Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to Oregon days before my 21 birthday with my brother and stopped at a gun shop the he bought his ruger p 22 from. Since California has gun laws out the ass he said he would sign for a gun up here so i could have my first handgun for my birthday. He sold me on a brand i had no clue about at the time with a back story on kel tec and a lot of bull. Turns out I love the p11 but just wondering if it was the right choice for my first hand gun?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
If you are a resident of Cali and your brother bought you a gun, which you are taking back to California.
Is this NOT a violation of some laws somewhere?
Federal and Cali?
If you are going to live in Cali, you should acquire a gun the legal way.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
A small, light weight, high powered handgun is probably not a very good choice as a first handgun for anyone. To use a handgun effectively, it is far better to first learn such things as technique, trigger control, sight alignment, and a host of other things. Far better for this purpose is a good .22 pistol, or at least a service sized 9mm where the size and weight help control. While it is possible to learn to shoot with something like the P-11, more likely the recoil and blast could lead to early flinching problems, and the like. JMHO

Jim R

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Let me clarify that.
No matter where you live, you should acquire guns the legal way, according to your state laws and federal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Let me clarify that.
No matter where you live, you should acquire guns the legal way, according to your state laws and federal.
Yup. But besides that, I think the P11 might be a bit much for a new shooter.

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
322 Posts
there's always the twisted industries .22lr conversion kit??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Isn't that still in beta testing? Otherwise, I'd like one for myself.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Just wondering, can California stop a resident from from buying a gun in another state where such purchase is legal? I can understand(not really) not allowing a California banned gun from intering the state but how can Cali regulate commerce in another state.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
California may or may not regulate it....but the Feds do. Handgun purchases have to be in the state you live in...or through an FFL in your state. The ATF gets peeved when this isn't followed. :eek:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Just wondering, can California stop a resident from from buying a gun in another state where such purchase is legal? I can understand(not really) not allowing a California banned gun from intering the state but how can Cali regulate commerce in another state.
A resident of one state can not buy a handgun in another state without going through an FFL in his state, that's Federal law.
Furthermore, California can and does ban certain guns from in the state.
California is also a gun registration state for handguns.

Don't think California would smile too kindly on someone having their brother buy them a fire-arm in the next state over and not registering it, eh?
Especially if he don't go through an FFL(which he would have too to bring it legally into California, if it was a fire-arm approved by Cali), for which he'd have to end up dealing with California laws anyway.

So yes, California can and will stop someone from doing what the poster just stated.
Hell, the feds in California might take a bit of interest in helping California stop it.

On a side note, the original poster was not 21, was not in his state of Residency and was not legal to own a handgun in the state of California. His brother buying him a handgun, I do believe, would be a straw purchase, if he allowed his brother to go back to California without setting up the proper transfers to a California FFL..

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Any time you deal with something that crosses state lines, it becomes a Federal issue. I'd check the ATF rules on that sort of thing first and then look at whatever laws (absurd and draconian as they may be) California has pertaining to bringing in guns from out-of-state, even those that are on their famous "guns we don't think are totally evil" list.

That said, I agree with those above that the P11 may not be an ideal first pistol. Given, it has a very simple manual of arms for a semi-auto, but the snappy recoil, long n' heavy trigger, and small grip size may make for a steep learning curve. I'd work up to it, either with the above suggestions of a .22 LR pistol and/or a full-size / service-size 9mm.

A good option if you want both the P11 and something easy to learn upon would be to get a 9mm that operates similarly but has more weight (reduces recoil) and a bigger grip so you can get your shooting fundamentals down. The advantage of this would be that you wouldn't really need to get rid of the larger pistol, since you can always keep it around as a home / vehicle defense option and possibly a concealed carry weapon, if that's an option for you at some point. (I'm assuming you're looking at the P11 for its ease of concealment and carry...?) One such pistol would be the Smith & Wesson Sigma SW9VE - plenty affordable (I got mine for about $325 new), VERY reliable, very comfortable to shoot, a good concealed carry / HD option, and the manual of arms are almost exactly the same as the P11 - even the trigger pull weight and length are very similar. Another option would be to look for a used Smith & Wesson 5906 - pretty much the same benefits as the SW9VE, except it has a DA/SA trigger and a manual safety / decocker, but the P11 accepts S&W 59 magazines so you'll have commonality in both caliber and magazines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My brother was at that time a legal Oregon resident. California has different drop test laws on single action only handguns so the only way for me the get it is to ffl transfer after buying it out of state. Which was done shortly after. And thanks for the imput on the first gun and the concern about the legality.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sounds like you have it all figured out at 21, good luck.
When I was 21 I was very confident about my decisions too, only years later learned how wrong I was on most things.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Just from my experience and observation, I think most of you guys who are steering the OP from the P-11 as a first handgun have developed some prejudices from being experienced with other handguns before having a P-11. While I grew up with a lot of experience shooting a 12 ga. shotgun and a .22lr rifle, I had very little experience shooting pistols. When I finally decided to purchase a pistol for my CCW I did quite a bit of research and went to a few gun stores and gun shows to see which gun I thought felt the best in my hand and in my waistband.

Now, the only pistols I had shot to this point were by step-dad's .38 revolver and my best buddy's S&W .44 mag and Ruger 9mm. All seemed much too heavy for an CCW option to me. In any case, I purchased my P-11 as my first pistol, and I have loved it ever since. Maybe I am a lucky guy becaue I've never had a problem with the pistol; I had a problem with an aftermarket 12 mag, but I never had a problem with the pistol and standard mags.

Maybe because the P-11 was my first pistol I am ignorant to the common complaints of more experienced gun owners. You know, complaints like: long & heavy trigger pull; the recoil is snappy and uncomfortable; its POA and POI are not like my more expensive full-sized pistols. You know stuff like that. I learned how to shoot a pistol with my P-11, and I think it's made me a better marksman for it. I won't ever place first in an IDPA or USPSA comps, but I sure would hold my own with my P-11 or any of my other pistols. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What the Cajun said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im the same way cajun with my 12ga but i went straight from my bb gun to a 7 mag savage just cuz it was a deal and left handed. Ive never learned the normal way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts