Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used gen 1 Sub 2000 that is the Glock 17 version on gunbroker. I've been looking at this forum a fair amount while I'm waiting to get the gun in the mail and I was wondering if there are any things I should look for when I get the gun in my hands.

I know how to look for general wear and tear type stuff to look for that is universal to all used guns, but I guess I'm wondering if there are problems that can arise that are unique to the Sub 2000?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe cracked polymer in the receiver? Not really a S2K problem, but it could happen during shipping out of the previous owner dropped out.
If check out the areas around screwed to see if there are tool marks. If the previous owner did any modifications or work and didn't say anything about it if be a little mad and want to know what was done and why.

Again not any surviving to this fun, but just in general.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I know how to look for general wear and tear type stuff to look for that is universal to all used guns, but I guess I'm wondering if there are problems that can arise that are unique to the Sub 2000?
Just look for anything that doesn't look like normal wear on any used firearm. If not, shoot it. If you find a problem before or after shooting, ask here.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hinge wiggle maybe. When the gun is unfolded and locked if there's excessive play between the barrel and receiver check the locking block for any obvious cracks. If none theres a retainer nut that might have worked loose. Easy fix if that's the case. Good luck with your new to you subbie.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, this was all the kind of stuff I was looking for. I figured that there wouldn't be anything too big to look for other than common sense items, but I am totally new to these guns and I know some firearms can have quirks that take a trained eye to check for.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I did think of something. Sometimes the plastic feed ramp gets damaged or missing. Oh and the front sight on some subs come loose (they are glued on) and really tic you off trying to sight it in. Check it when the barrel gets hot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got it today and haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet, but so far the front sight seems to be on there pretty tight and the feed ramp looks pretty good. I think that the prior owner broke off the little brass locking pin though. The gun still unfolds, but it is really stiff and the brass pin is in there with no ring to pull it back out by. I'll have to try and gently pry it out with something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Scratch that on the brass pin. It's totally normal looking compared to some more pictures that I looked at. I didn't realize that there was a brass insert there, because it wasn't obvious in a lot of the pics I've seen. Mine does say "Friends of NRA" on both sides of the receiver though. Is that something that was done on them for just a few years?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to get the Friends of the NRA stamping as well as what the bolt looks like. All in all, the gun looks to be in pretty good shape, just a few scratches here and there. It definitely needs to be cleaned before I get to shooting it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did some googling and found out that the NRA logo was on a limited run of guns that were given to sponsors for donating $1250 at an event last year. I can't imagine there are too many of them out there, so that is kind of neat. I figured that the bolt wear was probably pretty normal, but I'm glad that I don't have to worry about possible headaches with breaking it in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I finally got a chance to shoot this gun yesterday and it was a blast. I put a full box of Blazer 124 gr through it with no problems. I didn't notice the recoil at all, but I definitely have a small bruise today from the toe of the stock. I did have to hold it quite high up on my shoulder to get a good sight picture. Does the stock extension help with that at all?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
So I finally got a chance to shoot this gun yesterday and it was a blast. I put a full box of Blazer 124 gr through it with no problems. I didn't notice the recoil at all, but I definitely have a small bruise today from the toe of the stock. I did have to hold it quite high up on my shoulder to get a good sight picture. Does the stock extension help with that at all?
Try leaning into the gun getting your nose close to the stock collar, centering the butt in the cup of your shoulder. The stock extension will help tremendously. Or slip on butt pad. Some members have made their own drop down padded butt stocks. Check out the picture thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll give that a shot next time. I definitely had my face squished down on the bolt tube quite a bit, but I may be able to play with where the butt is on my shoulder some more. I think I'll try to get an extension so I can play around with homemade recoil pads without permanently changing my rifle much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.