Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit disturbed about what I read on this forum regarding P3AT problems. I've owned Glock's, Beretta's, and even Taurus's and never had any problems or concerns. I would like to buy a P3AT for CCW just because of it's size, weight, and caliber. Are the problems with the Kel-Tec line typical of most "low cost" pistol manufactures? Should I buy the P3AT and just deal with the possible issues???

Thanks,
Hawk

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Hawk - welcome -

I can only give you my opinion but I think many others here will agree. If you want perfect out of the box with a very VERY low chance to have to do nothing to it and have it last 50,000 rounds go buy a glock, ruger or ??? But oh ya, they don't make a pistol with this size/weight/power ratios. And oh ya, they don't make a sub $300 pistol. There are a few (2 other?) mfgs that make a pistol somewhat close but I believe you spend a $1000 for them and they have just as many problems...hmmm.

The P3AT is not perfect and it seems, again in my opinion, that MOST of the issues could have been resolved with stricter quality control at KT but, unfortunately, that is just not happening. I have several P3s so I obviously think they are worth it. You have to go into it understanding that you might have to do a bit of work to get it perfect for you as well as understanding it is not going to be a range gun. A phrase others have coined is that this is a "carry a lot, shoot a little" pistol once you have a few hundred rounds through it so both you and it are broken in.

The other thing that should not go without mention in the decision making process is KTs SPECTACULAR customer service with free parts and a lifetime warranty (its supposed to be to original purchasers only but they dont ask and you dont tell).

Again, it is not for someone who wants to buy a pistol, shoot it for 2 mags, do nothing else and then hope it fires (or they remember how) if they ever need it. It takes some dedication on the users part to have a great relationship with this weapon.

-Scott

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
The "problems" with the KT line are greatly exagerated on this board. People come here when they have problems but most people don't have problems & so don't come here.

As for whether or not you should " buy the P3AT and just deal with the possible issues"; If you want the smallest lightest .380 on the market, it's your only choice.

I knew going in that there was a possibility of problems with my KT. Bought it anyway, half a box of ammo and it was on the road to Florida. Came back in a few weeks and problem free since.

Would I do it again KNOWING what I do now? In a heartbeat!

In this world you have to make tradeoffs. The P3AT is pushing the performance envelope for a weapon this size. I am willing to put up with a lot for a gun I can hide in the pocket OF MY TEE SHIRT!

Read the threads, remember the problems are magnified here and make your decision. If you want a 1,000 round a month range gun, get something else.

If you want to practice that much with your P3, get two. One for the range and one for carry. Remember the lifetime warranty means that even if you wear one of these puppies out they will fix or replace it. Forever.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Dang Scott, do you have this stuff already typed up and ready to copy paste?

You beat me to it, again. ;) ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
RAT76 said:
Dang Scott, do you have this stuff already typed up and ready to copy paste?

You beat me to it, again. ;) ;D
What are you talking about - I gave it a full 30 minutes before I did anything! And no I don't but was thinking I should, this one, peening/washers, and my
issue!

-Scott

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
adamsesq said:
!  And no I don't but was thinking I should, this one, peening/washers, and my
 issue!

-Scott
You mean you don't?

:eek:
;) ;D

& don't forget the "clips".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I kind of made up my mind already to take the good with the bad in order to carry the lightest and smallest 380 out there. Actually, it will be kind of fun to work on it "fluff & buff" and trick it out with a few modifications. It's also very attractive to have a life time warranty in addition to great customer service.

Hawk,

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Excellent attitude, Hawk. You will be fine with your LBG (Little Big Gun).

Jim, who hopes Dustin Hoffman doesn't mind the blatent rip off.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome to the group Hawks57. If you can find a P-3, BUY IT. You will not be sorry. If you have Any problems with it or questions, someone here will be there real soon to help solve the problem or try to buy it off you ;D

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
i think I hold the record for single pistol returns, and I still own 2.

i have sold 2, still own 2. even in spite of the problems.

always own two of everything, just in case they have to go back...

;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my P3 just a month ago and I just love it. It is a J5xxx serial number.

Some Buff and Puff, and xtra lube and 200 rounds later my P3 is very reliable. No problems at all.

For $275 retail price and lifetime warranty nobody can beat that at the moment.

Welcome Hawk, you won't be disssapointed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hawk57 said:
Actually, it will be kind of fun to work on it "fluff & buff" and trick it out with a few modifications.
Hawk,
Don't be too terribly dissappointed if the new P3 shoots just fine right out of the box and there is nothing that needs to be done. :-[

I own several other bottom feeders and this is the only one that has never hiccuped on me once. ::)
Paul G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.