Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has any follow-up observations about that small hole or gouge that several members reported seeing on the underside of 2G slides (I call it the "ding thing") ?

I noticed it on mine during initial F&B and made a note of it. Went to range and the 'Lil Beaut' functioned perfectly with no issues :D. During cleaning afterward, I inspected the ding and did not notice any change (no noticable growth in size) after putting 4 - 5 magazines through it at the range.

Is the ding a non-event or something to keep on the radar screen ?

Tks,

ION

G

·
Ion, the ding is still the same on mine after 200 more rounds. I believe that it did not grow in size due to rounding off the corner on the frame. I don't think it is a problem unless it snags on the frame, or penetrates the slide metal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have a ding thing and have fired around 500 rounds without it doing anything. I am like you other guys who are waiting patiently for someone else to send theirs back and find out what KT says. Someone send theirs in and let us know what you find it. I plan on keeping mine in my pocket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Boris,

Tks again for the info and your reply. I'm guessing that, if the ding resulted in any kind of widespread performance issue, we would have heard about it by now (more than just that one critical failure that brought this issue in to the limelight).

Boris I am going to smooth out the edge of my frame where you indicated in your posted photo. I'll hit it right where the shiny glare shows up in the photo as you indicated.

I just want to be sure not to over do it. If you don't mind me driving you nuts asking for details.... How did you do yours ? 400 or 600 wet/dry ? Just for reference...how much time did you sand it until you thought it was smooth enough ? Would it be too much to wrap some 600 grit on a dremel and hit it with 4000 - 5000 RPM for half a minute ? I know its all relative to the pressure applied but, maybe you can put me in the ballpark !

Thanks for your help !

Rgds,

ION

G

·
Hello Ion, I just used a small metal hand file like the ones you can buy from sears or any other tool store. The one thing you have to keep in mind is that the frame is aluminum so you can just file it without applying pressure. I filed until the corner was slightly rounded off and was smooth to the touch, and this did not take more than five minutes. I would suggest using the hand files over a power tool due to the fact that you can control your hand better than the tool, and it is not that hard to remove the material. Just remember to only do as little filing as possible on the frame and to take your time. Good luck and keep asking me questions if you need more advice, I do not mind at all.

Here is a link to the metal hand files:http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00906757000

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Boris ! :D

I just did the work as you described and it feels just right !

Before I started I visually inspected the corner and their was an obvious rough edge there...it clearly had been impacting something during firing and it does seem to line up exactly where that tiny ding in the slide is. I also closed my eyes just to get the "feel" of the corner and felt a raised burr along the top.

Took off the burr with the hand file and rounded the corner very slightly. Finished off with a little rub of some 600 grit wet/dry just to make it extra smooth.

I wasn't particularly worried about it before...now, tks to your help...I believe I can "file" this Ding as done.

Tks Again !

ION

G

·
Hi Ion, glad to hear that everything worked out so well with the P3AT:). Sounds like you did everything perfect, and now the slide ding should not get any bigger. I have now put 200 more rounds through mine and have not noticed anymore wear since I filed the frame. Please let us know if everything works out ok after the next range visit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
merrittarnold said:
I am like you other guys who are waiting patiently for someone else to send theirs back and find out what KT says. Someone send theirs in and let us know what you find it. I plan on keeping mine in my pocket.
I sent mine in for this exact problem (mine was the initial post) and it is supposed to be delivered to my house Monday. I will let you know what they did.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My SG P-3AT is at Florida Boot Camp for attitude adjustment on extracting. I ask that they take a look at the small hole and assure me that it would not weaken the slide. I’ll post Kel-Tec’s reply when my wayward child returns.

Wilson – who’s a good Daddy ::)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Wilson said:
I ask that they take a look at the small hole and assure me that it would not weaken the slide
My request as to the hole in the underside of the slide was unanswered by Kel-Tec. Chances are they decided fixing pistols took priority. A good call, as far as I’m concerned.

