Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.amazon.com/HiViz-Plain-B...=sporting-goods&qid=1254942885&sr=8-2

After my Mossberg 500 28" barrel met it's demise fighting against a bandsaw, and is now only 19" long, I was thinking about a replacement front sight.  This is for home defense, so a front sight might even be considered optional.  I certainly can't see that I need an expensive one.  Anyone used one of the snap-on front sights like in the URL above?  Looks like an easy way to avoid gunsmith charges ... if it actualy works.  Alternately, I was thinking of having a gunsmith install a front sight and a rear ghost ring, but that would get much more expensive, and might be overkill for a home defense shotgun.

p.s. - I do have a snap-on mini-mag light mount that works great on this Mossberg.  That thing does not move one bit - you have to be a real gorilla to move it or remove it.  So there is nothing wrong with snap-on technology in general IMHO, but I don't know about this specific sight from HiViz.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Looks like it will fit your bill exactly. I wonder how tight it holds, and it maybe brushing the barrel on something might cause it to rotate or slide forward. If you get it let us know how it works!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Give it a try. It might actually work well, who knows. IMO a front sight is kinda optional for HD as you stated, but in low light that might make it easier to line up a shot.

If it does end up moving you could always use a little epoxy or something to help keep it in place.

CJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
They hold extremly well. I had trouble getting mine onto my 500's 18" barrel. Probably fit even tighter on a cut down barrel. They have a notch that butts against the front bead for alignment, but you can really just eyeball it for close work. Might be different on a slick blued gun, but on my marine coat it won't side or wiggle at all. Great visiblity too!

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That OpticsPlanet item looks like the TruGlo equivalent to the HiViz sight.

I went ahead and ordered the HiViz one from Amazon, because I needed something to bump my order up over $25 so I could get free shipping.  Hopefully the sight will work well, but the main thing I wanted to order was the flashlight/picatinny mount for the shotgun:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Universal...=sporting-goods&qid=1254892614&sr=1-1

I just placed an order today with OpticsPlanet too, but their price on the shotgun mount above was $7 higher than Amazon, so I split my order between the two businesses so I could get free shipping from both.  And also an order with DealExtreme (for the flashlight to put in the mount I ordered from Amazon!, and also for another trial-EDC flashlight).

I was a bad boy with the credit card today!  (Feels SO good though!!!)

G

·
My shorty 870 has similar sites (front and back) but they slip on the elevated portion of the vent ribbed barrel. Sites - front and back - DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE - in Self Defense drills by improving accuracy and GREATLY extending the range of the shotgun.

If you have never tried point shooting and patterning your SD shotgun- you may be very surprised to find you really do need to aim the things.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Got one on my turkey barrel on an 870, really like it. Jumps out @ you in all light situations. I have the green. Just don't try to remove it after you put it on, it'll split when you take it off. I just slide mine back to clean, and then back forward.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just received the HiVis snap-on sight today.  Looks to be a winner.  Attaches very solidly.  No movement or looseness.  The fiber optic is very bright!  I'm used to seeing smaller fiber optic sights, but this one is a good 2-1/2" long and pretty thick in diameter.  It gathers a whole lotta light!  Recommended.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No doubt a gunsmith-installed front sight setup would be better (and a LOT more expensive), but for the low price I was willing to pay (< $15 in this case), this snap-on is really good.  I have no second thoughts about having bought it.  I would buy it again.  Absolutely perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phokis said:
My mossy will be happy to have it's first accessory.
Here's another cool accessory for mounting a flashlight:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Universal...=sporting-goods&qid=1254892614&sr=1-1

I receieved this in the same order as my snap-on sight.  This tri-rail mounts solid as a rock.  I'm still waiting for the flashlight itself to be delivered.  This mount holds your flashlight and three other picatinny accessories (which is overkill, but still cool).  If you get one for a Mossberg 500, get the smaller size (with three slots).  The larger size is too long for the short amount of magazine tube you have to work with on the 500.  If you have a 590 or something else with a longer mag tube, there is a 5 slot version of this mount available.

The stock and forend I bought for my Mossberg are from these guys:

http://www.blackwarrior.us/products.php?cat=13

I like their stock because it's a two-piece.  You can use it as a full length pistol grip stock (as shown in the picture) or as a small pistol grip only.  There is no recoil pad, and I haven't shot with it yet so I don't know what a 12ga will feel like with no buttpad.  If it's bad, I'll buy a slip-on pad.  Their forend is the standard replacement one you can find at many places.  It is nicer than their picture indicates.  Their Mossberg forend looks like the forend in their picture for the heatshield.  I don't know where they got that blurry picture they have displayed for the Mossberg forend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice... What light did you get? I have the 500

After about 25 to 35 rounds with a 12 gauge you will be asking for a recoil reducer of some sort.

