not be where you think it is, causing one to grab the gun in an awkward manner to pull from the pocket.

2)   Carrying a gun with an exposed trigger, especially a gun with no safety except a long heavy trigger pull, is risking an accidental discharge.

3)  Combine the two above and come up with reason 3.

Another minor concern is the possibility of trash getting introduced in to the muzzle.  Also, I don't want all the lube in the gun leaching into my clothes.

There are a lot of good options.  Below are a few:

[​IMG]