For those that are still curious, it’s the bottom of a hole, milled a fraction too deep, for the 1/8 inch round peg at the base of the extractor. Any debris entering through this hole would have little chance to effect the operation of the pistol. I‘m glad this is simply over milling and not a problem that could weaken the slide :)

Wilson – who’s playing solitaire by replying to his own post :-/

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Wilson said:
For those that are still curious, it’s the bottom of a hole, milled a fraction too deep, for the 1/8 inch round peg at the base of the extractor. Any debris entering through this hole would have little chance to effect the operation of the pistol. I‘m glad this is simply over milling and not a problem that could weaken the slide :)
CNC mills don't just mill "a fraction too deep", without some operator error or input!

;D ;D ;D
rcmodel
Who is wondering why the guy running the CNC machine still has a job!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it’s the bottom of a hole, milled a fraction too deep, for the 1/8 inch round peg at the base of the extractor.
Hi Wilson,

You may be playing solitare, but a lot of folks are looking over your shoulder trying to learn something ! ;)

I am wondering if we are talking about the same "ding." The one on my slide (and in the photos in that original thread started by mpholic with the call-outs and arrows) showed a shallow gouge or dent on the underside of the slide. Except for mpholic's extreme case of the hole poking all the way through (like a rip), these dents were just shallow scars that looked like they were caused by direct impact with the frame corner (Boris pointed it out). Those small dents did not poke through to a cavity or drilled hole above them (if I'm understanding your description of the issue correctly).

I'm no gunsmith so I may be missing something...are we talking about the same thing ?

Tks !

ION

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
rcmodel said:
CNC mills don't just mill "a fraction too deep", without some operator error or input!
You’re assuming the design of the SG P-3AT doesn’t call for the depth of the hole to intersect the plane of the milling on the underside of the slide :)

Wilson – who’s still calling it a design flaw, as he has seen the light . . . . . . . . shining through the hole ;D

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Wilson said:
You’re assuming the design of the SG P-3AT doesn’t call for the depth of the hole to intersect the plane of the milling on the underside of the slide :)

Wilson – who’s still calling it a design flaw, as he has seen the light . . . . . . . .  shining through the hole  ;D
Yea, but if it is designed that way, then every slide in existance should have the exact same hole. And I don't think they do, although I have yet to see a real live 2G, other then in pictures.

;D
rcmodel

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
ionengine said:
Those small dents did not poke through to a cavity or drilled hole above them
Yours may not be completely through if it has a bulge. It’s only because your metal had a bit of give as opposed to staying firm and taking it like a man :)

I doubt I would poke through to the Extractor hole for proof but you are looking at the bulging bottom edge of an extractor hole.

Wilson – who’s a bit surprised his Frankenstein Bolt didn’t have any Loctite around it :-/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yours may not be completely through if it has a bulge
Tks Wilson...I'm learning but, still not 100% sure I get it. If the extractor hole is milled from above and got close to poking through the bottom of the slide, I would expect a downward bulge to form as the metal reacted to the downward vertical pressure (without popping all the way through).

But, my slide (and the photos of similar dents others have posted) has a scoop or gouge moving up into the slide (rather than a buldge pushing down).

The scoop, gouge, ding or whatever we're calling it lines up to where the burrs have been noted on the corner of the frame.

Anyway...except for the one case mpholic reported...I haven't seen any posts that indicate this is an area for concern.

My 2G and 1G both have been shooting great...

ION - who appreciates the great advice from those KTOGers that have been working on guns longer than me.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
ionengine said:
But, my slide (and the photos of similar dents others have posted) has a scoop or gouge moving up into the slide (rather than a buldge pushing down).
The bulge was pushed in when the gun was test fired by Kel-Tec. That’s how the frame was damaged as it pushed the bulge back in the hole.

Wilson – who’s now wondering why his new leaf extractor spring is longer than his old one ???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK...now I get it, tks !

So...with the burr smoothed off the frame...there should be no further contact with the ding. And if the dent / hole is not going to weaken the slide or deteriorate in any way...I can put the ding issue in the non-event file and keep having fun shooting this little sucker. ;D

Good luck with your 2G Dr. Wilson...sounds like you are performing surgery right now. :eek:

Tks,

ION

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
I asked them to look at ding first time I returned my 2g. They sent it back with new barrel and slide that did not have ding. It subsequently locked open so tightly, during firing, that I couldn't move the slide at all. So I had to send it back again. I will let you know how it comes back. Packer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts