Thinking of buying a P3AT.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by garyd1961, Feb 12, 2011.

1. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    A local gunshop has a new for around $275 but I found a like new used one for $189. Is KDN00 from a good batch or should I just buy the new one?

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    if the gun is in good condition, that is a good price. Flip the question around. Why woundn't you buy it? ;)

Lop

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    That is a good deal. Can you get the shop to warranty it for say 30 days? Any issues and they fix or deal with Kel-Tec. Might be asking to much but worth asking.

So far as I know the most recent (2 years ago?) bad batch of P3ATs had to do with slide guide rod hole peening. My older J2Rxx was in that batch. Your KDNxx is way beyond that issue. I think any issues you might encounter would just be a one off particular to your gun.

Bill K.

4. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    $275 is only a little high, so get it. When you are the original owner, you have a lifetime warranty. How much is that worth? The P3AT is a great little gun...

http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal2.htm

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Aw, shucks,
    let me be the first,
    KelTek don't care who bought it first. They have a great warrenty. Customer support is great.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Im guessing they are both the blued finish. If so I would buy the used one. Then after you test it out you could have it refinished if you want and it would still be less $. Or the extra $ you save could cover a couple extra mags and a pocket holster.

CJ

7. BLRacing67

BLRacing67 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    If I found a used one at that price, I would snatch it up?
    Where is it? ;D

8. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    The new one is at a shop within walking distance from my house. The used one is about an hour and half drive away. The used one doesn't need refinishing it looks new. I like taking a little drive once in a while but don't know if I'll have time. I like the idea of getting a good deal on the used one but the new one is more convenient.

9. 4jfarmer

4jfarmer New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    i always perfer to buy new because ive always got the shaft when ive bought used but from what ive herd of the kel tec customer service is incredible. Havent had to use it yet as i just picked up my first one today and have another one on its way. For the price i could get two for the same price of one of the other manifacturers ;)

10. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    I think I'm going to get the new one. I don't have the time to drive that far, by time I pay for gas I wouldn't save that much and I know the new one hasn't been screwed up by some tool shed gunsmith. I will get to screw up this one myself,lol.
    If anyone wants the used one it was on Gunbroker. I have the Phone # to the shop if it's not still listed. I will go look for it and post it here.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=216683487

11. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    I bought the new one for $279. I can't shoot it now because I don't want to start a fire. Right now it's very dry here and the wind is really blowing. There is a huge forest fire not far from my house.I can see the smoke and I can smell smoke when I go outside. I'll wait for a better day to shoot.

12. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I think you made the best choice. Since you bought from a dealer new(at the going retail price), the dealer should be willing to use his FFL to send it US postal office should it ever need service. Although they factory doesn't seem to ask for proof of purchase when you take a gun into the factory, I have read on this forum they do ask for documentation when the guns are shipped in. Officially, the Lifetime Warranty follows the original retail purchaser, NOT the serial number. So now you are set. This little 380 is a dandy little defense tool that you will likely have for the rest of your life. They are most reliable and real easy to conceal and can be there just when you need them.

Although some folks point out that a P-3AT is less expensive than other brands, I am convinced after first hand experience with Diamondback, Karr, and Sig 238(copy of Colt Mustang). that the P-3AT is actually a better gun. The Ruger LCP is just a copy and might be as good for more money. The Ruger does have a nicer grip and manual slide lock which is nice but I still think the Kel Tec folks have really perfected the P-3AT and it is the best micro on the market that I know of.

Did you get a Blue or Parkerized finish??

13. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    I really didn't know until I got home but it's blued. It was also a matter of time and gas so I chose the one close by. I could have save around 50 or 60 dollars but would have gotten a used gun from a seller that I never would have seen again. I got a new one from a guy I see at least twice a month and has given me great deals in the past.

14. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Gary:
    Nothing wrong with blue finish. Just wipe with silicon cloth  when you use it and take it apart every two weeks to a month for quick cleaning and lubrication and you should be good forever. If you carry in a good holster, it will do very well indeed.

I really like this maker since his products a very good quality and price is VERY good. Pocket holsters are only $35 plue $2.50 postage
    Quality leather lasts much longer and protects the gun better than the nylon holsters. I had a Uncle Mikes which would shed particles of the lining on and into my gun. The leather is worth the modest price increase. Check out the options

http://www.rkbaholsters.com/Pocket Kel_Tec_P3AT_P32.htm

15. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    +1 on the rkba holster.  I've had two (dog ate the first one -- not a shred left).

16. garyd1961

garyd1961 Banned

Jan 3, 2011
    NC
    Thanks I will check it out.

17. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I have been using the standard version and had no idea they are such good chew toys! I am thinking of getting the ambidextrous model for the smaller size and /or the model with mag pouch.