Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of my trip to the range today, I have put 100 rounds through my p3at. :)

I've used a combination of Magtech, American Eagle and Independence. All ammo was FMJ. IMO, American Eagle 95g. was the best shooting of the lot.

The only thing I've done to the gun since purchasing it is break it down and clean it after each trip to the range. So this is a snapshot of a p3at out-of-the-box.

Observations.
Out of 100 rounds, I had 2 FTFs, giving this piece a 2% failure rate. That's about 1.999% more than I care for in a carry gun. I can still work with it. Some tweaking is in order, maybe the fluff-n-buff will help. Anyway, both failures were with the Independence brand ammo, both were on round #5 and with a two-handed grip.

This little gun also shoots surprisingly well one-handed. In fact, strong-hand only has become my preferred shooting method with this piece.

It does have a little bit of snap to it, but not the bite some people mention. Glad I don't listen to people with limp wrists ::)

Disassembly, clean up and reassemly have been a snap. And the hardchrome finish is very easy to clean. I use CLP on the frame and rails and Tetra grease on the slide.

I am noticing some peening in odd places. For instance, lead corner of rail on right side, how does that get banged up? And I am already noticing the guid rod hole peening. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to put Kel-Tec's customer service through their paces and see if they're as good as everyone says they are.

In summary.
Very pleased with this piece, not overly impressed with quality of the parts and materials but pleased with its performance. It will be my Summer carry piece and I feel pretty good about employing it.

It'd be nice if Kel Tec would refine their machining process or come up with another generation of this design - one that's a bit more durable and out-of-the-box reliable. Maybe use some higher quality materials, heck, I'd spend a few more bucks for that.

Anyway, glad I finally picked one up.
Kel-Tec P3-AT: it's a keeper!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Two FTL out of 100 is not bad during break in. You might not have ANY during the next 100. Check that your BH screw is tight.

Remove slide and reassemble without springs. Now check for any roughness or hindrance to slide action.

Packer.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The wear you see on the front leading edge of the right side of the frame is normal. That's caused by brass hitting there as it flips off of the ejector. Just knock off any burrs and it will wear to a point and not increase any more.

It sounds to me as if the only thing you need to do is polish the feed ramp and shoot it some more.

The slide peening........ Well, you've read the threads on that issue.

It sounds as if you'll be OK with a few more rounds unless the front hole in the slide keeps enlarging which will mean a new slide.....

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Counting pixels, I would say the thickness around the rod guide hole is only 0.020" (1/2 a dime thick?). While not "paper thin" it is not as thick as others.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
deltacharlie said:
Wouldn't a washer just prolong the inevitable?
And ?

There is not a long term history for the use of the nylon washer. However I have over 200 rnds on my washer and can't see any wear on it. But my slide was 0.050" thich to begin with and had a flat bottom.

I ALMOST wish for a paper thin slide so I could torture test (but couldn't afford the ammo right now) :-[

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.