took new keltec and ruger to the range today.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bodean, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Bodean

Bodean New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    bought them both at the same time, i was really surprised at these i have never shot one before, put a box of american eagle FMJ thru both guns. both worked flawless. had one jam in the ruger i must say that the keltec hit more targets. i think i'll be carrying the keltec on a daily basis

2. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Sweet, glad to hear. I am glad I got the p3at...just on the $ savings alone! :)

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I own the P3AT and the Little Counterfeit Pistol too. My KT is more accurate as well and has a better trigger pull than the Ruger. Of the two areas that the Ruger is better in is the feel in my hand. To make the P3AT feel better in my hand I sanded the grip smooth on the left where my right thumb rests. That made the 3AT feel better. Mind you, I only smoothed the grip under my thumb not the entire grip so it didn't make the P3AT slip around in my hand. I also had to sand the trigger on my P3AT because the edges are so sharp. I ended up putting shrink tubing on the trigger to smooth out the feel of the trigger like I did with my PF-9.

My first time to the range with my P3AT, I put a little over 200 flawless rounds with it. I still get an occasional hiccup with the ruger and it has close to 1000 rounds through it. I know I've put over 600 rounds through it but stopped counting after that. Every so often it fails to go completely into battery and I have to push on the back of the slide so it will close all the way.

All-in-all, I think the P3AT is the better gun even if the ruger looks a little better in fit and finish. I for one do not by carry guns for their aesthetic beauty. I don't care how ugly they are. My CC guns are all about reliability and ease of concealment. If I wanted a purdy gun only, I'd be unarmed most of the time. Most purdy guns aren't very concealable---though there are a few exceptions to the rule.

4. timothius

timothius New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks Bill,

I have been looking for an objective point of view on these to guns. I amstill thinking of getting a LCP, but it is still only a thought. I have been a ruger fan for a long time. Please don't be mistaken, I love my P3AT, but I love a good Ruger too! :)

Tim

5. Bodean

Bodean New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    i got to say i am completly satisfied with them both. :)

6. P380

P380 New Member

May 24, 2006
    Buying Two guns at once, sounds like a good day to me. :)

7. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Nice to hear that the KT held it's own. I am starting to carry the P3at more and more and have never had a failure of any kind with it. I have probably talked 10 or more people in to buying them when at the range. Last time I was at the range 3 people that were there asked to shoot it. One lady asked me if I would trade her even for her PT111. :eek:

8. [​IMG]

Me to Bodean.....but it is the Kel_Tec that gets carried.

9. phousley

phousley New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I work at Gander Mountain in the firearms dept. I have sold a huge amount of both guns. I have only had one guy complain about the P3AT, but have had probably 20 hate their LCP's and even sold them back to us at a loss to buy the Kel-Tec. Obviously the LCP is nicer looking, but I have heard on many occasions that the P3AT is more reliable and more accurate than the LCP. I have the P3AT and it has always worked great for me.

10. RDALMASO1

RDALMASO1 New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Good decision.....you will not be sorry, it is a great ccw