Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been shared before, I took a borescope to my 20.5" RDB-C today. Please excuse the carbon and brass fouling, they are from the last 200 rounds I have fired during my last range visit, I had cleaned the barrel with a few patches with CLP before the range. Here are some pictures:

Throat, well broken in, smooth as it should be:

Just in front of the throat, lots of carbon fouling, the land has some small horizontal lines and I think they are small cracks produced by hot burning powder

Gas port, some very minor erosion, it is also situated mostly in the rifling grooves, which is probably accidental. Less carbon fouling here compared to the throat area, mostly just brass fouling. You can also see tooling marks as they run horizontally. BTW my RDB round count is around 800.

As a comparison, a brand new BA premium SS barrel, no gas port erosion
Automotive lighting Gas Circle Fixture Rim

And the throat, notice those tooling marks, however premium they market this SS barrel, a Honda is still a Honda
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Grille Automotive fog light

Another comparison, not apples to apples but I just want to show the gas erosion effect, a well-loved HK P7 PSP, the gas port is actually in the throat area, you can see start of the polygonal rifling to the left side of the picture.
Wood Auto part Circle Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

What it should look like new, this is from a new P7, check out those flutes, a P7 can eject reliably without an extractor thanks to those flutes
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Circle Tints and shades

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting pics Gxer. Thanks for posting them.

I guess it's a good thing that the RDB has an adjustable gas system then? :confused:
I believe your barrel throat would probably give up first before your gas port erosion is bad enough to cause a cycling problem, even so, that problem will be less visible in a semiauto rifle

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Came back from a range visit and cleaned my RDB barrel with an non-brushing OTIS bore snake and some CLP, here are some new pictures
Throat: notice how compared to the one before cleaning, now you can see those small cracks in the lands, this is why you shouldn't clean your barrel too often, the carbon and brass from bullet firing will fill those small cracks and make the surface smoother which translates to better accuracy. Rule of thumb is you should only clean it when you see degradation in accuracy.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Automotive fog light Tints and shades

Before:

Gas port, with most of the carbon fouling removed
Fixture Material property Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades

1 - 5 of 5 Posts