Took my P-3AT apart to clean...easier than the P-1

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgray64, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    It went great! I shot another 50 rounds through it today so I thought I'd break it down and clean it up. The pin came right out with an empty shell, the slide came off easily with me holding it upright looking for the ejector or extractor (can't remember which). Lifted it out went ahead with the cleaning and lube and put it back together without a hitch. Great little gun!

Have any of you painted a dot on the front site? I wonder what kind of paint would show up best and last as well. I'd work it like Heine sights with a dot at the rear and one at the front for quicker sighting. I'm going to enjoy this little thing. Thanks for the info.

Dave ;D

2. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Re: Took my P-3AT apart to clean...easier than the

HEY DAVE:

Regarding the Hi Visibility paint, I got some advise that just might save you some time, frustration, and money. I had the same question and thus went routing through my sweeties *ka boodle* for her fingernail polishes. Hey, I figured the paints are already paid for, the brush is small enough to do the trick, and there is no clean up just recap the top!

What's also cool is if, the first color isn't high viz enough then, I could always use that God awful polish remover and try again. Miss smarty-pants chimed in that I could color coordinate with my tie or even my underwear. :-[ So now I need to decide between the whitish "Half-Full Moon," a pumpkin like orange, or the greenish "Eerie Corpse." I already ruled out the "Black Cat Shadows." Did I mention she's a goth girl? No, really she isn't. :p

OK! Fine! Don't follow my suggestion about the color coordination. However, I think the cheap, readily available, water proof, and long enduring nail polishes might do the trick. Seriously, try some costume (day glow) nail polish. But please, dear God Dave, stay away from the glitter stuff. Well, that is unless you already have the Patton pearl handle grips. To which I must ask, "where did ya get 'em and fer how much?"

To macho to walk into a girly store and throw down $20 on fingernail polishes are ya? Try the metalic touch up paint pens at your local auto parts store. One quick touch of the tip should do the trick. But I'm sure KTOG members would prefer to hear about your experience regarding the throwing down a $20, looking the first job teen in the eye, and tellin' her it's to improve the sights on your gun. Then walk across the hall to Victoria Secrets. I assure you security will be delighted to help you find your car.

I've also learned that the left over paint is useful for marking tools before loaning. Additionally, my diving and camping gear is less likely to meander off on it's own.

BTW- for those of us with a Y chromosome, a *ka boodle* is a makeup kit. They may range in size from a small clutch to bigger than a stackable machine shop roll around.

For the Moderators:

Please let me know if this is NOT the first KTOG post that might require a collection for bail money. ::)

-Michael

3. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008

I use Testor's white as base or the final color. I have tried red and orange over the years. Orange is OK, red is a littel dark for me. Testors has a new green oout which is very bright that will be next.
    Heat the front sight with a hair dryer after degreasing. When it's hot to touch
    your ready (125F about). Use a small amount on a toothpick just touch the sight it will "jump" to it. Harden it with more hair dyer, this will cure it. Any excess can be removed by toothpick, paper towel and nail polish remover (lighter fluid, alcohol).
    some of my carry guns have this treatment for over 20 years.
    My P3 has a laser but I did the sight anyway just in case the laser goes south.
    Norton

4. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Feb 27, 2008

Thanks for the input! Now I have to find a hair dryer...my wife doesn't use one. I hadn't thought about heating the slide, that's good advice. I don't know what happened to my subject line. It should have said P-11 not P-1. Oh well.

I think a couple of dots are really going to help me. I'm so used to getting the front site up and on target, I have to hunt for the front site on this one. Still love it!

Have a great day!

Dave :D

5. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

This might work for you if you looking for a 2-dot or 3-dot system:
    http://www.nitesiters.com/

He is also a forum member.

6. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008

I've cleaned mine now a couple times since getting it 3 weeks ago. It comes apart fairly easy and cleans up real nice.

7. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Feb 27, 2008

[/quote]
    Thanks. That is what I had in mind, so I tried one of the above ideas with some cream (almost white) nail polish with a dot at the front and one at the back like the night sites or Heinie sites. I found that the gun is too short for them. That means that when you bring it up to sight on the target, you are seeing too much rear sight and not the front, so.....I took off the rear dot and left the front and it works 100% better. I can acquire a target quicker and hit closer to where I aim. Thanks for all the help!!

Dave ;D

8. AirMech74

AirMech74 New Member

Feb 21, 2008

Have any of you had the ejector block fall out while you had it disassembled?

Also, those nightsiters look interesting....has anybody posted any pics with them applied?

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

The ejector is a strange creature. for some reason it does not get alone with the rest of the gun and tries to run back to its home in FLA every chance it gets. Having to call KT and have them send it back is not uncommon ;D

10. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

The ejector is a strange creature. for some reason it does not get alone with the rest of the gun and tries to run back to its home in FLA every chance it gets. Having to call KT and have them send it back is not uncommon ;D[/quote]

I hate to admit it, but I have ordered a couple of extra to replace ones that have run home ;D

11. AirMech74

AirMech74 New Member

Feb 21, 2008

lol...well, I bought mine from a coworker and I dissasembled it when I got it home and am pretty certain that everything went back in...but when I gave it to a friend to get it worked on, he noticed that the ejector was missing....he's done a few KT's before and knew about this...he told me it was missing and he called Kt and they are shipping one out this week, at least I hope its this week..lol

12. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007

[/quote]

Nitesiters...

NOTICE: Cheaply painted sights, like those on the Kel Tec P11 and PF9 may be harmed by cleaning them with alcohol and exposure to adhesive

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?? WILL THEY WORK ON KT...or not

13. Nitesiter

Nitesiter New Member

Oct 8, 2007

Nitesiters work great on KT's. Theres a post on the board somewhere that has a TON of info on them as well as a few links to pictures I believe. Do a search on the board and they should come up.

As far as that disclaimer.. I received feedback from two people that said that their sight dot popped off after applying Nitesiters to their gun. I just wanted to make sure people know about that possibility and are forewarned. I did also change the wording a bit so as to not knock KT's. They're a great gun and Nitesiters work very well for a lot of people that own KT's.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Dave Presley
    Nitesiters

14. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007

you are a gentleman and a scholar diplomat ;)

15. sharpetop

sharpetop New Member

Dec 1, 2004

Yep, my ejector has been replaced. I use a dab of grease to hold it in place.

I tried the Nitesiters on my S&W 642. I used the supplied blade to cut them in half and then placed them where they needed to be. What a PITA with my old eyes and very small dots. They do work as advertised with a couple of seconds of direct light from a flashlight.

Sharpetop__Who is now half blind and cross-eyed from working with Nitesiters.

16. Nitesiter

Nitesiter New Member

Oct 8, 2007

GOOD thing they light up real nice huh!!! :p

-Dave
    NS