Thinking bout getting a P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgodfrey, Mar 27, 2010.

1. dgodfrey

dgodfrey New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    My dealer just got in a new blue P-3at. The price is $259 plus Arkansas tax. Does that sound reasonable? Also, I've been reading a LOT of reveiws. Probably 60% good and 40% bad. I know this forum is made up of great members so I would like to here ya'lls thoughts on the little gun. I have a P11 and a PF9 but want something for pocket carry when I can't carry either one of the 9s. I've read a lot about jams. Do you guys have a lot of jams? Will the .380 stop a BG?

Thanks

d

2. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    i think that is a good price. i think most oeners who dont have problems dont post on how good the gun works. the jams i have had are usually my error. takes a little breaking on the gun and on the shooter. not being used to such a small and light weapon caused me to limp wrist. now i usually fire two mags when at the range then clean lube and ready for carry. yes a .380 has thr power to stop a fight. if i did not believe that i would not carry it.

3. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi D,
    Sounds like a good price. You are asking the faithful if they have faith, and well, we do. Like any thing made by mice or men you can have problems, but once you are comfy with the gun it is a great comfort to have in your pocket. I prefer using it as a bug, but there are many situation where it is my only gun, and I don't feel neked. Check out this thread:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269438701/6#6
    That is a p32 and it did the job. Remember the first rule of a gun fight. Have a gun. The vast majority of the time you don't need any gun. Many time that you need one, just having a gun in hand is all you need. If you are being attacked by 5 gun toting thugs you need to have a few friends with long guns with you. The p3 will cover that gap between no-gun and I-need-backup nicely.
    Finding ammo is hard now but should improve over the life of the gun. I'm hopeing, and I don't think I'm alone, that the ammo manufatures will catch on that there is a real demand for .380's and start making them in real volume.

4. David reportedly stopped a giant with a rock. Anecdotal evidence that a well placed round, no matter how diminutive, can stop a bad guy.

There are also other real world reports of mouse gun ammo being deployed successfully.

So how far down the scale as far as stopping power one decides to go is really a personal decision that should be based on ability to actually carry the gun and the ability to place a shot. It is not practical for me to carry my 12 gauge 870, so I usually carry a compact 1911. When the 1911 is a bit bulky for the situation, I have my 3AT on me.

As for reliability, with the 3AT it can be a crap shoot. I say go for it. Buy the gun and shoot it like you stole it. If it is reliable after 300-400 rounds, it is good to go. If you have problems, you may have to work through them.

I think the question you need to ask is, can I find/afford 300+ rounds of 380 to determine if the gun is reliable.

And lest someone think I am off base for suggesting 300-400 round break in, that is my personal opinion for ANY carry gun, not just a 3AT.

5. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Buy it! Don't let the ammo shortage discourage you even though it's pretty dismal right now. I've tried everything and can't get mine to jam. Even limpwristed on purpose and it still wouldn't jam.

6. justintendo

justintendo New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    ive had a few hundred thru my p3at and have had no ftf or fte...all with several different kinds of ammo.

7. ksokie

ksokie New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Sounds like a fair price to me also. Once you get used to carrying it in your pocket you won't leave home without it. If you decide to carry a bigger firearm somewhere else on your body the pocket gun will make a good New York reload.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yes, that is a fair price.  A few have paid a little less.  Many have paid considerably more.  

You got the order wrong.  The P3AT is an always gun that should have come before the 9s.  

No. My 2nd gen has never stumbled. The gun is a well proven platform. The newer PF9 is just reaching that level of reliability.

Yes, I do.  If 7 rounds of modern 380 SD ammo won't do the job, your number was up.  :D

9. dawger

dawger Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Sounds like a fair price, I love mine.

10. olemissmike

olemissmike Active Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I agree with TX. Its a fair price, at the most you might save $10 somewhere else. Break it in with FMJ ammo and then experiment with HP that will feed reliably. Many P3 owners here use Corbon DPX, Remington Golden Sabres, etc.

The .380 ammo shortage is getting much better as all ammo availability has. Don't let that stop you from buying a gun that you can carry ALL the time. IF you have problems with the pistol, KT service has an excellent reputation. Odds are that you won't have to use it.

One other thing, think about a laser. They really help small pistols hit what they are aimed at.

11. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I agree with all the previous posts! The P3AT is always in my pocket! I had a reliability prep done my GoldenLoki and have installed a Crimson Trace laser. Mine is absolutely dependable! I carry Corbon DPX and Hornady Critical Defense. Both work well in my pistol. I also have a .40 caliber Glock but I am not comfortable carrying it without a coat. I may be a little too worried about people knowing that I carry.

Craig

12. dgodfrey

dgodfrey New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I picked my p3at up today. See new thread for "back yard report"

13. Emack76

Emack76 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    These guys are right! :cool: