Thinking About Purchasing An SU-22

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Temporaryscars, Dec 29, 2009.

1. I was thinking about picking up an SU-22 so I can go plinking with my father, but this will be my first gun and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. I called a local gun shop to see if they had one in stock and as soon as I asked about it the guy on the phone said "those things are 90% plastic, not even worth $400. If you throw them in the air, they stay there." So now I'm a little discouraged. Are the SU-22s worth the extra cash? I'm hoping to find some answers as to the build quality.

2. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Not many guns these days are all metal... that's ridiculous :-?

Next, you can get them for under $400.

Just don't use WWB for the break-in...

3. WWB?

4. amaff

amaff New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    LMAO man, that jack@$$ must've really wanted the sale...

5. Yeah! It was completely weird. Oh well, they wanted over $400 for theirs, so I probably wouldn't end up ordering it there anyway...

6. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    WWB?[/quote]

Avoid WWB- Winchester White Box. You'll be fine with Wal-Mart's Federal .22LR ammo....

7. amaff

amaff New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah! It was completely weird. Oh well, they wanted over $400 for theirs, so I probably wouldn't end up ordering it there anyway...[/quote]
    Whereabouts do you call home? The local gun store here (Lawrenceville, GA) has one for $299 used in like new condition. It's taking all of my willpower not to buy it (got a few other things I want / need first).

8. Yeah! It was completely weird. Oh well, they wanted over $400 for theirs, so I probably wouldn't end up ordering it there anyway...[/quote]
    Whereabouts do you call home? The local gun store here (Lawrenceville, GA) has one for $299 used in like new condition. It's taking all of my willpower not to buy it (got a few other things I want / need first).[/quote]

Syracuse, NY. I called Dicks first and talked to the guy in the hunting department and he had never even heard of Kel Tec. I called Gander Mountain and they said they would order me one for $500. I was thinking of getting it at Bud's Gun Shop, but I have to go through that whole FFL thing, and I'm not really sure how to do that. It kind of drives me nuts how difficult it is to buy a .22.

9. brofro

brofro New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Yeah! It was completely weird. Oh well, they wanted over $400 for theirs, so I probably wouldn't end up ordering it there anyway...[/quote]
    Whereabouts do you call home? The local gun store here (Lawrenceville, GA) has one for $299 used in like new condition. It's taking all of my willpower not to buy it (got a few other things I want / need first).[/quote]

Syracuse, NY. I called Dicks first and talked to the guy in the hunting department and he had never even heard of Kel Tec. I called Gander Mountain and they said they would order me one for $500. I was thinking of getting it at Bud's Gun Shop, but I have to go through that whole FFL thing, and I'm not really sure how to do that. It kind of drives me nuts how difficult it is to buy a .22. [/quote]

Your best bet in the Syracuse area might be Tim's Guns in Elbridge. I purchased my SU-22 there two weeks ago for $425. They did not have it in stock, but it only took them about a week to get one for me. I also tried purchasing one earlier from Bud's Gun Shop since they had the lowest price I could find online, but they would not ship to a NY FFL since it included a magazine that held more then 10 rounds. I explained that they or my NY FFL could just keep the magazine, but Bud's still would not ship the SU-22 to NY. So I opted to pay more and went with Tim's Guns. They had no problem getting one and just kept the included magazine. I already had plenty of 10 round Black Dog magazines on hand and just wanted to get the SU-22.

10. Yeah! It was completely weird. Oh well, they wanted over $400 for theirs, so I probably wouldn't end up ordering it there anyway...[/quote]

Syracuse, NY. I called Dicks first and talked to the guy in the hunting department and he had never even heard of Kel Tec. I called Gander Mountain and they said they would order me one for $500. I was thinking of getting it at Bud's Gun Shop, but I have to go through that whole FFL thing, and I'm not really sure how to do that. It kind of drives me nuts how difficult it is to buy a .22. [/quote]

Your best bet in the Syracuse area might be Tim's Guns in Elbridge. I purchased my SU-22 there two weeks ago for $425. They did not have it in stock, but it only took them about a week to get one for me. I also tried purchasing one earlier from Bud's Gun Shop since they had the lowest price I could find online, but they would not ship to a NY FFL since it included a magazine that held more then 10 rounds. I explained that they or my NY FFL could just keep the magazine, but Bud's still would not ship the SU-22 to NY. So I opted to pay more and went with Tim's Guns. They had no problem getting one and just kept the included magazine. I already had plenty of 10 round Black Dog magazines on hand and just wanted to get the SU-22.
    [/quote]

Do you remember how much they charged?

11. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Syracuse NY? Hopefully, virtual-rjhauser will be dropping by this thread to lend you a little local help. He's da man.

As for your local gun store cluck.... Who wants a heavy .22 carbine? Light weight is a very good thing. Some dufus is clearly confusing heavy with reliable. They are NOT the same. I think the cluck wanted to sell you a Ruger 10/22 or maybe a Marlin or something they could buy for $100 and sell for $200.

If you have a decent FFL that will charge you $25 or less to do the transfer, buying guns online isn't difficult, barring problems with 27 round mags and New York's dumb gun laws.

The SU-22 can be ammo sensitive, especially during break-in. It's not a problem. Just buy a lot of cheap ammo that it likes. Pretty much anything from Federal is good to go. I had good luck with Blazer ($13 for a box of about 500, maybe 525?) about a year ago. Stay away from Remington Golden Bullet in the SU-22 or PLR-22. Bad juju.

I have a lot of guns and love them all, but I've shot the SU-22 more than any of the others this year. It's a very fun gun, particularly after you set it up the way you like it. It's a shame you live in NY. Ten rounds in the SU-22 just isn't right.

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    2 options.  tim evanchek @ tim's guns in elbridge, ny.  They will keep the magazine, and you will need to get a 10 round magazine to be NYS compliant.  the other option is dds ranch near buffalo, ny

Tim's Guns will order it.  DDS Ranch will have it in stock.

Info:

Tim's Guns
    1404 Route 5
    Elbridge, NY
    315 689 5301

DDS Ranch
    12120 Westwood Road
    Alden, NY
    716 937 7779

Hope it helps. Let me know if you wanna go shooting some time

13. Heh...funny you should mention that. I asked what he thought was a good gun and he said "Ruger 10/22. Look them up. They're cool."

Buffalo is a longgggggggggg way to drive for a gun. I'll try Tim's Guns. Am I really limited to a ten round mag though? That stinks!

14. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    i hate to say this, but before attempting to purchase a firearm, it would do you some good to research the laws surrounding it. Otherwise, you can end up in a world of hurt.

yes, NYS is limited to 10 rounds, unless it is for resale, or you are active LEO or military and get a letter from your CO.

or if you have an ample supply of black dog/cenier pre-ban magazines.

15. But it's only a .22! Are they afraid that I'll go on a squirrel killing spree? "Gentlemen, we can't afford to lose more than 10 squirrels just because some psycho gets fed up with their assaults against bird feeders! Limit the mags!"

Errr...anyway, so I can have these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151417164

16. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'm not an expert on commie state gun laws, but it is my understanding that no, the government officials that you guys elected will not allow you to own a 27 round magazine... not even in .22 LR. The auction doesn't specify the capacity, but I'm fairly sure that's a 27 round Black Dog mag.

My advice? Move to a free state.

17. brofro

brofro New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    But it's only a .22! Are they afraid that I'll go on a squirrel killing spree? "Gentlemen, we can't afford to lose more than 10 squirrels just because some psycho gets fed up with their assaults against bird feeders! Limit the mags!"

Errr...anyway, so I can have these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151417164
    [/quote]

As has been mentioned previously you will be limited to 10 round mags for the SU-22 in NYS. I am not aware of any preban Ciener-type .22LR magazines available that would work with the SU-22.

18. I'm not an expert on commie state gun laws, but it is my understanding that no, the government officials that you guys elected will not allow you to own a 27 round magazine... not even in .22 LR. The auction doesn't specify the capacity, but I'm fairly sure that's a 27 round Black Dog mag.

My advice? Move to a free state.
    [/quote]

That's a bit extreme.

Rjhauser, you must teach me, Obi-Wan. Show me the way.

19. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    ceiner all-steel magazines are pre-ban, they are about 70.00 each though

or you can get the 10 round magazines for 15.00 each

20. Is there a certain type of mag that I need or are they all the same?