The ultimate "fluff & buff"

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tomwalshco, Aug 9, 2010.

1. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Had a bad house fire in Apr. Just about a total loss. Had 7 handguns in a locked closet and stored in those cheesy tupperware drawer things. A P3AT was one of them. After they let me in, I dug around through the rubble and ash and found all the guns. Clawed through there with a garden fork.

The P3At was in the worst shape. Lots of rust and tarnish and it looked like the firemen had whacked it a couple of times with an ax. Thought it would never fire again, so it was the last gun I tried to resurrect.

I'm happy to say after all my buffing, fluffing, polishing, sanding and de-greasing every part, it ran like a champ today at the range. Even fired off some Herters steel casing crap I had lying around. (my Kahr 380 chokes on those) Not a single hiccup. Buffalo Bore +P, too. Very happy with the accuracy and reliability.

My feed ramp is not that pretty, but I didn't want to take a bunch of metal off, either. But it feed fine.

Pics...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mr_camera_man

mr_camera_man New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Good work! Did the grip survive the fire in that condition, or is that a replacement? Are you going to send it off to Jack Fuselier for plating?

3. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    All original. I like it just the way it is. It's definitely got character. Maybe I'll enter her in the Ugliest Gun contest, but she shoots like a queen.

4. I agree with the sentiment! I have a few old guns that others have suggested I get re-done, but they have character and I like em.

5. mr_camera_man

mr_camera_man New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I agree with the sentiment!  I have a few old guns that others have suggested I get re-done, but they have character and I like em.  
    [/quote]

I can usually agree with this sentiment, but aren't you concerned about rust caused by sweat? Or do you not carry this gun very often?

6. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi

I think you did a great job cleaning up your P3AT. You might want to refinish your P3AT if you want to take it that extra mile by parkerizing it. The parkerized finish does well with pistols with minor pitting, marks, etc., and is more rust resistant than blueing, and non-reflective.

Best Wishes: :)

7. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
  8. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Very nice. Glad it (and your others) weren't damaged.

wyo-man

9. marko_pf9

marko_pf9 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    wow. i wouldnt change a thing also. maybe enter a "toughest gun" contest. lookout Samsonite! (remember the old commercials?) :p

10. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Recently bought a bunch of cheap Herters steel lacquer coated .380 to run through my Kahr P380 at the range. Choked like a dog. Threw it in Mrs. Ugly and she shot it like match grade ammo....

To remake a line from the movie Major League - "You run like Hayes, but you look like shite"

[​IMG]

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The little P3AT is a real workhorse of a gun. I can honestly say mine is the only semi-auto gun I've owned that has never jammed or suffered a single failure---EVER. The so-called gun gurus may scoff at the little KT like the morons they are but those of us who own these little gems get the last laugh every single time. ::) ::)

I think if it were my gun, I too would leave it as is. That way when people roll their eyes at you at the range, you can make their eyes bug out by out shooting them with your little "piece of crap Kel-Tec." I know I would. ;D ;D ;D ;D