I saw the limb saver at BPS but I am kinda stuck on getting the Spec Ops stock so I am gonna wait to get that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a spec ops for a while, but the extra weight always bugged me. It did reduce recoil a bit, but I like my Hogue standard stock better. I had the full stock version, because a pistol grip makes the saftey on a mossberg hard to reach. Perhaps the pistol grip (adjustable) is lighter. Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there, as when I bought the spec ops I expected more than I got.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phokis said:
What light did you get?
I thought I'd give our Chinese friends a shot at it before spending a lot of money on a SureFire or similar.  I ordered this one:

Light: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16178
Pressure pad: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1025

I'll be powering the above with two CR123A's (top-tier USA made - Panasonic, Duracell, or Surefire brand)

I also bought this little light to try out for pocket carry:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19187

For this one I'll use a standard AA alkaline cell.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vwspdshp said:
...a pistol grip makes the saftey on a mossberg hard to reach.
Very true.  And it also make the slide release hard to get at (I used to curl my trigger hands finger under the stock to get at that release).

Now, I double check that the shotgun is unloaded, pull the trigger, then put five shells into the magazine tube.  Nothing in the chamber.  I leave the safety in the off position.  To bring the gun into action you just need to rack the slide and you're ready to go.  Just the sound of that slide racking might put an end to a situation right there!  No safety to mess with.  No slide release to mess with (the slide is free, since you pulled the trigger already, before you loaded the gun).

I clip a flourescent orange indicator behind the slide to remind anyone seeing the shotgun that it is loaded.  The indicator I use is actually a C-shaped line keeper for a spinning fishing reel.  Originally meant to keep the line from unwinding off the spool when not in use.  But it fits perfectly behind the slide, stuck over the two actuator bars.  Just racking the slide flings it off, out of the way.  Even if it were to stay in place when racking, it doesn't block the slides full travel.  I tested that specifically when I first came up with the linekeeper-indicator idea.  I taped it in place as a test and found that it just rides along with the actuators, harmlessly.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Range report on Hi-Viz snap on front site:

Rapid fire, 2-3/4" target loads, 1-1/8 oz of #8 shot, 3 dr. eq., 5 shots, reload, 5 more shots ... no movement of sight.

Rapid fire, 2-3/4" magnum #00 buckshot, 2 shots, noticeably higher recoil ... second shot threw sight off of barrel.

I believe the sight slipped off the front of the barrel while the shotgun was in recoil (duh!)  I do not have any front bead sight installed, if I had that then I believe the snap-on sight would have butted up against it and stayed in place.  I will try roughing up the inside of the snap-on sight with a rasp/file to see if it will get more traction.  If that fails, I might try some glue.  The snap-on sight still feels very solid and is not easy to move, but I guess 12ga buckshot has enough recoil to move it.

On a side note: the pistolgrip full length stock helps with the recoil compared to a plain straight stock.  It was not bad at all, even with no recoil absorbing pad on the stock.  The target loads were easy to control a followup shot.  The magnum buckshot was more difficult, but not unmanageable.  I could shoot those target loads for fun.  The magnum buckshots recoil was not "fun", but easily tolerable.  Pretty much like a higher-powered rifle.  This was without any recoil pad - just the hard plastic stock.  Adding a pad should certainly help.

Another side note: the pattern of #00 buck out of my cut-down 19" barrel was wider than I though it would be.  About an 8 inch circle from 15 feet out (I didn't measure, I'm just guesstimating the pattern width and shooting distance).  I did not have any #4 or #1 buck on me to test their pattern width.  Aim was dead-on using that front snap-on sight and no rear sight (I just lined up the bead of the snap-on with the top of the receiver).

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Haertig, did you have the light installed during your range trip, if so how did it hold up? I've had a mini-mag light on my HD shotgun for a couple of years but come to find out that the recoil knocks the bulb out of the socket. I'd hate to spend alot of money on a new light as I will more than likely switch to my G23 for HD pretty soon.

I wonder if some of that friction tape on the barrel under the sight would help it stay on. Or maybe some automotive RTV adhesive, something that would stay flexible.

CJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts