Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple. Stuff you saw at the LGS or online or wherever that you actually considered purchasing, even if only for a moment, but wound up NOT purchasing because of ... whatever reason(s). Sorta like the opposite of the "What Gun Did You Buy Today?" thread, I suppose. :D

For me, today's non-purchase list included:

1. Taurus 592 (I think) chambered in .22 WMR ... with a TWELVE-INCH BARREL. Yeah. Need I say more? Okay, I will. Because I suck at brevity. It's a .22 WMR revolver, so it's not picky about bullet weights/velocity or whatever. It's a double-action with a swing-out cylinder, so it's easy load/unload. And, duh, it has an obscenely long barrel, which is important for ... uhh ... umm ... REASONS. But I didn't. Why? Because ... I'm not sure. No, seriously. I can't legitimately explain it. I probably should have got it. Heck, I might still. But ... why? I dunno. Again, reasons. Whatever;
2. Mossberg 930 - I've been saying for literally YEARS that I want one, but more specifically, I want a 930 JM Pro. This isn't that. It's just a 930 ... maybe a "tactical" model. Whatever. But still ... what am I gonna do with it? Home defense? Yeah, I suppose, but again ... why? Doesn't do anything my 590 won't already do. But it's been a few minutes since I've even seen ANY 930's in person, much less for a reasonable price, so ... tempting. But no deal. Why? Again, I dunno. Reasons;
3. Norinco SKS with a thumbhole stock that accepts AK magazines - given that I only have one actual AK and one AK pistol, but I have TWO AR's and one AK pistol that takes 5.56 ammo and AR mags (which sorta-kinda makes it an AR pistol, right?), then I technically have more AR's than AK's and I'm allllllll about balance. Plus, SKS's are kinda neat. And AK mags are a bit easier to reload than SKS stripper clips. And I like guns that are weird in general, anyways. (Did y'all not see the above two options? :D ) Plus, it actually looked to be in pretty decent shape. Soooooo, there's that;
4. Mossberg 500 Persuader - I've had, like, three of these things over the years. They're a known quantity. I know what they do. I know they are good. And this was in good shape, and at a good price. But I already have a 590 Mariner, which I've literally wanted since high school, so what use do I have for a plain-jane 500? I dunno. Steal the forearm from it, put it on my 590 and make it 100% OEM Mossberg? (Currently has a Hogue foregrip because the previous owner butchered it with a stupid pistol grip for the foregrip.) And then put the Hogue foregrip off the 590 on there, along with the Shockwave Raptor bird's head grip I have laying around, and use it for ... I dunno ... an absolutely unnecessary additional home defense gun? Because I'm already beyond a John Wick/Punisher level of guns-stashed-around-the-house level of preparedness, sooooo ... why not? :D But no ... I didn't get it;
5. Tristar AR-style 12-gauge shotgun of whatever model designation - It's FDE in color - AKA "baby-poo brown" - but it's all smooth and feels nice and familiar in the hands, and it takes commonly-used MKA1919 mags, which are easier than the Saiga-style mags that do the goofy AK-style "rock forward then back to insert" thing. Cheap? Yup. Feels good? Yup. Decent reviews online? As far as I can see, yup. But made in the USA? Ehhhh ... no. Made in Turkey. I'm wary of guns made by a country named after food. More honestly, I'm wary of giving money to a country who sponsors terrorist groups that have and still actively try to kill our troops, even though they masquerade as a member of NATO and are thusly SUPPOSED to be one of the "good guys." I know, semantics. Why is it pretty much EVERY semi-auto shotgun (and even some non-semi-auto ones) is made in Turkey nowadays, anyways? W'ssup with that?
6. Smith & Wesson Shield M2.0 Performance Center non-ported 4" model - yes, that's literally the full title of that thing, and yes, it's literally about as long as the whole darned pistol, itself. Why get one? I had one before chambered in .45 ACP - LOVED it. Have a regular M2.0 Shield now - love it. Longer barrel/slide of the same thing with a better trigger, both which make for an easier-to-shoot carry piece? Should love it even more, right? BUT ... not on the department's approved carry list. Will they approve it later? Maybe. Should I buy it NOW and hope they approve it LATER? Ehhhh ... dunno. Kind of a gamble. That said, I already bought a kydex holster for a 4" model Shield, mainly because of how I figure it'll change how my current regular Shield carries because of the barrel/slide length issue - hey, $35 for a holster is cheaper than $700+ for a whole new gun, right?

There were some other randoms there, but ... those were the ones that really made me stop and go, "Hmmmmm," and contemplate turning loose of my silly $600 stimulus money to stimulate the local economy. But I didn't. Because ... reasons.

Soooooooooo ... how 'bout y'all? Seen any lately that you alllllllllmost brought home, but didn't?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Webley MK VI that had been shaved for .45 ACP. Other than being modified, gun was in excellent condition and the seller only wanted $500 for it. But I passed because I wanted an unmodified version in .455. Or at least I thought I did. I later found someone who made back plates for shaved Webley cylinders so you could safely shoot .455 and low pressure .45 ACP. I could have had the best of both worlds. I kick myself for not buying it when I had a chance. Prices on modified MK VI revolvers has gone up quite a bit in the last several years.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was always interested in bullpups and had started saving up for one. I hadn't decided which company would get my hard earned money when the Desert Tech MDR was announced. It had everything I wanted in a bullpup and more. After fondling a Tavor X95, a Steyr Aug, and an RDB, I decided to go ahead with getting the MDR despite the steep price of $2500. I called Desert Tech and they told me there was a huge backlog and they could put me on their list. I decided to think about it and eventually passed on it. I am glad I did as the first version was a disaster.

Eventually, I ended up with a K&M Arms M17S in 5.56 and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor in the gun library at my local Cabelas some years ago... I stood fondling it for probably 45 minutes and had to fight myself not to risk being short on rent.

It’s still on my wish list; there’s just something elegant about them.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
A "coach gun" (side-by-side double barreled short shotgun) - in the end, I couldn't come up with a reason why I'd need one, and figured I'd never shoot it

A Derringer - ditto above reason

A Russian PSL - I finally figured I might want something more modern and accurate

A "mare's leg" (lever action pistol) - would be a hoot to shoot, but unwieldy, and accurate shooting would be near impossible

Another revolver - I already have several older built revolvers from S&W, Colt and Ruger - anything else is probably no better than, and most likely a step down from, those

Something in .22 Hornet (single shot or bolt) - I don't know why I got the hots for this cartridge way back when, I've never shot one, never even seen one, but it just seemed cool reading about it at the time

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
At the same gun show a Thompson, passed it because of the way the hand grip was attached & a Calico, just too much money. At another gun show I walked away from an Old Model 30 Carbine Blackhawk. Came to my senses 2 aisles away & ran back, picked it up & waited til the vender got done with the sale he was processing. $350 OTD, cash sale.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I once walked away from an SKS with a painted green stock. It would've been for a brush gun anyway. I ended up buying a Marlin-Glenfield .30-30 from 1969 instead. It's a good brush gun, although I have yet to shoot a deer with it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it was last year about this time, I got an email from my LGS that they had a sale on Ruger LCR in 38 special for $199.00.

I stopped in and they had one left.

The thing is, I still had a balance on my credit card and just didn't feel like putting anything else on it at the time. I had plenty available credit, just didn't feel like charging anything else.

I told him I would pick up one later and he said "you won't ever see it this price again".

He was right.

I sure wish I had gotten it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My LGS has a 1950’s built m1 garand for $900 right now. I been by and checked it out twice now, second time to verify markings I’d
researched.
...and the charter .327 magnum revolver is back in the case after someone lay-awayed it for awhile then changed their mind... all stainless and gorgeous

·
Registered
9 Posts
A S&W model 58 .41 magnum that was lying on a gunshow table. Guy wanted less than market value but I passed. A friend came along behind me and got it for way less ($250, I think :eek: ) and then sold it to someone not knowing it was a dream gun of mine.
A Styer AUG, one of the original semi-autos with the 1x scope. At the time there was a police only deal (and I at the time was not yet retired) that was about half price. I was going to borrow out of my retirement, buy two, sell one to another LEO collector at full price, pay myself back, and essentially have one for free. BUT I balked at the thought of borrowing the cash AND bilking someone to pay double what I paid. I'm too nice, I really am.
An M1 Garand in great shape a buddy was selling for $800. I didn't want to dip into savings ... y'know ... I'm noticing a trend here: I said no to a dream gun of mine because, though under valued, it was more than I wanted to pay, said no to a great opportunity for essentially a free rifle because of some short-term financial risk, AND no to a beautiful and way-under-priced Garand ... I have realized I am a cheap bas--- er ... I'm a cheapskate. 😆😅😂🤣

Reactions: mtn_chef and RAT76

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
A S&W model 58 .41 magnum that was lying on a gunshow table. Guy wanted less than market value but I passed. A friend came along behind me and got it for way less ($250, I think :eek: ) and then sold it to someone not knowing it was a dream gun of mine.
A Styer AUG, one of the original semi-autos with the 1x scope. At the time there was a police only deal (and I at the time was not yet retired) that was about half price. I was going to borrow out of my retirement, buy two, sell one to another LEO collector at full price, pay myself back, and essentially have one for free. BUT I balked at the thought of borrowing the cash AND bilking someone to pay double what I paid. I'm too nice, I really am.
An M1 Garand in great shape a buddy was selling for $800. I didn't want to dip into savings ... y'know ... I'm noticing a trend here: I said no to a dream gun of mine because, though under valued, it was more than I wanted to pay, said no to a great opportunity for essentially a free rifle because of some short-term financial risk, AND no to a beautiful and way-under-priced Garand ... I have realized I am a cheap bas--- er ... I'm a cheapskate. 😆😅😂🤣
This sounds a like lot me. I think I need it, then I talk myself out of it. Wife says I am a cheapskate. Who's to argue with the wife. LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ithaca 37 Stakeout. A Class 3 dealer had it, but I didn't get it.
SSK suppressor, back when they were $500 + stamp.
Colt Sporter in 9mm, I think it was about $600. Then again, the Federal Ordnance .308 Garand rebuild I got for $440 is a pretty nice shooter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tavor X95. I still want one, but certainly have other responsible things to spend that kind of cash on. I am past the point of "needing" anymore guns, anyway. I will have one someday after I sell off something and soothe my conscience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pachmyr dominator in 308 win on an essex 1911. Never seen another in my area
Imbel FAL, went to get money and it sold before i got back

Several target air rifles. Also rare in my area. Last one i told the guy i would rake it when my stint as door guard for the gunshow at the local club ended, about 30 minutes, he sold it before i got done. It was a hell of a good price

1 - 17 of 17 Posts