Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone actually use theirs?  I loved the idea so ordered one for Twin #1 before it went back to KT.  When it came back from KT they had installed it for me and it fell off into the muck after about 10 rounds last Friday.  

I called KT and asked them to replace the bent clip and screw as it came off right away after they installed it.  They would not unless I sent them the "broken" one.  I asked what would happen if I could not find it because it FELL OFF while out shooting in the woods?  They (the guy in Service) suggested I could buy a new one...  I still don't know whether this was acceptable to me or not.

But nonetheless, I beat the one straight and went to the awesome mom and pop hardware store and found some replacement screws for it and installed it with Blue Lok-Tite.  This time it lasted about 20 rounds before it fell off.

Now, before having it fall off it seemed frustrating because I could not wear it IWB with the clip and still be able to reach between my pants and the gun to draw so that was out.  It did help it stay up at the top of my boot but it mostly stayed there anyway without the clip.  

At this point the belt clip and all the extra parts are back in the parts box unless some of you have any better ideas to make it useful to ME - in other words, no crisp $1.00 bills Wilson  :)

-Scott

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Scott,  I've had a clip on my P3 for quite a while.  It does not work well for me IWB (at 4:00) as it is hard to get the gun out.  The P11 clipped in the same place works well because the butt is outside of my pants.  ( I know how that sounds guys, don't laugh)

As far as it coming loose I have not had that problem with the P3 clip.  When I installed it I cleaned the threads both internal and external with brake cleaner and then used blue Loctite.

After a couple of dozen rounds it did start to loosen up but was no problem.  I just tightened it up again.  Not so the P11, that sucker lossens up real quick.

I would say that the clips are not the best idea on a range gun but for concealed carry, I LIKE THEM!

I am kinda surprised at the response from service.  When I lost the first set of screws at the range with my P11 they sent me a new set of pins and screws no problem.  

A week or so ago I called service and talked to a nice lady.  I told her I didn't have a serious problem but my belt clip screws kept loosening up and did she have any ideas.

3 days later I had another new set of pins and screws.  Brake cleaner and loctite and after 20 rounds or so of 9mm followed by 20 rounds of .40 cal they backed out about a turn.

All I can say, and this applies to all service calls, if you don't get great response, wait a bit and call again.  You will probably get someone else and be very pleased.  I guess it would be a good idea to get the name of the GOOD tech and ask for her by name in the future.

Good luck and keep after it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have the belt clip on the .32, .380, and p-11 and love them all. I also carry the .380 at 4:00 just behind my 3:00 belt loop. I carry it canted forward, just like the p-11 naturally sits. The butt of the gun resting on top of my belt and pants. I tried carrying it like I think it was originally intended, the belt clip flush at a 90 degree with my belt and pushed down all the way so that it is literally hiding and not visible, and I too could not get at it and drawn quick enough if needed to fire. >:(

As for it shaking loose, I put the locktite on the p-11 clip, but none on the other two and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a P-11/40 (depending on the last configuration i took it to the range in) IWB @ 1:30 and a P3AT IWB @10:30 with a right side clip, cross draw style. (I prefer my guns in front of me so I can watch out for them all the time)

After using blue locktite, I have had no problems with either. I did torque them pretty tight.

I rely on the P-11/40 for first response, and I can draw it pretty well with the clip. I agree that the 3AT does set lower than I would like, but I find I can actually carry it IWB with a tucked in shirt and still have it concealed.

The technique I have developed for drawing the 3AT from this position is this:
As I lift my shirt with my left hand, I stick my right hand in my pants, palm towards the body, at the belt buckle up to the thumb. Then I slide my hand left, between the gun and my pants, making sure the fingers are together and contacting the front of trigger guard, covering the trigger access without intruding into it. I then grip the handle with the last two fingers and lift.

It takes some practice with, with snap caps, to become proficient this way, but like I said, I draw the P11/40 first.

Works for me, may not work for you. If not, try a pocket holster.

BTW, I tried to bend the clip on my wifes 32 just a little and it snapped hard, sending shards of metal everywhere. If yours actually bent, it probably is not tempered properly and therefore might not hold very well. ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I have never been a fan of those things. I like to have the trigger covered by a holster. YMMV. :-/

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine has lost its temper after little use. I'm going to try and adapt a belt clip from my Kershaw tatical knife (1670BLKST)--about the same size. The Kershaw belt clip will never loose its temper

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
You should be able to order a new one from Kershaw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had mine on for about 3 minutes before the sharp unfinished edge of the stamped metal cut my index finger while attempting to draw the P3.
I removed the clip, left the pin in and torqued the screw down thinking that some day I would file the edges and put it back on.
The next time that I was at the range I noticed that the screw was backing it self out after a few rounds. I went home, replace the original frame pin, put the rest of the parts in a bag and it's now awaiting an eBay listing when I have some spare time.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update - I replaced the pin.  It seems I was not able to get the screw to tighten down all the way with the old pin as it seemed to bottom out on something.

New pin, new screw, blue lok-tite and 107 rounds today without loosening up.

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
That's good news. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.