Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have to finally come to terms with the thought that my pf9 will never be the reliable firearm that I had hoped for (a sad day in circlehawk's world :( ). After 5 years of fighting issues with the extractor not performing its duties as it should, and I mean extractor, no limp wristing nonsense, I finally received the new and improved extractor this fall, as my girl decided to launch hers once again. Joy of all joys, she finally shot like a dream, so much so I decided to use her to qualify for cc just to see how she did. Well...much to my horror the barrel lug broke half way through :mad: (see attached pic for entertainment value).

I'm going to get her fixed, but I don't see any way that I'll ever trust her with my life. She seems to hate me a little too much.

:RantOff:

PS: at least she was hitting her marks at the end.

Attachments

·
Grand Poobah
2,265 Posts
I have a barrel to sell in the Trading Post unless you are the original owner then Keltec will take care of you.....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a barrel to sell in the Trading Post unless you are the original owner then Keltec will take care of you.....
Thanks for letting me know, fine sir. :D. I bought the gun new in 2012 so i'll be talkin to keltec...I'd still like to get her going, but need to use a different gun for carrying :(

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Dude...
I too had similar woes. Mine were first magazine related. Then the mag release crapped out. Further inciting doubt of the new magazines as well. Then the frame cracked. Back to the factory, new frame. Now mine performs. They reshaped my barrel's chamber, feed ramp area. Got all new guts, only the frame, slide and barrel were original. Installed a Northwoods trigger too.

Honestly I don't shoot the heck out it anymore. This all went down between 400 and 700 rnds.

I do break it out and practice my draw and empty all four mags I have for it; three rounds at a time. After that I pick up something else for and to practice fundamentals. I did this drill 4 times last year. In this mode I've seen none of my PF-9's former ills. My PF-9 is my go-to carry piece 70% of the time.

It took a while to forgive/get over my doubt.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you find out what went wrong with the barrel, like from Kel-Tec, please share. I'm interested in what would cause such a thing.
Will do, I'm curious as well.

It took a while to forgive/get over my doubt.
I understand that. When I do get her back, it'll take a fair amount of time before I'll feel comfortable with the reliability, but I'm hopeful. :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: :)

I just got my girl back today. As I didn't mail it off til early April, it took about two months all told to get her back for those wondering about the turn around time. I'll apologize in advance to topowelll, but I forgot to ask what they thought caused it. If I get some time I'll try to call and talk to someone.

All told they said that they replaced the slide assembly. Furthermore, as I hear they often do, they polished the feed ramp on the new barrel. All that it cost me was the few dollars it took to mail in the slide assembly (they didn't need the frame), so they're still good at honoring their warranty.

When I get time to get to the range I'll post a report.

Reactions: HatRon56

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took her to the range yesterday and all went well. I ran at least one mag each of blazer brass, Remington umc, circlehawk special reloads, and hornady critical defense. No feed or extraction issues and nothing broke. The only problem I experienced was an issue with the operator aiming improperly, and that one's a lost cause.

Reactions: topowelll

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Glad to hear it! Appears you are good to go.

Reactions: circlehawk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well heck. I took the pf9 to the range again for the first time since June, and on my fourth and final magazine, the takedown pin broke. I was even actually hitting my targets with her like I almost knew what I was doing...unlike my last trip. :oops:

The mother ship immediately mailed me a new one (free of charge), so she's already been repaired and mother still loves us. The individual that I talked to told me that they had a heat treat problem with those pins and suspects that my pistol was old enough to have one of those in it. Which brings me to Topowell...

Sorry buddy, :wall: I forgot to ask the nice man what could have caused the barrel breakage while I had him on the phone. If I were a betting man, I might be inclined to believe that, if they were having heat treat problems with with the pins around that time period, they may have been having similar issues across the board. You just can't trust old men to remember anything.

In summary...I now officially have an entirely new top end. So here's to better days. :D

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Hawk,
Mine went thru a mag release, one non functional mag extension ( no idea why, but that mag had a whole list of crap it did...removed extension and it has behaved ever since), then the frame cracked. Got the mothership fluff and buff and my feed ramp looked totally different (no pictures before and after) And then did the northwood's trigger job. I believe my round count is in the 1100 range? give or take a 50 box of 9mm.
Mine now, just performs. Groups nice. Eats 4-6 mags before my hands starts to wonder if I'm going to keep this up all day. I try and shoot it every other range trip to stay fresh on the little beast. I have to admit it has fallen to my number three carry piece. My new Springfield range officer champion in 9mm is the first IWB carry gun these days. But the PF9 goes out once a week depending on wardrobe.
There's one of those guys on youtube that falls into the obnoxious category but still has good info. If you don't break your stuff, you're not running it. Running it till it breaks and maintaining it like keltec does, I feel is better than a lot of other options. A working, functioning system that requires some periodic maintenance due to a healthy practice schedule? ...made me more confident once all my bugs were worked out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There's one of those guys on youtube that falls into the obnoxious category but still has good info. If you don't break your stuff, you're not running it.. Running it till it breaks and maintaining it like keltec does, I feel is better than a lot of other options. A working, functioning system that requires some periodic maintenance due to a healthy practice schedule? ...made me more confident once all my bugs were worked out.
The central point I got out of this post. During my very infrequent range sessions, I make very sure to run my P32 through one or two magazines of ammo. That way, I maintain some baseline of proficiency with it. Admittedly, a P32 is a handgun of last resort, but if it's a "danger close" situation, I want to be able to stop the threat right away. I need to run it to be able to see that it can do the job.

I know that this is a PF9-related thread, but the premise applies to all of our self-defense firearms.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Never had any real issues with the mechanicals on mine. My wife cannot ever get it to cycle which I blame on limp wristing. I had one mis-feed since new (and that was right after they came out). I keep it because selling it wouldn't get much money for it. Might use it in a trade for something else but that is all.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm getting the impression that they were having some problems around the time mine was built (they told me that mine had an issue with extractors and had heat treat issues as well during different conversations). I'll also blame myself for not actively working out the issues, as I normally would, due to my having other pistols that filled my needs, as well as both life and work always getting in the way of my actually getting out to shoot. That being said, game on.

Since she now has an entirely new top end, and I'm still on strike from work (don't ask :(), I no longer have excuses. I like the size of the pf9 for casual summer carry and I like challenges. My new years' resolution is to give the girl the attention she deserves and I've never failed on a resolution yet. :cool:

This message has been approved by circlehawk.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Keltec seems to want to run the so close to the edge that the Pf9 just cant handle it like the P11. I wish they would put out a PF380 because the pisols really do handle nicely. They just dont hold up with 9mm. Kind of similar to the P40 which had slide cracking, frame cracking, barrel cracking etc. etc. Just too much power for the design. P11, P32, and P3at seem to handle it all right but the PF9 needs either pretty substantial gen 2 redesign or a reduced caliber IMO. I would jump on one in 380 as it would be a nice comfortable shooter.

Maybe even get radical and throw out a 32naa or makarov barreled versions.

·
Grand Poobah
2,265 Posts
if they would put the Pf9 trigger in the P-11 I would go back to carrying a P-11.

·
Registered
67 Posts
just remembered if the Pf9 barrel works in the P11 as was stated here.....A PF9 in 380 might also allow a P11 to be converted as well.

Anyone ever contacted keltec or heard anything on a possible PF380 similar to what ruger did?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone ever contacted keltec or heard anything on a possible PF380 similar to what ruger did?
I never have. A pf380 would be a good way to maximize the usage of the parts they have on hand, but I personally would never want one. I already get riled when I have to pick out the .380 brass that somehow gets mixed in with my 9mm, so imagine how I would get if I actually owned one. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.