The critical defense craze is ridiculous

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by patscrazy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. patscrazy

patscrazy Guest

Feb 22, 2009
    I'm venting for sure with this thread.  I live in MA and I can't find Hornady CD in any stores locally.  So I turn to Gunbroker to buy some.  There are several auctions but the prices people are charging to begin with and the price people are paying for it, is getting ridiculous.  I realize that its supply and demand. Its tough to find any .380 in most places to begin with.  So the demand for what has been deemed "the best" .380 round, is going to be really high.  But its getting bad.  One auction I was bidding on went for $160 plus shipping for 4 boxes.  One auction is set with a buy it now price of $198 for 4 boxes! One box auctions are up over $45 now, and that doesn't include shipping.  Sure I would like to have some for my 3AT, but I'm not going to start paying $2 a round for it either.  I will stick with what I have now, Rem GS and FMJ's.  Im trying to convince myself that its not worth overpaying that much for ammo that maybe marginally better than what I already have. Maybe ATG will get some in soon, but unfortunately I really don't see the price of this ammo going down much in the near future.  Whewww... I feel better now! :D

2. JB

JB Guest

I want to try some Hornady CD for my P3AT.  I also want some in standard pressure .38 Special.  Haven't seen any in .380 but I have found some in .38.  Problem is, it was at a store that is gouging prices out the wazoo and I refuse to buy it from them.  Right now, all I have are some Remington UMC JHPs.  I have been carrying those in my backup mag (have a few Hydrashoks left that are in the primary mag) because, from the tests I have seen, few HPs expand reliably and consistently out of the P3AT, anyway - so I don't see the sense in paying a premium price for premium rounds that may not open up any better than the value pack stuff and, unlike FMJ, there is at least the chance that they will expand.  That said, I have seen tests with good results from CorBon and have heard good things about the Hornady CD.  If they perform as well as they seem to, the extra $$ might be worth it -but I can't find any of either in my area (and couldn't even before the shortage.)  I have never been someone who liked to 'mail order' (or Internet order) anything, but if the ammo craze ever ends and I still can't find any, I guess that will be my only option.  Until then, I figure that (Heaven forbid it ever comes to it, anyway) the BG who gets shot with Remington UMC JHPs will be just as shot as the BG who gets shot with Hornady CD or CorBon.  

3. KelTex78

KelTex78 Active Member

Jan 10, 2009
    i just received my box of Hornady CD I had ordered from Cabela's last week. It only took them a couple of days to get my order shipped. I'm not sure how long the backorder wait will be now.

4. robbiedaman

robbiedaman Guest

May 26, 2008
    I go onto gunjoker every once in a while for a good laugh. You can get it bad enough if you want it bad enough... i just wish it wasn't such a bad legislative environment for ammo companies to invest in increasing production to enjoy the increased volume of sales as much as the retailers are these days.

5. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wow, that is bad.  I ordered 6 boxes of .380 Critical Defense from Ammo To Go back in the first week of February and the cost came to $17.95 each with $1.11 shipping per box when I spread the shipping charges over all the boxes of ammo in that order.

Be patient.  The prices have to start coming down soon when all the .380 shooters with more money than brains get tired of paying those inflated prices.

Ed

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I am new to the .380 world so I guess I screwed up last week. I had the oportunity to buy 8 boxes of CD for just over $17 each plus tax. I only bought 2 because I did not know if they were any good or not and for sure did not know they were that rare.

7. frankmako

frankmako Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    the price is high and will get higher. all brands and types of 380 ammo has gone sky high.

8. Onegone

Onegone Guest

Mar 30, 2009
    I really think the craze will be over soon. I have seen the local ammo shelfs starting to restock around here. I think in three or four months there will be plenty of .380 to go around as well as other calibers. (fingers crossed)

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The Hornady CD is great ammo. I bought two boxes last week at my LGS for 18.50 a box. I could make a killing on GB but "I won't! I know ammo is getting scarce but I hope this insanity stops soon. I talked to the owner at my LGS today. He said the makers have not raised their prices at all. He said it's the retail stores raising the prices which he hasn't done! Whatever he gets he sells at his regular markup. Bought 5 boxes today for under 80.00 for 4 boxes of 9mm and 1 box .380. 2 of the 9mm were HSM GD HPs the rest was fmj target loads. Bill is a great guy. He'll still be in business when no one else is. He's as honest as the day is long. ;D

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I have a lot of respect for LGS folks that don't rape people just because they can. We can say what we want to about the "market" forces and such but I would be willing to bet that nobody liked the $4 plus gas last summer and it was certainly driven by "market" forces.

11. Engineer

Engineer Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I put five boxes on backorder at Cabela's on 3/26 with a notice that it would take about a week or so to ship and I received my order on 4/6. Now it says about 2 to 3 weeks to ship. Unfortunately, all my LGS' seem to be out of any type of .380.

12. motorcarrier

motorcarrier New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    There was only one box of CD when I bought my P-3AT yesterday and I took it. The dealer didn't know when he'd get any more but Hornady is only 45 miles from here. I sure hope that makes a difference.

[​IMG]

13. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Who makes that hard case? ^^^^

I'd also like to try the CD ammo. After seeing some tests on here about Golden Sabres not mushrooming I've swapped my Hydrashoks back in until I can find this stuff.

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Don't know how makes it but that is the case that KTs have been shipping in for about a year now, or at least it seems like it has been about that long.

-Scott

15. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Ohhh... I have a 1st gen so I wouldn't know. Mine came with a tiny zippered nylon thing

16. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I recently purchased 2 P3AT's(past 4 months)one for me , the other for my son, and they both came in the hard case. One had a pad lock for the trigger and the other had a cable lock. The manual states they come in a soft cloth zippered bag. I don't know which would be better. Since I always carry mine, it's never in the box anyway. The grey/blue seems to be gaining in popularity. Ammo is ridiculous to find.

17. JB

JB Guest

All in a 'luxurious' white cardboard box?  Yeah, mine too (also first gen.)  I have to say, though, that I'd give up the plastic case for being able to get another one for what I paid for mine, NIB.

18. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I haven't nought any .380 this year. Fortunately, I still have a reasonable supply because Monday my Local Jewelry Store said they haven't had any in 2 months. No one else in St. Johns County has either.

19. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Went to my trusty LGS and was told he would not sell me more then 2 boxes of ammo unless I used his range. I stated I purchased both of my P3AT's from him and that should count for something. He said he makes his money on range time. I told him I live on 60 acres and did not need his range. After a few more pleadings on my part he sold me 4 boxes.

20. Engineer

Engineer Member

Apr 7, 2009
    One of my local shops has a similar policy of only selling .380 for range use. You could buy a box to shoot at the range and if you wanted another box, you and had to return the empty box/brass to buy a new one.