Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wan pondering to my self today as I picked up some more Remington 300-Blackout that I was wondering if the SU-16 came with this option. I viewed Kel-Tecs page and got my answer. NO,
Hmmm I wonder why? Not a demand ? Some technical Issue? Or maybe not enough of a performance increase to prove a valuable asset to the Kel- Tec line up. Or maybe just no one has suggested it to them ( fat chance right.) o_O. Any way Let me know what you think. Good :) Bad :( or indifferent :rolleyes:.
Bullet Ammunition Gun accessory
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Metal
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Trigger Assault rifle Rifle

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
I was very excited a few years ago when 300 BLK was gaining popularity and Kel-Tec announced at SHOT Show that they would have an SU-16 in 300 BLK. I bought brass and 300 BLK reloading dies. I'm such a fool. :D

Of course, there was no 300 BLK SU-16, which is a shame. That would have been sweet. A 300 BLK PLR-16 would have been an awesome little personal defense weapon. Assuming this was more than just a passing thought and actually made it into development, I suspect that Kel-Tec ran into a problem getting reliable operation with the gas porting issues that 300 BLK can cause. 300 BLK is almost two different calibers, depending on whether it's supersonic or subsonic. I think most manufacturers use a shorter gas porting, as done with the PLR-16 and SU-16D, but even then, supersonic can be over gassed or subsonic can be under gassed.

I'd still love to have a 300 BLK SU or PLR if anyone at Kel-Tec is listening. It wouldn't be a commercially viable product, but I'd even buy one if it was subsonic only, or supersonic only.

I still have 1000 pieces of hand made 300 BLK brass and those reloading dies that have only been used to reform the trimmed Lake City 223 cases into 300 BLK brass.

Reactions: jimboksg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was very excited a few years ago when 300 BLK was gaining popularity and Kel-Tec announced at SHOT Show that they would have an SU-16 in 300 BLK. I bought brass and 300 BLK reloading dies. I'm such a fool. :D

Of course, there was no 300 BLK SU-16, which is a shame. That would have been sweet. A 300 BLK PLR-16 would have been an awesome little personal defense weapon. Assuming this was more than just a passing thought and actually made it into development, I suspect that Kel-Tec ran into a problem getting reliable operation with the gas porting issues that 300 BLK can cause. 300 BLK is almost two different calibers, depending on whether it's supersonic or subsonic. I think most manufacturers use a shorter gas porting, as done with the PLR-16 and SU-16D, but even then, supersonic can be over gassed or subsonic can be under gassed.

I'd still love to have a 300 BLK SU or PLR if anyone at Kel-Tec is listening. It wouldn't be a commercially viable product, but I'd even buy one if it was subsonic only, or supersonic only.
I wouldn't say your a fool. Heck even Ruger has one so If kel tec said It I would have assumed the same. I hope they'll get around to it. I Love the round personally.

I still have 1000 pieces of hand made 300 BLK brass and those reloading dies that have only been used to reform the trimmed Lake City 223 cases into 300 BLK brass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.