Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing this over the weekend and I know that many of you have eliminated your FTE's by doing this. How many of you have used the stock screw versus getting a longer one and grinding it down? Anyone had an issue with the FP slipping out when using the stock screw?

·
Registered
501 Posts
As one who has done two and three springs, I strongly suggest that you take your slde off, take your FP assy. and barrel out, insert the Extractor screw with two springs and tighten it down. Hold the slide up to a light and look and look into the FP hole. Determine if the screw sticks through far enough or not. This is because KT's tolerences very quite a bit and you don't want to take it for granted that your stock screw is long enough just because someone here says it is:)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
IIRC from the other Double Extractor threads, Many (if not most) are doing okay using the factory screw if they're just Doubling Up the extractor springs. There were a few early on that went as far as Tripling Up the extractor that found the factory screw was not long enough and needed to get a longer screw (and having to grind it down because it was obviously too long).

As FF2 wrote... You should be able to tell as soon as you double up the springs whether the screw is long enough to hold the firing pin in or not. [Shrug]
If in doubt, take the factory screw to Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware, find the next longer screw with a matching thread and see how it goes. :)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Same here. I doubled the springs and used the factory extractor screw. Have run through 500 rounds now and absolutely no problem with the firing pin. But the advice to test your screw by inserting it through two springs and then check the empty firing pin channel to see if your screw is long enough to firmly retain the firing pin is a good idea.

Jim R

·
Registered
366 Posts
i am now septupling my magazine catch spring and quintupling my extractor spring and octupling my firing pin spring. works great! :) jk :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Okay so I hit the range today with my pf9 and my XD45. Got one round off with the pf9 and the firing pin flew out and landed on the floor. :D :( Guess I should have used a longer screw, maybe I just didn't have the firing pin oriented the right way when I did the mod. I couldn't find the firing pin spring anywhere. Funny thing is, I took one extractor spring off and put the screw back in and looking thru the pin hole I still don't see the extractor screw protruding into the firing pin channel. :confused: Anyways, I'm going to order a new firing pin kit and probably another extractor kit just to have around and I'll get it right for next time. Good news is the one round I got off extracted fine and went pretty much dead center at 25ft. My XD45 ran flawless as always for 150 rounds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update. After reading a little here about the firing pin I realized Keltec sent me the wrong screw. I ordered another extractor, extractor spring, and extractor screw and they sent me a front sight screw as it has the lettering on top. Lame. This is why my firing pin flew out. Ohh well, I guess I should have noticed it was shorter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced the extractor and added a second spring (using the standard length screw Kel-Tec sent with the spring/extractor). Following the advice of FreeFire2, I removed the slide and barrel, installed the second spring and looked through the firing pin channel for proper screw protrusion. I then loosened the screw and inserted the firing pin, tightened the screw and reassembled. Went to range today (only fired 50 rounds), trying to limp wrist (I even shot single/weak hand) attempting to induce FTE and it ran perfectly. So far so good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So yours worked fine with the stock extractor screw and two springs? Good to know. I got more parts coming, they just sent me the wrong screw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i just did the same thing, double spring original screw. ill be giving it a test next week. i need to wait until pay day to buy a box of ammo.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Update. After reading a little here about the firing pin I realized Keltec sent me the wrong screw. I ordered another extractor, extractor spring, and extractor screw and they sent me a front sight screw as it has the lettering on top. Lame. This is why my firing pin flew out. Ohh well, I guess I should have noticed it was shorter.
I think you mean rear sight screw , the front has no screw

·
Registered
60 Posts
My PF had a too-short screw even with one spring. The screw had backed out 1/4 turn and the firing pin ended up laying on the bench. I'm still using one spring but increased the length of the screw by .010.

As you can see the end of the screw is pretty beat up even though I did all my dry firing using Snap Caps. It appeared that only about one thread length is all that was holding the pin. I suspect that the 6-32 button head screw that Kel-Tec uses is just a garden variety screw and may have quite a bit of deviation when it comes to length.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would like to do this. Just need to find the "How to" and the product order list for items needed as well. Had a couple of FTE's (although it was garbage reman ammo).

MJ

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I would like to do this. Just need to find the "How to" and the product order list for items needed as well. Had a couple of FTE's (although it was garbage reman ammo).

MJ

Although it is likely not necessary for your PF-9 if you have had no extraction problems with quality ammo so far, it is easy to do. Just call Kel Tec and ask for an extractor and spring replacement. When you get them, use the new spring on top of the old spring. Use the new extractor screw that comes from Kel Tec also, if it is long enough. To check this, after removing old extractor screw and spring, remove the firing pin and firing pin spring (the extractor screw holds it in place in the channel). Then insert the new extractor screw through two extractor springs and lightly tighten it in place on the slide. Look down the firing pin channel to see if the screw protrudes into the channel sufficiently to secure the firing pin in place. If so, back the screw out a bit, replace the firing pin spring and firing pin. Be sure the slot in the firing pin lines up with where the extractor screw protrudes into the channel. Put a tiny bit of blue loctite on the screw thread near the screw head and tighten the screw. Dont try to overtighten the screw. Just snug it down. Check to be sure the firing pin moves freely, but does not back out of the channel. You are done and ready for the range.

Jim R

1 - 20 of 65 Posts