Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one gotten any yet? Mine came today via Natchez and UPS. Will head to the range this eve and try a few mags. Looks like nice stuff. But, then i've been partial to Hornady.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the range, and it seems to work as advertised, in terms of feeding etc. Was just able to get a couple of mags off before closing. Put about 50 rounds through it all together with different types of ammo, as always, no problems. This weekend we will get a more comprehensive picture, as we will go to my buddies property and I will bring the denim from old jeans, and he will supply the deer meat that was spoiled from some hair. It's as scientific as it gets around here. They say controled optimum expansion is the goal. So we shall see.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
LOL ... photographs not withstanding a stick and a ruler would probably be adequate.

If you do get some photos remember to post just the links, when people pass out at the keyboard they tend to post things like...

Great post ralpho, glad you took the time to do this, the statistics are great. Oh look there's some pictures.

Wow I never knew there would be so much m,n xmc nvkdx cx,m v,x vn

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The testing was held today, and the camera captured some images, but you couldn't tell if it was bullet hitting a piece of deer meat, or someone was getting their hair done. I will attempt to enumerate.

We set up a small area complete with plywood backstop, put the meat, an 8 inch roast, in front of it, whereupon we placed the severed leg from a pair of Levi's (doubled) in front of that, to approximate the FBI protocol. First round from about 15 ft was anticlimactic, as I missed the target. Weapon and ammo function however, was perfect, . Second round hit home, and we went forward to examine. The Levi material had a neat hole through all layers, the bullet travelled through the roast and came to rest lightly in the plywood. It was a perfect opening, the petals were even, and just small bits of whatever proprietery element they use in the nose cone remained. Wound channel in the meat was consistent, approx 2 and half in. diameter. Expended the remainder of the mag, and the meat was almost unrecognizable.The ammo ran smooth as silk. Recoil approximates the Hornady XTP round, which I have been using. So ends the scientific rendering of this ammo. Oh yeah, I forgot the temps etc. suffice it to say it was cold. I will carry this ammo.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Cool!

I don't know that temp matters really so long as the meat wasn't frozen, I had just come from the silencer forum reading some reviews there and temp is in the list of what matters for sound travel.

All the way through a 8" roast and partially into a piece of plywood sounds pretty good to me.

What's the best price you've seen for this ammo so far?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
The video was very interesting. I am really interested to see how this ammo performs in the P-3AT and P-11/PF-9 in some sort of independent gelatin testing. I also want to see how well it does with a thinner clothing barrier.

Good link - thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
If it really will do what it says in the video, it might be the top ammo choice for the P-3AT.  Those JHPs looked fully expanded and were penetrating 10+".  Hornady is an outstanding company and I have little doubt the ammo will perform as advertised.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ralpho,
Thanks for the time and effort you put into the testing. Doubloon was right, I have been waiting for the availability for almost 2 months now. It looks like Hornady did a good job with the cartridge and it will be interesting to see how it performs against the Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. I bet that no other brand will come close to it in 380.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
The CorBon DPX and Remington Golden Saber seem to be the top of the heap right now, along with (perhaps) the Buffalo Bore Gold Dot.

Four way calibrated gel test! BTW, who wears four layers of denim anyway? COM? Absurd protocol IMO. Down is good, as well as a t-shirt test.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
pocketgun said:
The video was very interesting.  I am really interested to see how this ammo performs in the P-3AT  

I saw that episode of G&A TV and the .380 test gun was an LCP ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.