Thinking of getting a P-3AT for the wife

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Holling, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Holling

Holling New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Noob with a question. I'm thinking of getting a P-3AT for the wife to CCW, any pro's or con comments? She says a Glock 26 is to big for her purse. ::)
    Thanks,
    Holling

2. Has your wife shot much?

Does she know how to load, shoot, clear, an auto loader?

These little guns are a bit to handle compared to a some other auto loaders.

My 2 cents- ANY ONE that carries should feel comfortable with the gun. By comfortable I mean they should be able to shoot it, clear a jam, load it..etc.

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    How is she w/ recoil?
    Mine opted for the P 32. She shot my P 11 and P 3AT and liked the 32 best.

4. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Some women might be fine with a P-3AT but some might not like the recoil. I love my P-3AT for front pocket carry but a J frame 38 would be easy to carry in a purse and its easier to shoot. Depends how experienced with handguns and how recoil sensitive your wife is. I don't think a P-3AT would be a good first handgun. If your wife is an experienced shooter go for it, she will love it. The beauty of it is it can be with you 24/7/365.

5. Holling

Holling New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    She has some shooting experience but big recoil is something that she doesn't like. I didn't factor in that with the little pocket rocket. I guess I'll find somebody around here with a P-32 for her to try out.
    Thanks,
    Holling

6. P45inMYpocket

P45inMYpocket New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    If she doesnt like recoil you will not want to get a airweight or a lightweight jframe for that matter. my airweight j 38 with target ammo in my opinion has more felt recoil than my p3at. Now if you were to get a slightly heavier 357 j frame and load it with 38's that might just handle recoil nicely. the p32 is nice if you want a small package. She will like shooting it more than a p3at.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Have never shot a P32 but wifey carries a P3AT, her choice after shooting that, a baby Glock and a 642. She wouldn't carry anything else.

But something else you said bugged me - purse carry is not a real safe way of carrying as she is not in control of the weapon all of the time. A lot of weapons can fit in a purse, but something she can have ON her all the time is a better choice, IMNSHO.

-Scott

8. Holling

Holling New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I 100% agree with you. She does uses a Galco purse so it has a hidden gun pocket but a CCW on your person is a much better way to carry.

9. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Based on personal experience, let your wife choose what she wants to carry. If she doesn't like the feel, the recoil, or the weight she WON'T carry it or use it. I carry both a P3AT and a P32, among others, and gave my wife a 380. She likes the 380 round, but now carries a Walther PPK as she likes the feel and weight better than the Kel-Tec. Go figure...............

10. not2clvr

not2clvr New Member

Sep 11, 2008
  11. Holling

Holling New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    What a great website! Thank you not2clvr, you screen name should be im2clvr instead!