Time to start accessorizing

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Navy87Guy, May 31, 2008.

1. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    With the shipping of the SU22 just around the corner, I'm starting to think accessories already. So here are a couple of questions:

- Who carries the Atchison conversion magazines that will work with the SU22? My Google Fu hasn't turned up anything promising.

- Will the Kel-Tec store offer the pistol grip stock for sale as soon as the rifles are released? I checked the current store and nothing is listed.

- What else is on the "must have" list for the new SU22?

Jim

2. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Okay, I answered my own question #1 -- by finding out that the Atchison design was acquired by Ciener -- so it's really Ciener/ mags I'm looking for.

So the revised question: who has the best price on the Ciener mags? So far, $35 each + $7 S/H is the best I've found. Anybody have a better price?

Jim

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Search on GunBroker.com and elsewhere online for Black Dog. They make the mags that Kel-Tec is using. Your choice of clear, smoke and black. You can buy them directly from Black Dog but their online cart was broken when I checked yesterday and they advised calling to order. No prices were listed. There were a few listed on GunBroker, for a little less than you quoted. They certainly aren't cheap magazines, but on the plus side... they aren't cheap magazines. Just like optics, cheap mags are usually very expensive in the long term.

I deciding against buying spare mags before I have the SU-22. If they were cheaper, I'd have bought them, but I decided to wait until I had some experience with the mag that ships with the SU-22, and maybe we can all go in on a group buy or something. I think I bought my RFB mags about a year ago?!?

We have unofficial word from Kel-Tec that they were getting 10 round magazines for non-free states like Kalifornia. The way it was stated, I interpreted it to mean that all of the SU-22s wouldn't ship with wussified 10 round mags so they can be sold everywhere, so Kalifornia essentially writes our laws for us beause manufacturers decide to cater to the least common denominator. That always bugged me.

The initial SU-22 will ship with the original style SU stock. I'm going to try replacing mine with a leftover Charlie under folding stock. A bit later, Kel-Tec plans to offer the SU-22 with the pistol grip AR stock. You can buy that stock separately from Kel-Tec now, but it'll be more expensive because you're buying two stocks, one with the rifle and another as an accessory.

4. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I think brownells has the magazines for a good price. (at least they used to have them discounted)

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=black dog machine&ps=10&si=True

old style 30 round "skinny" mags for $30
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...0-ROUND MAGAZINE FOR CIENER .22 LR CONVERSION

newer style 27round mags for $35
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...APACITY MAGAZINE FOR CIENER .22 LR CONVERSION

Though I also would not suggest you stock up on accessories, before you have the rifle in your hands. It's hard to tell which stores will get them first when it is released, it might be several weeks before you get one in your hands.

You can call Kel-Tec and order the AR stock kit. The kit, and the fully assembled version, should be on the webstore within a few weeks. The BDM magazines with the Kel-tec logo will also be available from the kel-tec store though I think the price is the same.

There is a seperate model number for the Rifles (and pistols) with the 10round mags for california and the other oppressed states. the firearms with the 27rounders are the first that are shipping.

5. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Thanks for the info!

If Kel-Tec will be selling the 27-rd mags for the same price as the other places, I guess I'll wait. I'd rather give my money to them than Brownell's or CTD.

I understand the initial delivery will be limited and "spotty" -- I'm just being optimistic that these things will take off like hot cakes and mags will be hard to come by! After what I just paid for WWB 9mm ammo, I think guns in .22LR will be very popular in the near term!

Jim