titanium slide?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tommy51s, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    The P3 is already the lightest .380 available, but it could be a featherweight if the slide was made of titanium. Does anyone know if Kel-Tec ever ever considered that? The added cost would be worth it to me, because pocket carry would be even more comfortable. The only problem would be getting used to the recoil on such a light gun.

2. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    If the P3AT slide were made lighter than it is now (whether titanium or something else) you would have to increase the strength of the recoil springs to compensate. Might also have to change such things as mag springs, etc also in order to maintain the timing relationships between slide function speed, mags ability to feed a round into chamber, etc. But the main problem would be that the recoil spring would have to be so stiff/strong that it might be very difficult or even impossible for the average person to pull the slide back/chamber a round in the first place. There are practical limits on weight reductions in guns of a given caliber, and Kel Tec has approached or reached them in a number of guns, including the P3AT and PF9.

Jim R.

3. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Taurus is coming out with a new .380 that offers a titanium slide as an option.

Taurus PT 338
    [​IMG]

4. mgregg85

mgregg85 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I don't think I want my P3AT to be any lighter, I mean how much of a difference are we really talking about here? Mine only weighs about 12 ounces, fully loaded and with the crimson trace laser.

5. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I don't care about the weight reduction so much but the corrosion resistance would be cool.

6. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    To me the weight means a lot. The reason I went with the Kel-Tec instead of the NAA is because of the weight. I filled a small flat box with quarters equal to the two guns and to a Seecamp and the P3 won hands down. But as far as the pocket, lighter would be better. Of course shooting is a different matter, and maybe the P32 would be a better candidate for a lightweight slide. BTW, thanks for the info on the Taurus. They say their 738Ti weighs in at 9 oz, over 1 oz less than their SS.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Here's what Kel-Tec has to say about the P3-AT. It still weighs in at less than the titanium Taurus.

Wonder what they were shooting to get 250 ft lbs of muzzle energy! :-?

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Typo maybe ? 205 fpe maybe?

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Occasional rebluing is the answer for me. As it wears it has to be replaced. My P3AT is with me everyday and as I right this at 11:10pm CST.

10. As it gets lighter more folks will limp wrist it, etc. I also feel it is very light as is. But it was the size calaber combo I bought it for, not the wieght.

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Buffalo Bore claims 1061 fps for their 100gr FN out of a P-3AT.  250.09 fpe...  :)

Never mind KT has had that up for years - longer than the BB load has been around. They must have known somehow!

12. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    lite weight = limp wrist for some shooters.

13. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio

^^^ I thought that was light in the loafers???
    ;)