Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
One hand on the hand guard and another in between the pistol grip and mag well? Pull the hand guard towards you while pushing with the other hand, while the RFB is at a 45 degree angle, in order to hit someone in the face/neck/whatever with the top part of the top cover.

Wouldnt it just be easier to transition to your side arm, or carry a dedicated knife in case the zombies come and youre out of ammo?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep in mind that I have only seen pictures of the firearm in question and have not handled it. BUT as a potential FUTURE owner of this rifle, in the spirit of the thread, I don't think that I would feel comfortable using this precision firearm as a club. I would need a way to mount a bayonet or cool, sharp muzzle device. Is there some sort of adapter to mount one? Is the polymer strong enough to BASH someone with? Just curious, as I would NOT bash anyone with my PLR. Just sayin'. thanks in advance for not raking me over the coals on this... ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is a bayonet mount available, although I dont think they recommend you have one attached while firing the weapon. The KT branded folding bayonet has been out of stock for god knows how long, although others should fit.

I wouldnt bash anyone with the plastic part of the gun, or the butt (half of which is attached to a plastic part). I suppose you could bash someone with the barrel, optic rail or top cover if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why?, If you have run out of ammo.....you screwed the pooch. Sometimes a strategic retrograde for resupply is in order. Next time you will increase your basic load of ammo to fit the situation. RFB=Club, NO IMHO :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all who have not contributed anything useful in regards to the sole purpose of this thread: Thanks for nothing. I ain't gonna argue about it.

I have to agree that the top cover is the easiest part of the gun to bash with but it also seems like the least reinforced. even though the butt of the gun supported half by plastic, the RFB seems to have all it's strength longitudinally. The end of the barrel is tempting to poke with but other than being really painful how disabling would that be as an attack? It's unfortunate the magwell isn't a good choice (or is it?) as a surface to strike with, because you can get a lot of leverage swinging the weapon that way.

Does anyone know of anything they can replace the flash hider with that's really pointy?

·
Registered
12 Posts

This one seems to be a combination muzzle-brake and melee tip. However, there are other flash-hiders that also have spikes that are much less aggressive.

My concern with this particular model is that the individual tines may become bent... especially into the path of the bullet.

Here is a design by TROMIX... also a muzzle-brake. The tines/spikes seem much less likely to bend. Probably not horribly debilitating to be struck with it, but not the same as having a butterfly brush your cheek either.

I've seen some others online with little serated spikes somewhere between the two models pictured above. I've also seen some machined into a silencer, but that seems like a bad idea to me, since the torque on the threads would be severe in a 30 caliber-length can.

With the particular optics that I've got on my RFB (a 3-9x30 Nikon), I wouldn't want to use the top part of the weapon. I'm not nuts about using the buttstock in a smash either - even though gripping the area between the magwell and pistol grip seems awesome - because I feel like you're just aching to put undo sheering stress on the two captured pins that you have to remove to field stip the weapon.

Here is a "pistol bayonet knife" that attaches to the rail of most handguns. I suppose this could be attached to the quad-rail of the RFB. I have never handled one of these, and I wonder how well the mounting system works. I'd be concerned that a hard stab could twist it free... might only be good for one use. Still, I suppose its an option.

There aren't that many good surfaces on this weapon to use. In normal rifles, the whole of the butt-stock is an inert, non-functioning portion of the firearm, and relatively suitable for melee (for the most part). In normal rifles, the action is forward of the grip, and this necessarily means that the rifle barrel sticks out much more... it facilitates putting something sharp-and-pointy in an adversary's soft parts because s/he is an arm length from you when you have the weapon shouldered. Those features aren't really there in a bullpup.

Still... rather than being a nay-sayer who doesn't contribute to the thread (again).... there are a few ideas.

·
Registered
408 Posts
having walked around with a RFB for 30 minutes, at 8+ lbs unloaded, yeah, it's a big piggy smashing stick :)

probably shoots well enough within 600 yds i don't care for being pro-active by running :>

dealer got a bunch in at $1300. no greens. want GREEN.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is a design by TROMIX... also a muzzle-brake. The tines/spikes seem much less likely to bend. Probably not horribly debilitating to be struck with it, but not the same as having a butterfly brush your cheek either.

TRUST ME the Tromix brake can be VERY debilitating...I found out the hard way early Last year . An AK74 I had just finished modifying for a friend was laying on my workbench and was inadvertently bumped off when a friend grabbed for a wrench on the table...

Long story short ; 7 pound rifle (unloaded of course) came crashing down Muzzle device first onto my right foot smack dab square center on the top of it.
A sneaker was ruined, blood was shed , skin busted up , a couple of joints dislocated slight "powder" fracturing of bone and a LOT of profanities were yelled in a manner that possibly could be heard in the next state.

I still have a small scar from the stitching and waked with a funny limp for about a month after that.

Now to put things into perspective, that was the brake on a 7 pound fairly well weight distributed Carbine falling from about 3 or so feet up onto my foot putting me down (PAINFULLY) for quite a while .

Now figure in the Kel Tec RFB weighs in at about 8 pounds "dry" and without any modifications optics add-ons tacticool dodads or what have you , has all the weight centered in a MUCH smaller area of mass and if actually swung by a belligerent individual with the goal of escape/survival in mind you can QUICKLY deduce that it's going to be "debilitating" if the strike is aimed anywhere near a vital or at least vulnerable spot on the human body.

This will most likely be achieved with LITTLE risk to damaging said firearm , and much less likelihood of potential damage to the muzzle device.

To sum it up : Wherever you hit someone with that you are most likely to ensure they aren't having a "good day" in the slightest. If it connects it's going to HURT ...a LOT...

I think I would much rather just be shot and have it over with than face down someone at least as angry ,determined to survive and strong as me using that as a melee weapon in a close quarters life or death adrenaline pumping white knuckled "get me the #[email protected]#$ outah here!" fight. Heck I'd possibly even consider 12 rounds with a younger in his prime Mike Tyson before that as a substitute. ( at least I could potentially survive that!)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good stuff.

I'm not trying to discredit the trauma the tromix can provide. Also, 12 rounds with Tyson would probably not be life-threatening as I doubt he could deal enough damage to kill you in the 45 seconds it would take him to knock you out (giving you some credit here with the time figure).

I'm just surprised I'm the first person who's ever wanted to impale something living with a rifle? Rifle rounds are L-O-U-D. Without ear-pro you are 100% guaranteed to permanently damage your hearing if you pull that trigger. Is there no way I can just grab my rifle and then decide whether I need to shoot or can I merely stab with it? Must be a pipe dream. A particularly gnarly muzzle device is also intimidating I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts