Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.rr.com/entertainment/topic/article/rr/25218772/66496686/The_Freedom_to_Be_Fat

This article appeared on my homepage this morning. The author, MICHAEL TOMASKY, actually advocates food laws to control people's weight as a good thing. After all, in his mind, freedom is nothing more than "mere selfishness or stupidity." The only stupidity I see in this article is what MICHAEL TOMASKY wrote!!!!!

He mentions personal responsibility but goes on to say that personal responsibility isn't enough. Therefore, in his mind, the government has to take care of us. I do agree that person responsibility lays the blame for a person's actions at his or her feet. That includes my weight. However, the government has no business in our personal lives to the extent that government tell us what to eat and what not to eat. This fundamental principle is why Obamacare is being handled by SCOTUS right now. The government has no business being that involved in any free person's life!

Back in a very different era, my dad drove a 1974 Chrysler Imperial. An insane artifact by today's standards, it featured a 7.2-liter engine and had an interior that was larger in footprint terms than many New York City kitchens.

Today, that Imperial-in the new, post-OPEC crisis world, Chrysler started making them smaller the very next year-is a symbol of an age that's unthinkable to most of us today. I've long thought that today's equivalent of the Imperial is that massive tub of movie popcorn, large enough that an infant could be bathed in it. One of these days, after we've quit worrying about labels like "nanny state" and sorted out the difference between "freedom" and mere selfishness or stupidity, we'll look back on it as madness. Until then, we'll have Democratic White Houses overruling the FDA out of fear of Fox News. . . .

I don't want to pass laws mandating the eating of broccoli. But I do want us to understand how wrong and simple-minded our definition of freedom is today. Any time the government appears to be suggesting some program aimed at getting people to do something that is obviously good for themselves-buying health insurance, not eating a bucket of popcorn big enough that two cats could screw in it-a certain number of idiots jump up and cry "Ha! Nanny state! Taking away my freedom!" This, according to that Times article, is what the Obama administration feared Fox and Glenn Beck would do if it issued too many new FDA rulings.

Well, in one sense, any person is "free" to eat as much Snickers-bar cheesecake as he likes. But that isn't actually what freedom means. Actual freedom contains elements of responsibility and recognition of oneself as an actor within this larger thing we try to call society. Eating anything you want isn't a definition of freedom. It's just indulgence. And it says something depressing about our country that it is permitted to masquerade as the former.

I'd love to see the Obama administration defend its FDA a little more strongly. I met and covered FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg when she was David Dinkins's health commissioner in New York in the early 1990s. Believe me, that was not an administration in which many people amassed sterling records of service. She did.

But it's not going to be a liberal presidential administration that changes our habits along these lines, alas. Government is too discredited in many people's minds for that. One of these days, though, McDonald's or somebody is going to say: "You know what? We're done serving super-size portions of fries. We're going back to 1970s portions." And that may start a trend toward more health-consciousness that others will follow. When it's corporations taking away "freedom," people might not mind so much.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
That's the problem with a democracy...let's pass a law to take away someone else's rights.

Shouldn't happen in a republic...like we're supposed to have.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Typical leftist thinking. Plus I don't trust anyone that would call a 440 Magnum a 7.2 liter. We are Americans, not citizens of the World.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The road to totalitarianism is always paved with laws to make you do what is "right" But who decides what is right? It is an axiom that the more you are forced to do what is "good for you" the less freedom you will have-until ultimately you have none at all.

Jim R

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't understand how anyone, media our otherwise, can trust anything the govt does under the guise of "democracy" or " freedom" any more. Doors that author live under water or is he just on the same " black out" funding as the FDA? We should all be ashamed as Americans for not marching to Washington and demanding our govt back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts