Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Re: To Fluff and Buff or NOT!  That is the questi

Did I sit down and perform a ritiual "Fluff and Buff" as per the gospils?....NO

But I performed cleaning & inspections, which includes looking and feeling for surfaces that need attention and then provide the needed action.

I guess If I had the responsility to make sure more than a couple were in proper order I would use a standerdized procedure.

Did I have any falures?...YES. but who is to say they were corrected by the application of a small file or just getting use to getting a proper grip :-/

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: To Fluff and Buff or NOT!  That is the qu

You didn't include my procedure. I did about % 25-30 on two, a 1 gen and a 2 gen. Other than cleaning, I did the feed ramp, chamber, hammer slide, burrs on slide rails, trigger and Lug area. That's it.

Both work fine with no known problems.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

Before shooting the first time I polished the feed ramp, hood, and chamber, and cleaned and lubed it. Not a complete F&B by any means!

During the first range visit I cleaned it every 25 rounds out of 100 rounds total. The second and third range visits I cleaned after about every 50 rounds.

I dry fired it with snap caps many 100's of times during this period and still do. This seemed to do a lot toward smoothing the trigger and feeding.

I have never had any feed, ejection, or extraction problems.

I found that I was getting mild smileys, so I did a mild rampectomy.

At about 500 rounds I found I could shoot it without problems for over 200 rounds without cleaning.

The only other part I replaced was a worn magazine catch. I replaced it with one of Beach's nickel/chromium catches and it has been great.

At about 1400 rounds I bought some Sellier and Bellot cartridges some of which didn't fire on the first strike. These rounds are known to have hard primers so I wasn't surprised, but many P-3ATs don't have a problem with them. I cleaned the firing pin and the firing pin spring and channel. That solved the problem.

I finally replaced the recoil springs at about 1700 rounds. It was still running OK, but I figured I was pushing it.

It now has over 1800 rounds -- it's like the Eveready rabbit. ;D

·
Registered
77 Posts

My P3AT ran well out of the box. Two failures in the first fifty rounds. Nothing since. After one hundred rounds I polished the feed ramp and hammer slide, sanded the trigger and guard, and knocked down a few burrs. I don't know if that helped it or not but I don't think it needed anything else. I do know that sanding the trigger and guard helped the comfort when shooting. I think I mostly did what I did after reading what everyone else was doing to theirs and I learned from it.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

2 peple are confused. Kel-tec does NOT do a F&B on pistols sent back for repair. They just fix what needs fixing. They may polish a feed ramp, but that's about it.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Re: Fluff & Buff

Originally had the "usual" problems. Sent the entire gun (380) to Jack for Plate Job, and paid a little extra for Jack to do a full F&B.

Regardless of ammo, no problems since Jack Job! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I would fall into the "well sorta" class; feed ramp, hammer interface, hammer, and guide rod. Three FTF's in about 400 rounds, and I believe these were my fauly with improper grip causing some limp wristing. I clean and lube every 50 rounds, and it goes back in my pocket.

·
Registered
58 Posts

My Gen 2 P3AT was pretty clean out of the box. I simply made sure nothing was binding, checked the feed ramp to see if polishing was warranted, put a few patches through the bore, then thoroughly lubed it.
Oh yeah, I did use a knife to remove some excess flashing from the trigger guard.
Haven't had a failure of any kind with it. Jack

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

TxCajun said:
2 peple are confused.  Kel-tec does NOT do a F&B on pistols sent back for repair.  They just fix what needs fixing.  They may polish a feed ramp, but that's about it.
I can see why Kel-Tec would only focus on the "problem" sent to them.

I have read in other posts that more than a few people send theirs home after feed/eject/fire failures for Kel-Tec to do the work.  That is one reason I added that option.  I also wanted to gauge the attitude of some of the board members, hence the wording of that option.

EDIT: Note that at this point, over 50% did at least a 50% F&B.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

I did a full tilt fluff & buff on my new P3AT before ever firing a round. I probably spent about 12 hours in the basement over two days. The next time will go faster, of course. The thing I spent the most time on was getting the hammer back in. I though I had to take it out to remove the frame - which I did so I could polish the trigger bar. I won't do that again.

I can't say whether or not the F&B helped. It may have been 100% NIB, but I'm a tinkerer at heart and it was a great way to get acquainted with my new little buddy.

BTW, I haven't seem much about F&B on for the PF9, which I'm considering as my next purchase. Is it required, or are they pretty much good to go out of the box?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Checker4Tix said:
... I'm a tinkerer at heart and it was a great way to get acquainted with my new little buddy...
;D  I could not agree more!   ;D  

·
Registered
117 Posts

I only consider myself as having done 80% of the F & B on the P3. I don't own a Dremel yet and could not do the beautiful feed ramp mirror polish. Do I count the F & B on both slides? Does that affect my percentage?

I did at least as much on the P-11 too, as well.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

As always, I'm a contrarian.

2 P-11s, 2 P3-ATs, one PF-9. Process has been identical for ALL of them. Bring it home, field strip. Regular cleaning, regular lube. No sanding, polishing, dremeling or anything. Basically just a quick wipe down and some oil.

Then each one went to the range with 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of JHP. Shoot 250 rounds, no cleaning. No breakdowns, no nothing. And YES I wore gloves each time. :)

End result is 2 P-11s, 2 P3-ATs and a one PF-9 that I trust my life to 100 percent with Corbon DPX.

No fluff and buff needed!

:cool:

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

baboo said:
I only consider myself as having done 80% of the F & B on the P3.  I don't own a Dremel yet and could not do the beautiful feed ramp mirror polish.  Do I count the F & B on both slides? Does that affect my percentage?

I did at least as much on the P-11 too, as well.
Just for a reference point, about 95% of my feedramp polish was done with 400 and then 600 grit wet sand paper by hand. The dremmel was only used for that last little bit of luster but frankly I couldn't see the difference before and after the dremmel.

-Scott

·
Registered
6,112 Posts

First P11 = full , P32 and P3AT and second P11 = 3/4 and .40 and .357 kits none, both were used and ran w/ no failures. All seem to run 100% now w/ exeption of a couple of ammo problems not gun related.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Thanks, Scott...
But I was looking for an excuse to buy a Dremel, thank you very much!

No, seriously I was just wondering if a little extra polish on the feed ramp might cure the problem of hangup upon chambering first round in the P3. The ramp is smooth, but it looked to me that the nose of the DPX was stopping on the ramp.

I know you are going to ask me if it does the same with FMJ so I will anticipate you and try it now. (Isn't that cool, you can wear this thing everywhere!)

Hmmm. Same problem. Maybe it is not the feed ramp. Notice that all previously chambered rounds are scuffed on one side of the brass, but can't tell which side.

What could be hanging it up? :-?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The day I picked up my P3-AT I went down stairs to the gun store range to try it out. Had several FTF while shooting about 60 rounds. 50 fmj and 10 jhp. Took it home and polished the chamber, feed ramp and the rails along with a good cleaning. No problems with the next firing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.