Three Reasons the SU 22 is the Best .22LR

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Bigsullic, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Bigsullic

Bigsullic New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Just got my Kel Tec SU 22 this past weekend and put 600+ rounds through it! It is seriously the best .22lr I have ever fired in those 600+ rounds I was shooting about 1inch to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. (after sighting in my Red Head Bass Pro scope for $30.00)

The 3 reasons that My Kel Tec SU 22 is the best .22lr

1) Price vs Value - All Kel Tec products are high value low price but this one tops them 325.00 is all I paid
    2) Light Weight- Shoot this gun all day and the only part of you that will be tired is your eyes from scope's and thumbs from mags
    3) Fun Factor- Its just a blast. having the rails on it makes it accessory friendly and the ar15 style mags and release is just bad ***. plus everyone will ask you what gun that is when you come to the range with it folded in half. Let me see your AK/AR15 or Ruger do that.
    Enjoy the Best .22 you will own I know I am! ;D

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I quite agree. It had been a long time since I shot much .22 LR, and what little shooting I've done in the past year and a half has been with the way-fun SU-22. I'm a big fan.

I can't help you with the scope, but the thumb problem is nicely remedied with a relatively inexpensive (although still a bit pricey for a single shot injection molded piece of plastic) Christie mag loader.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/loader-ar-15-m16--22lr-thumb-loader-by-christie-s-products-1.aspx

I'd add:

4) Accessorizability! (yes, I know it's not a real word)
    In addition to the lower rail on the forend, Kel-Tec makes it very easy to swap the A/B stock for the underfolding C stock. I dd, and I love it. I can even fire it folded, like a long PLR-22! Kel-Tec also makes a pistol grip stock that accepts AR butt stocks which will fir the bill nicely for anyone looking for an AR style .22 LR. The pistol grip AR stock will even allow the SU-22 to accept a side folding butt stock, and the threaded muzzle will accept a .22 LR suppressor. That'd be totally wicked, for anyone willing to pay the BATFE for the privilege. The rail on top accepts a wide range of optics. Or, just leave it light and simple! The choice is yours.

3. Bigsullic

Bigsullic New Member

Feb 8, 2010
  4. amaff

amaff New Member

Aug 15, 2009
  5. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Anyone know of a video of that loader in action?

6. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I don't have a video, but the Christie's mag loader is a simple device with no moving parts. It works like the original Glock mag loader. It's nothing more than a sleeve that slides down over the outside of the magazine, and a tab that pushes down on the rim side of the top round in the magazine so the next round can be started under the front of the feed lips. Using the Christie's mag loader, I can load the 27 round mag in under a minute, with no frustrating fumbling around and no sore thumb. I think it works best if the bottom of the magazine is resting on my belly or my thigh, so my left hand can operate the mag loader and my right hand can push in the ammo.

There is a much more expensive magazine loader that's much more complicated and considerably faster, but I'm not loading THAT many mags. The Christie's mag loader is very light weight, compact, and easy to carry in a range bag or in the foam padded hard case next to the SU-22.

7. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Hey! stay out of my project Jar ;D. Stay tuned. ;) The BATFE privilege is working its way up the "should I spend the money list".

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Let me see, this one came standard with rails, takes newly made black dog mags, and hmm....came with the removable BUIS as well.

stock options galore, although it comes with a nice stock as it is, and did I say it came with all the rails. not having to purchase them was a plus.

and a little over 400.00 is not too bad....it was 425.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Nice virtual-rjhauser!

"Best" is a relative term. It's very subjective.

For the money, I still like my SU-22C. It also ships with upper and lower rails and iron sights, and has plenty of stock options.

[​IMG]

~$380 as shown

Hey, will your .22 rifle do this?  :)

[​IMG]

Mine's a lot lighter, more compact for easy packing, and it has a 4X scope which my old eyes appreciate. I've had great fun shooting this little .22 LR folding carbine. With an improvised rest, it's almost boringly accurate.

I think I'll do a trigger job if I ever find a few hours of spare time (like that's ever going to happen). I might try to get a better scope, although the TruGlo is working well and it's small and lightweight.

I removed the VFG. It was fun to shoot and ergonomic, but not consistent with my desire for a lightweight, packable, accurate .22 carbine.

It's fairly quiet even without a suppressor, and as accurate as it is, it'd be surprisingly effective for tactical defense at 100 yards or less. Seriously.

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    fwiw, yes. my su-22c will fold.

remember, i got one when the guy at dds ranch wanted to argue legality of it......

everything has a purpose. right now, it is affordibility. 22 ammo means a whole day of fun

11. shinyhalo

shinyhalo New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I don't get it how this is $380.

SU-22 = $350
    C-stock = $148
    vertical grip?
    scope?

I wish they sold the SU-22 with a charlie stock already on

12. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    $327.14 out the door for the SU-22CA. The rest is the scope and rings. I already had the Charlie stock from my SU-16C that I converted to an SU-16E, so that's kinda cheating when compared to buying everything from scratch.

I'm surprised that Kel-Tec still hasn't made the SU-22C a regular product. For some reason, the assembly pin is a bit tighter on the SU-22 when the Charlie stock is added. It's not too bad but maybe that's the reason they've been reluctant to market the SU-22C? Or maybe they're like me, with too many projects, and the Must Do projects keep me from getting to the Should Do projects.

13. KORNBREAD

KORNBREAD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    GA
    I really want a Charlie stock on my SU. It's just hard to pony up that 150$ to get it, especially when factory one is as good as it is.

14. Hopalong

Hopalong New Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I'd suggest that you buy yourself an SU-16C and swap the stocks, but I see from your sig that you already have a Bravo. Given that the AR-style pistol grip kit (with stock) is cheaper than the Charlie stock, I'll likely be going that route if I change mine up.