Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a drive I was pondering the minor filing of the mating surface of the extractor on my PF-9. I haven't gotten back to the range yet to work on my failure to extract issue, but what if the surface in question is slightly undersized, or "over filed", by a couple of thousandths? Whats the theoretical downside to the extractor 'over gripping' the extractor groove? Would it screw with the ejection in some way?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Toney_D got it in one. If the extractor has too much tension, or sits too deep, it can begin to cause feeding problems, since the case head may then have some trouble slipping under the extractor claw during the feed process. Getting the extractor tension and claw engagement right can be a bit of trial and error. This is why, if trying to get a bit more "extractor bite" due to failures to extract, it is best to file a little bit, test, then if needed file a little bit more, re-test, etc. Just filing down until you get what appears to be a firm extractor grip on the rim may be going too far, and then cause unintended issues.

Jim R

1 - 3 of 3 Posts