Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Tips for a simple scope stop for a .22

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  GoesBang 
#1 · (Edited)
I have not shot a scoped .22 rifle in decades but I do remember the scope can creep in the dove tail. I'm thinking of either: 1)Drilling thru the rear mount into the receiver slightly and pin it 2)drill into the dovetail behind the rear mount and use a pin or screw 3)Some type of tape on the claws of the dovetail mount. The tape would seem the simplest. Maybe 3M vhb type? It's for my Marlin 995. I have my Tasco 3-9x40 on it. Kind of a heavy scope for it so I think it might creep. Also, I only have hand tools. No press or anything. Thanks for any tips.

#2 · (Edited)
I would recommend trying to do it without modifying the receiver in any way. Pinning it would be a nightmare if it ever needed to be removed because you can't get a flush pin out of a blind hole.
I drilled and tapped this 'wandering' rear sight and put a 4mm setscrew in it.
The 4x.7mm tap required a special 3.3mm drill bit, but the setscrew put a stop to the foolishness.
The sight new was only $30 so that would be the most I was out if I screwed it up.

Green Cylinder

Just my Font

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
I screwed up also. In my aging mind I thought it would move rearward. Also on a you tube tip about a mount for it the guy mentions "backward". Anyway I made a small hole in the top of receiver BEHIND the rear ring. Then I used a a nubby self tapping screw, about 1/8 in long, with lock tite on it. Got it off and touched it up with some blk paint. Really ticked myself off. I usually measure twice cut it once. Put a defect, albeit a small one, in a rather pristine Marlin 995. Oh well, not to bad of a screw up as screwups go:eek:

#13 ·
A one-piece mount, vs. two separate rings, should really help. You have a lot more surface area contacting the dovetail to add more friction to keep things in place. Also, make sure your mount is mating up with the dovetail appropriately. Cheap mounts/rings may require you to file/fit them so that their angles match the angles of the dovetail.

Note that .22LR dovetails are typically spec'ed at 3/8" width. Whereas airgun dovetails are usually spec'ed at 11mm width. Which is your mount/rings? Is it the same as your dovetail? And to top that off, both .22LR and airgun dovetails vary from this spec, as do any mount/rings you may have. The cheaper they are, the more they tend to vary. Luckily, .22's don't recoil much, otherwise I'd expect them to be throwing their scopes across the range regularly, with all this slop in mounting. Airguns, at least the "springer" variety, recoil more, and in different directions, and those are the guns that really need scope stops. .22 rifles? Not so much. Check the fit and how well your rings match the dovetail you're trying to attach them to. Don't be shy about filing to correct a poor fit. A little jewelers file is what you want to use, not your giant lawnmower blade sharpening one. A one-piece mount, at the quality level you need for a .22, is cheap. e.g., this one for $14.95

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_3_8_Dovetail/805

#15 · (Edited)
Not all 22 rifles have a 3/8" dovetail. Most of them do.

Airsoft Airsoft gun Office equipment

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

The Henry uses a cantilever picatinny style base. You have to remove the rear sight in order to install it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.