Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remora has not paid, offered compensationary gifts, nor instructed me to write this, I do this of my own accord, because I love writing.

So my wife ordered up some Remora's for the two of us.

I had heard nothing but good things, but of course, like any grown man with a notion of basic physics was skeptical that something held simply by minimal friction would "float" in place with 24oz of heavy (or light) duty weaponry.

I'll start with unboxing. My Holster was designated 4art-ss and something else. At first that seems about as complicated as anything Steven Hawking ever spoke that started with "In Quantum Mechanics..." However the legend will lead you to the light, that means it was a SIZE 4 , ARTEMIS (low profile), and the missing designation means REINFORCED. The holsters were shipped in a plain paper envelope which was covered in packing tape, and at first I thought I had ordered something from a very different website.

Inside were individually sealed Remoras in little ziplocs! One in 4, and one in 2A, again, plainly labeled.

The first thing I did was violently tear open the package, take off my GIANT BLACKHAWK! holster (may it burn in hell, forever and ever) and try my weapon inside the wonderful sharksucker (Remora, wikipedia it.) It fit perfect! Just the RIGHT amount of pressure, it retains, solidly, but doesn't lock it in like a child's head in a pitbulls mouth. My weapon and the holster are like Tom Cruise and Kate Holmes, made for each other, one being too insane to safely avoid and the other being too scared to pull away.

My wife was in the corner of the room, with her delicately laid out Remora, reinforced, artemis, sweat shield, thigh holster, retention strap; not so amazed, though we followed the size chart, the Remora just didn't fit her weapon as perfectly as mine did. A quick call to the Remora office, and a 10 minute conversation and everything was taken care of. I'll not sully the good name of this review with extra credit points from how crazy nice Alan from Remora is. We had a great conversation in addition to handling the business, he seemed genuinely happy to hear my input. Can you name another business which would do the same, aside from the greeter at Wal-Mart? Me either.

Wear; where shall I begin? You won't believe me until you order one, but I'll be the first to tell you as I told Alan, I thought it was total Bulls#!t. Complete Bulls#!t. There's is NO WAY a holster without a clip just STAYS there. I don't care what you have to say Faliaphotography, we get it, you're pretty and you shoot guns, show me the PROOF!!! (Dear falia, if you read this, please don't stop, your videos are an inspiration to my wife.)

It works.

Don't ask me how, but it ****ing does. It stays there, and it doesn't move through any jumping or running or any nonsense. It stays there! It holds my pants up! I swear, it's the strangest thing I've ever seen. I understand the theories and principles of friction (giggity) but the material these holsters are made of REDEFINES it. It's so sticky, it's like a 5 year old who just ate 20 fudge sickles and is now biting you, but not hard, and without the chocolate mess.

Do not misunderstand, it's not glue sticky, nor silicone sticky, it's not exactly abrasive either, It just sticks. Period.

Comfort, oh yeah. I wear mine towards the center of my back, IWB, more towards the right kidney, and it's so soft, it feels like sitting on a pile of newborn kittens, only when you get up you're not a criminal, nor have you killed any kittens. A word of warning. My body shape promotes great retention of the Kel-Tec P11, and as such I have learned just how abrasive the triangulated grip checkering on the Kel-Tec is. I feel like any drunken college co-ed on any beach in the South at 3am, my back is slightly raw. An undershirt fixes this, or just manning up is sufficient. NOT A FAULT IN THE HOLSTER. It only happens when I'm sitting for long periods of time, and my back rubs on that checkering, oh you will become very knowledgeable of just how grippy that polymer is.

Durability. When I first got my Remora, I dunked it into sulfuric acid, dragged it through mud I sourced from Chernobyl, covered it in rabbit innards and threw it in an eagle's nest, then ran over it in an M1 Abrams, and shot it 50,000 times with an M249 (controlled bursts only, let's not waste government resources.) And it looked brand new.

Obviously none of that happened, but I did do maybe about 100 draws (unloaded weapon in condition 4 of course) and I will say that as long as it's reinforced it holds it shape well, MUCH better than my nylon BLACKHAWK (may it never find the peace it was searching for in this lifetime) and doesn't get dirty easy. What can I say, the title line says I wore it for a day!

I will say that the warranty is substantial, and if you're military PLEASE let them know, these guys are more than willing to support their troops, and by doing more than buying a yellow sticker (no offense.)

Practicality: Put it where you want, cant it, don't cant it, lower, higher on back, waist, thigh, in the pocket, front of the pants, thigh, ankle, in the purse (hey man, it's a free country) it will go where you want without complaint and perform flawlessly.

Summary on 1-10

Unboxing - 10 (I don't care man, he could have shipped it to me in fishskin and I would have been happy)

Wear - 9 (I haven't tried a crossbreed yet, and I don't think I will)

Comfort - 10 (Low profile, padded nicely.)

Durability - 10 (No tears yet)

Practicality - 10 (This is where the remora shines, the versatility! It literally replaced 3 holsters in the house)

Closing statement? My only regret is not buying a Remora before I wasted my money on other holsters.

Dear Remora, (see picture...)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Agreed! The ONLY holster my P11 ever finds its way into anymore is a Remora. Currently have a Reinforced Top model, but I'm gonna need to order me a Sweat Shield model soon now that it's getting up into the low 90's already here and my originally blued P11 doesn't take well to being exposed to my acidic alien sweat. :eek:

The standard Remora for my SW9VE gets daily use. I poke "Siggy" in there first thing in the morning, jam him in my waistband. Once I'm in my Blazer to head to work, I take it out of my waistband and wedge it snugly between the center console and passenger seat - quite secure but VERY readily accessible, simplest best vehicle carry method I've found yet. When I get to work, into the Nanosafe goes Siggy; after work, if I need to go inside QT for a lottery ticket or whatever on the way home, I just jam it in my waistband again, untuck my shirt, and stroll right in without any worries - hides just fine, plenty comfy, convenient as all get out.

Admittedly, though, I did just buy a Blackhawk IWB holster for my P89 tonight, not really for carry but just to have something to put it into at night (it's become my preferred nightstand pistol). But eventually, I fully intend to pick up a Remora of some flavor for it, too - either a Sweat Shield or Full Shield model, being that my P89 is also blued. And the only reason my NAA Earl doesn't have one, too, is because I currently only see the NAA Black Widow listed on their fitment chart ... although I've been assured that they can make a Remora for just about any pistol made (within reason), as long as you give 'em the measurements. Soooo, ultimately I plan to buy at least one Remora for each of my current (and future) carry pistols. What can I say? When I find something I like that works, I'm committed. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife bought a sticky holster for her Sigma and loves it. As far as I can tell, very very very similar products if you know what I mean. I enjoyed reading your review!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Sticky Holsters are a knockoff of the Remora made by a former Remora employee ... who was also recently arrested for molesting his own daughter. I wouldn't give that scumbag a penny even if his holsters were superior (which they aren't, from what I've seen).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love Remora too.

One thing around here is that Wal-Mart doesn't have greeters anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts