Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a P3AT last year and after a couple problems related to me not understanding how to take it apart, it proved to be very reliable until I bought new mags for it. That story is here .

So I took the P3AT with its new recoil spring(s) and firing pin spring to the range and ran a bunch of ammo through it without a hiccup.

"Great, this thing is working perfectly. I'll load it up and and it will be my carry gun again." I dropped the mag and racked the slide to make sure the gun was clear but there there was a round in the chamber and it stayed in the chamber. Hmmmmmm.

I pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger but there was no bang. I pulled the slide back and again and what I now believed to be just a case stayed put. Hmmmmmm, again.

Then I noticed that half the extractor spring was missing as well as the extractor. Yep, the front half of the extractor spring had broken clean off, it actually looks like it was cut.

So much for carrying it. At least for now.

I sent KelTec an email describing the issue and they responded the same day promising that parts would go out in the afternoon mail.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Aaarrrggghhh, I just read your first thread and feel your pain. Try to be patient and put it out of your mind for a day or two. Best of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The parts arrived from KelTec and I went to install them but found that the hex hole in the screw that retains the extractor spring was buggered beyond belief. First I tried cutting a slot in the screw head for a screwdriver but the screwdriver couldn't get enough purchase. Damn! Time to put it away because I was leaving on vacation the next day.

Back from vacation, I went to the hardware store and bought an EZ Out. I drilled a pilot hole in the screw head, applied the EZ Out, and "Bob's your uncle" the screw came out.

Interestingly the new screw is Torz which should be harder to bugger.

To make myself feel even more manly, I then took my washing machine apart and replaced the motor coupling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.