Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 60 of 155 Posts
Remington Golden Sabres

FMJ or JHP?

Ok, I tend to run cheaper ammo thru at the range, pricey stuff for carry. Yeah, I fire enough "good" ammo to be sure it works with my gun, and I know how to shoot it.
Now i've got a question. My 44 mag can slap a 190 grain soft point bullet pretty quick. Go right thru ya if you were in the wrong place. If you put in a 240 gain hollow point it is more like the projectile pops a drag chute. Slows the puppie down so it dosen't come out the back side. Drops more energy into the perp.
Now I pick up my little p3 again. Lite load, short barrel not tons of energy. They say you should have 12 inches of penetration in a SD round. If my little .355 in, 90 grain hyda shock pops a drag chute as it goes thru the jacket and shirt and skin of a bad guy am I left with to little umf? Ok, I allued to question earlier, here it is. Might a FMJ be better coming out of a (sorry guys) weak gun than a JHP? It would have a better chance of reaching the good stuff deep inside said perp. I can't belive there is much chance of FMJ's coming out the back of a guy. Wouldn't a round or two of unexpanded FMJ in the middle of a robber be better than some nicely mushrumed rounds in the rib cage?

Anyone out there with an opionon? Care to comment?

Re: FMJ or JHP?

I'm like you, I always carry JHP, but this is a really good question. I'll be interested to see what the "experts" say, because I really don't have any good data one way or the other on this one.

alternate stacking FMJ and JHP in the mag problem solved. best of both worlds.

this is not really an unanswerable question as it is fortunately mainly based in speculation.

as for me i figured if i need 12 inches of bullet penetration to hit someone's vitals i might be better off handing them another hamburger as they're more dangerous to themselves than anyone else.

I was also thinking the same thing. But you know the 12 inches that the FBI recommends includes assumptions about the necessity of penetrating obstacles such as arms, glass, etc at various angles they also emphasize the importance of massive blood loss so the larger the diameter of the projectile and thus the amount of upset and tissue damage the more rapidly supposedly this will occur. I've researched this topic to ad nauseum and if you can believe the results of the Brass Catcher seems like the 90 grain Federal Personal Defense load is possibly the Holly Grail of 380 ammo reaching the recommended death of twelve inches in ballistic gelatin. Only thing is that I've heard that these results are not consistent, maybe someone more knowledgeable then myself can comment on this.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/90 grain Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok.html

Tom j.

Bobo, my humble apoligies. I missed the older thread. I just read it thru and it has some great info. i'll try some swap loaded mags at my range. Again, sorry I goofed, sorry I missed that thread earlier. This is a great site. The info really makes ya think. Thanks guys. Lop

Before we here in the USA were even into small/large calibre handguns the Europeans were already into the subject. They used a lot of 32 auto and 380 auto handguns and usually used a lead round nose or FMJ round nose bullet. Thier belief was that with the small calibre rounds penetration was more important than expansion. Actually with a 32 auto or 380 auto cartridge in a short barrel handgun the velocity will not be high enough to cause a lot of expansion even with JHP ammo. I know you have seen ammo tests that show fully expanded JHP rounds after being fired into ballistic gel or even into wet newspapers. Yes, even short barrel guns can expand HP ammo if everything is right. But after all, NOBODY (at least 99.9%) wants to get shot by anything, even an air rifle. Even a 25 auto is better than throwing rocks. Oh, by the way, I use hand loaded Remington 88 grain JHP bullets. They feed through my 380 handgun with no problems and they hit what I am shooting at. And no magic bullet is going to be a man stopper from a mouse gun. Although a round in the head usually does the job.

Thanks,
Charles Houck

I've seen several reports and it looks like the same four or five rounds always make the top of the list.
I've shot the Federal Hyra-shok 90gr ......Corbon 90gr jhp.....and the Hornady 90gr xtp.
Have all three in the ammo box.

I'm now carrying the Corbon.

All three have shot flawless in my gun.
The Corbon did seem to have a little more kick to it when i was shooting all three rounds.

41 - 60 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.