Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been a LONG time since I was around and I once again need some help.

years ago I got a first gen. Shot it alot, carried it a LOT. Eventually it broke down (twice) and made some trips home. After the second time back it was running pretty good but I still get the occassional light strike and just once in a blue moon a FTE or FTF. I also get medium to severe smilies. So I lost a lot of confidence in this partcular gun. Kel-Tec went pretty far to fix it the last time by putting in much heavier springs and they did a serious Ramp job but I'm still leary do to the odd issue.

So here's the thought,...I'm thinking of buying a brand new 2nd generation w/hard chrome slide. I haven't found any other gun the fills the need I have for a true pocket pistol but need to feel better about the gun.

The question is should I trade my 1st gen in on the new purchase or just keep it? It runs well enough that I don't feel bad about trading it but I'm not sure how much I can expect to get? If it's too little why bother, but if it's enough it would help.

I thought about keeping it for range practice but I don't practice too much with this gun once it's broken in.

I've never kept two of the same gun and it seems like a waste but what would you guys do? And if you'd trade, how much would you hope to get for a used 1gen with the case, box, lock, etc, all in decent shape?

As always, your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: To trade or keep 1st gen? Opinion Very much Ne

I think it would be a good idea to keep it. I can't imagine that you would get what it is worth in a trade in. Also, your 2nd gen could someday need to take a trip home and you would be like me right now, defenseless. My 2nd gen is in Cocoa and I am waiting for its return. Having a backup is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I am thinking about trading my gen. 1 in on a PF9 (once I am fairly certian all bugs are worked out). I have a gen 2 that shoots great. One dealer I spoke to said the gen. 1 would be worth about $150. in trade on a $250. est. price PF9. I would owe $100.+ tax for the new gun.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

Keep the 1Gs. They don't make them any more.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

Keep the FG P3AT. It will always be useful as a backup if the other one goes down or gets lost or stolen.

Also keep in mind that if you ever have to USE it in self defense, the police will confiscate your weapon. Without a backup you will then be defensless.

Another note: One of these days, when KT runs out of FG parts, an originally purchased FG returned for service will be returned as a brand new SG with your old serial number on it--It is already starting to happen.

Packer.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

Saw today where KTWM said there were no more 1G slides in stock. You go back with a slide problem you are going to get a 2G replacement.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

quickmick7 said:
KEEP IT YOU CAN'T GO WRONG..............it's like getting rid of that 1970 hemi cuda cause it was taking up room
Just HAD to remind me of that.  I my case it was a 67 Ford Custom 500 with a 428 Police Interceptor (ex Missouri Highway Patrol Car).  

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Keep it! There are times when you just can't carry a bigger gun than a P3AT but often at such times it is possible to carry a second gun of the same size. You can then use the 1st generation gun to back up the 2nd generation gun.

When things go bad they tend to go really, really bad. You may be shot, stabbed, or otherwise injured early in the fight and you may have lost your primary gun or had it malfunction. At such times a second gun available to either hand could be a real life saver. When you look at the small trade in you are likely to get I'm sure you would prefer the extra security of the second gun option.

·
Registered
357 Posts

KEEP IT YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

69 Chevelle SS 396  :'( - I still feel bad when I see one drive by - even though I sold it way back in 1980 when I bought a 1981 Turbo Trans Am - I sold the T/A back in 2004 - still see it fly by once in a while - it really adds insult to injury when YOUR OWN car  blasts  past you in traffic and cuts you off - one boat and the motorcycle went last year - garage  was full of stuff  that I never used - at least now the cars we drive can park inside the garage.

At least a P-3AT doesn't take up much space.  

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

Z1, you just had to go and remind me on the other major screwup in my life. 67 Impala Caprice Classic, Formal roof black on black with black & a 396.

Makes me want to cry.

Jim, who had his head WAY up his b... in the late 70's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well guys, I did it :-[

I'd only hear 2 opinions before I left the house this morning so I took the first one with me and thought I'd see what I was offered.

You all make good points and made me think about whether I'd be happy trading it but I did it at lunch time and it's probably the best.

First, I have a number of guns so if the 2nd gen is out I have other options; most likely the J frame I've carried alot.

Secondly, If I ever really WANT 2 ea, I'm blessed enough to be able to go out and get another one and I got $196.00 for my 1st gen which I think was pretty good.

I think the main reason I decided to do it was because I'd lost confidence in this particular gun. I know I could have eventually gotten a 2nd Gen back after returning it again but I got a 2nd gen chromed at a good price and It didn't cost me hardly much at all to do it so I'm happy. I do like this little gun and feel its the only true pocket pistol in it's class but I wouldn't really want two. I did think about keeping the 1st generation for the range/practice and then carrying the 2nd but I know I'll only be firing a few mags ever 3-4 weeks through this so I'll just do it with the 2nd gen.

But I do appreciate all the feedback!!! Now I'm going to hold me breath until I get this new 2nd gen to the range (out in the woods for me ;D). I'm hoping I don't have the problems I had with my old one because it just about ruined me for the P3AT altogether but since theres really nothing else out there like it, I had to go for a second try so here's to hoping it works out!

God Bless!
Gideon

·
Registered
123 Posts

Im in the same boat you are in, I am blessed to have obtained a small arsenal. I will be trading my P3AT 1st generatin in on a PF9 hopefully soon best of luck to you Gidion. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.