The KEL-TEC P-3AT is the lightest .380...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gilbertfamily2000, Mar 24, 2008.

1. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Just noticed the "updated" description under the P3AT link on the opening page! ;D

"The P-3AT is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. The firing mechanism is double action only. The magazine has a 6 round capacity. [highlight]The KEL-TEC P-3AT [/highlight]is the lightest .380 Auto pistol ever made."

I can only assume you mean the KEL-TEC P-3AT as opposed the Ruger LCP3AT is the lightest .380 Auto pistol ever made! ;D

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    To my knowlege, the P3AT is the lightest 380 pistol made (period) (bar none).  And, the 1st gen pistols are even lighter than the current crop.  The Ruger and the Kahr P380 will battle it out for 2nd place.  I think the Kahr may be 0.1 oz heavier than the Ruger but am not sure since it is not out yet.  :-/

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Ya know, it's funny how we gripe about who's gun is lighter and then turn around and add lazers, grip pads, extensions, extra rounds, and belt clips and never give weight a second thought. Coming from a guy who once carried a Jimenez .25 around it really doesn't matter all that much as long as you're good with what you've got when you need to be. On that thought I was never "good" with the .25 but can take care of business out to 25 yds with a p3at. For what these guns are designed for lighter is better IMO.

4. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

You've made a great point about the weight added with widgets. It's the same issue with cars...designed to be a certain weight for fuel economy, then the owners add 1,000 watt stereos, heavier tires/wheels, etc then complain about mpg... ;D

5. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    Didn't mean to sound like I was griping when I wrote the post! Just meant to point out that I just realized the good-natured jab at Ruger's new LCP that was newly inserted in the P3's description on the forum! ;D

GoVols

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Your not paying attention.  I believe I added those descriptions before the release of the LCP3AT.  At the same time, the description from KT's site was added to all of the gun forums. ;)

7. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    Your not paying attention. I believe I added those descriptions before the release of the LCP3AT. At the same time, the description from KT's site was added to all of the gun forums. ;)
    [/quote]

:D you're right...I wasn't paying close enough attention! I did know that the descriptions had been up for a while, but I thought the "newly inserted" part was the all caps "KEL-TEC P3AT", which I mistook for a light-natured swipe at the "elsie pea"! I hadn't noticed the "all caps" words before! I got a chuckle out of it anyway! ;D

GoVols

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  9. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Except that with all my added "widgets" it is still the same or lighter then the knockoffs and wanabees! :p

10. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Funny.
    I see many here add bigger mags, grips that are larger and laser sites.
    I bought out two for concealment purposes and the light weight. Why ruin a good thing?
    If I can't hit someone up close and personal which the factory # of shots I should not have a gun anymore.