The worst thing you ever tasted

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by fez, Aug 20, 2017.

1. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    For me, hands down, is castor oil. I am sweating and getting physically sick just writing this. My mother would give me a tablespoon every morning. What a way to start the day. I dreaded mornings for a long time. Maybe I would have better tolerated it as an adult but it was horrible to me as a kid. I did krap great though. What's your tasty tidbit? LOL.

2. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    Liver - any.
    If I'm ever accidentally poisoned, forget the syrup of ipecac, a piece of this stuff the size of a quarter is guaranteed to do the trick vomit-2113.gif
    I even have to strain thru giblet gravy:rolleyes:. It's like kryptonite.

Jake likes this.

3. wizard92

wizard92 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida
    Kæstur hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈhauːkʰardl̥]) (Icelandic for "fermented shark") is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark (Somniosus microcephalus) or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months. Actually tried this years ago, and it has stuck with me all these years. Imagine eating a chunk of ammonia flavored salt from the bottom of your toilet. Always prided myself on trying anything at least once. Once in this case.
    Blake, I hated liver as a kid, now love liver and onions!

Gary

huffy49 and phideaux like this.
  4. MarkCO

MarkCO Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Colorado
    Beef and Blue Cheese casserole.

Wife made it about 16 years ago. It stunk, but I took a bite. She looked at me and I literally tried to hold it in my mouth without it touching my tongue. She took a bite, spit it out and ordered pizza. Dog would not even eat it and that dog ate onions and lettuce.

850sub likes this.
  5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Years ago, my dad used to make his own sauerkraut. Some old family recipe, and he aged it for months in a huge stoneware crock sealed with wax. He then kept it in a metal shed in the back yard all summer long. Think about that, how hot does it get in that shed?

It was bad, real bad. BUT...one year something went wrong and it spoiled somehow. Spoiled or turned into something terribly poisonous. I hated the stuff anyways, so just to get it over with I had a small helping with dinner that night...roast beef. Everything in the house smelled wrong, including dinner. But I ate what I put on my plate, had to actually choke it down.

I was deathly sick for days, along with everyone else in the family. Our family doctor actually made a house call, first and only time I remember that happening. Dad never did make sauerkraut again. My stomach churns just thinking about the taste.

6. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    For me, it's a toss-up between green peas, asparagus, and string beans. (I absolutely HATE veggies - can you tell? :D ) Put those things right under my nose and, no exaggeration, it starts to trigger my gag reflex.

I only smelled sardines once, never actually tasted 'em, and even that about made me upchuck.

7. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    Having been a Chef, running kitchens for the last 15 years; there have been so many things young cooks have messed up, and for the sake of salvaging product you wind up tasting them to see what if anything can be done...
    I will have to say the "ashtray" flavor profile of a burned soup or batch of say beans or something is pretty high up there. And then there's is always the culinary school kid who knows everything and absolutely nothing that comes up to you and says "chef, I made this today, what else does it need?" and you taste it only to have your mouth just trashed for the next several hours because they saw some thing on the food network...
    This past week one of my cooks found an expired container of curried corn chowder and almost served it. It took a double bourbon 10 hours later to wash that outa my mouth.

8. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Lima beans, butter beans, cream style corn. My most memorable spanking came about from cream style corn at about age 6. I remember it as though it was yesterday. Dad said eat the corn or get a spanking. I took the spanking, and still had to eat the corn.

darkwriter77 and haugrdr like this.
  9. dracer

dracer Well-Known Member

luteafish (spelling ) the worst thing I ever tasted

10. Electroshot

Electroshot Well-Known Member Supporter

May 9, 2012
    I can generally deal with a wide variety of foods, but there are few that I have trouble with: 1) Buttermilk - I can't watch anyone drink it, watch it being poured or think too long about it without my stomach lurching, 2) Lima beans - They don't actually taste that bad but the texture just isn't something I want to put in my mouth (and there is no way they could ever actually go down all the way).

I have had a few things that almost cured me of eating for a bit, they involved investigating some fires. First one was opening a refrigerator in a restaurant to get the model and serial number, not thinking too much about how long it had set without power; instant retch! Second one was a restaurant explosion that had set in the summer sun for June and most of July. The basement required hip-waders to get through the sea of maggots that were about 2 feet deep in many areas (the maggots were eating the large storage of beans and rice that had spilled all over the basement during the suppression efforts of the FD). The smell, ... well..., it stays with you for for a very very very long time. The last was a bad can of tuna that when I opened it showed all of the colors of the rainbow in fuzzy pastels. I actually couldn't eat anything for about a day due to the smell that I couldn't get out of the house that no amount of Lysol could cure.

850sub likes this.
  11. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    My dad tried to make wine once. It was one of those "Try this at Home!" kits back in the 70's. But I think the grapes were supposed to ferment, not rot.

850sub likes this.
  12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Never quite warmed up to calimari although it does make good fish bait.

haugrdr likes this.
  13. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    The Lutefisk Lament:

jimboksg likes this.
  14. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    What?! I love that stuff!

huffy49 likes this.
  15. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    The first time I tried calamari (at Olive Garden), it didn't have much flavor at all. However, the shape, taste, smell, and texture of it for some reason made me think it was latex rubber hose that had been chopped into slices, breaded, and fried. In fact, I'm still not entirely sure someone didn't serve me sliced rubber hose ... or perhaps it was sliced up surgical glove fingers. I dunno... :eek:

Dunno if the "worst thing I've ever drank" requires its own thread or not, but the worst-tasting thing I've ever imbibed was a horrific little-bit-of-everything-under-the-cabinet drink that my girlfriend put together for me and made me drink for losing a bet on the Rhonda Rousey "comeback" fight - including butterscotch, blackberry schnapps, vodka, corn whiskey, sweet vermouth (BARF), melon liqueur, warm beer, and I forget what else. It looked like rancid sewage water, and I imagine the flavor wasn't far off from it, either.

[​IMG]

16. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Gefilte fish is pretty far up the list of 'worst thing I ever tasted'. A former co-worker is Jewish and she wanted me to try it one day. I told her, "Thank you for letting me try it and please don't ever ask me to try it, again."

Even worse, however, is a drink at the World of Coca Cola in Atlanta. They have a room where you can sample a huge variety of drinks that the Coca Cola company makes and sells all over the world - many of which are not available anywhere else in the U.S. I remember one of my favorites was a Mandarin Orange drink they sold in Korea. The worst was a European one (Italy, I think) that one or two people working in different parts of the museum actually warned us about as we went through. It is called 'Beverly'. In the country or countries where it is sold, this stuff is intended as an apertif. In Europe, apertifs and digestivs are often kind of bitter, etc. and are intended to help aid digestion, etc. Well, to me this stuff literally tasted like I was drinking a cup of strained vomit. It was horrible.

This is what the World of Coca-Cola website has to say about it:

Yeah, distinctive is one way to describe it. Of course, even though people tell you that it tastes bad you have to try it for yourself just to see. Funny thing is that it is obviously popular in its market or it wouldn't still be on the market after so many years. I do know that soda and bitters can settle the stomach - even an upset stomach - but, while soda and bitters isn't exactly delicious it isn't nearly as bad as that stuff - not even remotely close.

EDIT: From what I am finding it looks like Beverly might have been discontinued in 2009. I don't know why they would mention it as one of the beverages available to try on the World of Coke website if that is the case. Either way, that is still forty years that it was on the market.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  17. Gooman18

Gooman18 Member

Feb 22, 2017
    A 'rotten egg' Jelly Belly jelly bean from that damn BeanBoozled game (Google it). Thought it'd be a good idea to play at work with some buddies. Haven't had a jelly bean since.

850sub likes this.
  18. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Went to one of our Guard units to inspect food service equipment Opened a food container that contained shrimp. This was two months after annual training. I gave the unit an unsatisfactory grade that inspection.

jimboksg and 850sub like this.
  19. bbqncigars

bbqncigars Member

Dec 30, 2016
    The worst was a bottle of Belgian "Rauchbier" that was at a tasting in Ann Arbor some thirty years ago. No one, including thirsty college students, succeeded in swallowing any. The two that managed to swallow some puked immediately. There was some speculation that the beer's name was poorly translated from 'Roach Beer'. ;-)

20. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Ha! You probably know this but Rauch is German for 'smoke' so Rauchbier means 'smoked beer'. I have actually had a few imported (from Germany) Rauchbiers that I really liked. Those had a nice, mellow smoky flavor that I thought would go great with barbecue. I also recently had a Rauchbier from a local microbrewery. This microbrewery makes some really good beers but their Rauchbier was not so good despite the fact that the owner is German (it tasted just about like what I imagine drinking beer from a used ashtray would taste like.)

waterwalker likes this.