Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I current have a P3AT that I obtain through a trade. It's a decent little pistol and for the size accuracy impressed me not to mention for the price. However the darn thing is just too small for me, I have really long fingers and it can actually be hard for me to get the trigger all the way back.

So after giving it over a year to grow on me I have decided that it's just not for me and going to get rid of it and upgrade to a 9mm (which I want anyhow). Now I been thinking of going to a full size pistol such as the Sigma but Kel-Tec has impressed me with the P3AT and I like smaller pistol as they just seem easier to have on person at all times. So that leads me to looking at the P11.

The P11 basically just seems like the P3AT's big brother. But how does it compare to the P3AT other than looks. The size is a little bigger and pocket carry is out of the question I would think but I like IWB carry best anyhow. How's the recoil compare? Less, More? Do you still get the slap from the trigger guard as with the P3AT? Is it as reliable? Let me know your opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I carry my P11 on a fobus holster on my right hip under a T shirt. It virtually disappears. No one knows i have it on. If I carry a full size the same way, it is very noticeable! If I carry IWB, I use the belt clip!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If your looking for a pocket 9mm go with the little brother of the P11 the PF 9. It is a single stack 7 rounds. It has a slimmer profile and fits in a pocket easily. I have both the P11 and the PF9. If I am going to carry to a social event I carry the PF 9 under my suit coat in a belt slide holster. Any other place I go I carry the P11 in a belt slide holster under a Polo shirt or light jacket. The PF9 has a little better trigger than the P11 but I like both. One thing the PF9 does have some reliabilty issues from time to time, I have never had an issue with my P11. Hope this helps have a great day.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I prefer to CCW my PF-9 over the Glock 26,Why,Lighter,Slimmer,Well I dont need to say anymore Oh yea in hot weather its very comfortable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking more towards the P11 because it's a time proven design. Pocket carry if nice at times but I can do without, other than maybe jacket pocket. Any input on the recoil? The P3AT isn't too bad in my book I can get follow up shots off pretty good but don't want anything much more than that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I do not have an issue with recoil on the P11, It is a little snappy but very managable. Don't worry about the recoil. I find if I put the mag extension on it makes it more managable and IMHO does not make it any harder to conceal.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
P-11 trigger is long and heavy, much heavier than the P3AT. Other than that, it is an awesome gun. I miss mine sometimes but my hands are giving me some problems and couldn't handle the trigger any longer for more than a mag full.

As far as recoil, I would mix a variety of +P and standard pressure loads in mine when out plinking in the woods and I couldn't tell one round from the other. It tames recoil very well.

Love my PF9 but I think for someone not concerned with the heavy trigger pull, the P11 is the better option. Both have been completely reliable for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After deciding on a new P11, I was surprised to find them largely out of stock with my usual online dealers. An email to Kel-Tec questioning availability was answered that they would soon be back in stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They have them all over the place here. It's the Sub2000 we can't get a hold of. Every shop in town has at least a dozen P11s in stock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I pocket carry my P11 in a Don Hume pocket holster. In slacks it prints, but I carry it anyway and haven't been called out or noticed as far as I can tell. In jeans, you can hardly see it. My take is that only those that carry a gun can spot a gun and they won't say anything...I don't.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Really, the difference between the size/weight of the P11 and the PF9 is pretty negligible - compared to a P3AT, though, it's pretty significant. Honestly, I would hang onto the P3AT as a backup because both the P11 and PF9 are both so-so when it comes to pocket carry, due to both weight and size - they're not impossible to pocket carry, but guns as thin/small/light as the P3AT are pretty tough to beat for that role, so you may wind up being disappointed if that's your preferred method of carry. If IWB or OWB is your preferred carry method, though, the P11 is about as good as it gets - pretty much the absolute lightest, thinnest double-stack 9mm out there, and it has a longer and more reliable track record than the PF9 (which isn't bad but is slightly more finicky by design).

Get a P11 in hard chrome (or get a blued model and apply a good aftermarket finish), poke it into a Remora holster of any flavor, and never look back. Pretty much as good as it gets for EDC CCW, IMHO. (How's that for an acronym combo? :D )

·
Registered
70 Posts
You won't be sorry. IMHO the PF9 is vastly superior. Lighter Trigger, newer, waaaay more popular. Really the only advantage the P-11 has is the mag capacity, which again I'm sure can be rectified in the PF-9 if you reaaaaally want more rounds for the range.

Either way you can't go wrong.

personally, I wish I would have gone for the PF-9 in Coyote tan.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I believe the P11 is a beter weapon at this point anyway, it has been around since the mid 90's and there is just not a lot of issues with them, dont know for sure if it is by design or just the fact they have been around a while, maybe a little of both. That being said the PF9 has a lot of positives, it's smaller, lighter, and has a better/lighter trigger pull. I have both, never had an issue with my p11, I have had a problem with extraction on this my second and my first PF9, both were eventually fixed and tho I traded the first it was well over 300 rounds without issue. Either way you have the best CS in the bussiness behind your purchase.

·
Registered
541 Posts
OK so I current have a P3AT that I obtain through a trade. It's a decent little pistol and for the size accuracy impressed me not to mention for the price. However the darn thing is just too small for me, I have really long fingers and it can actually be hard for me to get the trigger all the way back.

So after giving it over a year to grow on me I have decided that it's just not for me and going to get rid of it and upgrade to a 9mm (which I want anyhow). Now I been thinking of going to a full size pistol such as the Sigma but Kel-Tec has impressed me with the P3AT and I like smaller pistol as they just seem easier to have on person at all times. So that leads me to looking at the P11.

The P11 basically just seems like the P3AT's big brother. But how does it compare to the P3AT other than looks. The size is a little bigger and pocket carry is out of the question I would think but I like IWB carry best anyhow. How's the recoil compare? Less, More? Do you still get the slap from the trigger guard as with the P3AT? Is it as reliable? Let me know your opinions.

Thanks
Get the p11 and put in the Northwoods trigger - you will love it and not have some of the issues with the Pf9 - just my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts