the new hornady critical defense ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ralpho1, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ralpho1

ralpho1 New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Has any one gotten any yet? Mine came today via Natchez and UPS. Will head to the range this eve and try a few mags. Looks like nice stuff. But, then i've been partial to Hornady.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

3. diesel350

diesel350 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    i like speer gold dot

4. harleyboy

harleyboy New Member

May 25, 2008
    How much are they asking for this new ammo?
    If it's not to much more than the rest its worth a try

5. ralpho1

ralpho1 New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Just got back from the range, and it seems to work as advertised, in terms of feeding etc. Was just able to get a couple of mags off before closing. Put about 50 rounds through it all together with different types of ammo, as always, no problems. This weekend we will get a more comprehensive picture, as we will go to my buddies property and I will bring the denim from old jeans, and he will supply the deer meat that was spoiled from some hair. It's as scientific as it gets around here. They say controled optimum expansion is the goal. So we shall see.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    TESTS!!!!! :cool: Excellent!!!!!

Measurements, temps, etc. PLEASE!!??

Do you plan to use a control or calibration round, is so what?

P.S. Sorry to hear about the venison.

7. ralpho1

ralpho1 New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I am trying to secure someone with excellent photographic skills for a worthy representation, so far no luck. After all, it is Minnesota, and it is winter.

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    LOL ... photographs not withstanding a stick and a ruler would probably be adequate.

If you do get some photos remember to post just the links, when people pass out at the keyboard they tend to post things like...

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
  10. ralpho1

ralpho1 New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    The testing was held today, and the camera captured some images, but you couldn't tell if it was bullet hitting a piece of deer meat, or someone was getting their hair done. I will attempt to enumerate.

We set up a small area complete with plywood backstop, put the meat, an 8 inch roast, in front of it, whereupon we placed the severed leg from a pair of Levi's (doubled) in front of that, to approximate the FBI protocol. First round from about 15 ft was anticlimactic, as I missed the target. Weapon and ammo function however, was perfect, . Second round hit home, and we went forward to examine. The Levi material had a neat hole through all layers, the bullet travelled through the roast and came to rest lightly in the plywood. It was a perfect opening, the petals were even, and just small bits of whatever proprietery element they use in the nose cone remained. Wound channel in the meat was consistent, approx 2 and half in. diameter. Expended the remainder of the mag, and the meat was almost unrecognizable.The ammo ran smooth as silk. Recoil approximates the Hornady XTP round, which I have been using. So ends the scientific rendering of this ammo. Oh yeah, I forgot the temps etc. suffice it to say it was cold. I will carry this ammo.

11. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Cool!

I don't know that temp matters really so long as the meat wasn't frozen, I had just come from the silencer forum reading some reviews there and temp is in the list of what matters for sound travel.

All the way through a 8" roast and partially into a piece of plywood sounds pretty good to me.

What's the best price you've seen for this ammo so far?

12. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The video was very interesting. I am really interested to see how this ammo performs in the P-3AT and P-11/PF-9 in some sort of independent gelatin testing. I also want to see how well it does with a thinner clothing barrier.

Good link - thanks. :cool:

13. ralpho1

ralpho1 New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I got it from Natchez for, I think, 18 bucks. Seems to be in the ballpark for 25 rounds of SD

14. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    If it really will do what it says in the video, it might be the top ammo choice for the P-3AT.  Those JHPs looked fully expanded and were penetrating 10+".  Hornady is an outstanding company and I have little doubt the ammo will perform as advertised.

15. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Ralpho,
    Thanks for the time and effort you put into the testing. Doubloon was right, I have been waiting for the availability for almost 2 months now. It looks like Hornady did a good job with the cartridge and it will be interesting to see how it performs against the Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. I bet that no other brand will come close to it in 380.

16. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The CorBon DPX and Remington Golden Saber seem to be the top of the heap right now, along with (perhaps) the Buffalo Bore Gold Dot.

Four way calibrated gel test! BTW, who wears four layers of denim anyway? COM? Absurd protocol IMO. Down is good, as well as a t-shirt test.

17. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Its back ordered at Midway, any one know any other vendors online....Mike

18. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

I saw that episode of G&A TV and the .380 test gun was an LCP ;)

19. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Which means we pretty much know how it will perform. I guess what I was hinting at was having somebody independent test it, preferably in a P-3AT, not the Ruger-built clone.

20. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008