Third Generation P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Tried searches with a number of key words to find a topic on what folks would like to see if there were ever to be a third generation P3AT. If there is such a thread please point me to it.

Otherwise, what would you like to see new/improved/different in a 3G P3AT and maybe what you’d be willing to pay for it with respect to size, weight and dollors?

Me, I’d like the 3G to have a metal catch, a sight groove instead of the current sights, a wider trigger and come with two magazines. I’d be willing to pay $20.00 - $25.00 extra for the gun. I don’t think there’d be any need to change the size of the gun and the sight groove might compensate for the extra weight of the metal mag catch and wider trigger.

So how about you, what would you like to see in a 3G P3AT?

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    All the improvements you mentioned would be good. I'd also like a slide stop, a rail, an optional deeper back strap, and optional finger extension magazine base plates.

An optional light and/or laser sight that fits well under the new rail, that allows for changing batteries without upsetting the laser zero would also be great.

The best upgrade would be; if they could make it in 9mm without increasing the overall dimensions.

Bobo

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Just realized that there would have to be a lot of metal added to the slide in order to have a sight groove. That would add a lot of weight so scratch that idea.

4. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I really don't want to change anything except maybe a more durable black finish option (think Glock or Kahr).

Well now that I think about it factory painted sights would be nice.

5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I would like to see a one ounce reduction in weight and an internal extraction system. Sure it would be a bit more difficult to change the extractor if needed and a larger number of borderline limpwristers would cuss the P-3AT but the price of used ones would drop back to a reasonable level. Instead of calling it a 3rd Gen, Kel-Tec could go with the Coke theme and call it Classic P-3AT.

Wilson – who’s marching to his own drummer, again :D

6. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    :) I would agree with the metal mag catch, second magazine and a 10 round magazine.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    where would that ouce come from.  maybe a lighter titinium slide :).

where is there enoght thickness  in the slide to put an internal extractor, to me the closes would be a 1G extrator

no more parts should be added, especially a slide stop (KISS).

there is no need for sights any way so just have the slide smooth

How about a clear or opaque grip so you could make a round count ;)

8. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    The 1st-Gen P-3AT (gray grip) weighs only 7.3ozs but the 2nd-Gen (black grip) was increased in weight almost 15% to 8.3ozs. When Kel-Tec switched from Hex-Bar steel to Round-Bar steel. They elected to not go to the expense of milling all the extra metal that would have been required to keep the original shape of the slide & barrel.

[​IMG]

Wilson – who’s the owner of several 2nd-Gen P-3ATs but always carries a 1st-Gen :)

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    That may be true, but there might be enough meat to add a GutterSnipe style sight. Shown here on an NAA Guardian. This would also be a Tritium night sight with white rings which would be a great improvement. Unfortunately, this would probably almost double the price of the gun.

[​IMG]

Bobo

10. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    10 round mag, that's about it.

No more weight, don't need sights, and a wider trigger might be a ND hazard.

:cool:

11. praetorian

praetorian New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Honestly i think the pistol is fine as is. They work, they are simple and lets face it, you wont use the sights in a defensiuve situation anyway. I dont even use the sights at the range, just point and shoot with both eyes open. I think the only realy improvement might be offering bigger mags. Say a 10 rounder to carry on your belt for after the fisrt 7...

12. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    A slide stop is not an inessential luxury on a pistol.

13. jocko

jocko Guest

If they made a 9mm the size of the 380 kt, NO ONE could handle it :-/ There comes a time and place for deminishing returns and a 9mm that size would certainly fill that boat. You won't ever see that happen from kt or anyone IMO. The pf9 and P11 have reached the size and weight limits for a 9mm to be a goof functioning handgun. IMO the pf9 is not there yet but the P11 has .

14. jocko

jocko Guest

OR STAINLESS :-/

15. jocko

jocko Guest

+10 on the 10 rounder. would make a super range magazine. not a wider trigger but a "better" trigger. I can shoot my 32 with the 10 rd magazine much more accurate than with the standard magazine. and 11 rounds out of that 32 kt, wow, there oughtto be a law against that even ;D ;D

16. jocko

jocko Guest

very odd that kt has not addressed the 10 rd magazinein the 380 kt. Their most popular handgun, no doubt ever, and if they could introuduce it in the 32, why not in the 380. I am sure Meg-gar could and would make it and certainly it has been mentioned enough on this board for kt to have noticed it..

17. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    How about a peen proof slide? ::)

18. I have the 3rd Gen !

Metal mag catch and second mag:
    [​IMG]
    Almost ten (nine) round mag:
    [​IMG]

If you want... check the link for the extended mag!

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176394771/10#10

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't know NAS - I would be REALLY bothered by that black mag extension on my grey grip... ;)

-Scott

20. Well, most folks will never see the black mag extension until after the first mag was dropped and they already have somehwere between one to seven carbon dpx slugs close to center of mass. At that point in their soon to be completed life, I don't think the mix matched color scheme would matter much to them!